Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Help with Valve Adjustment PLEASE (Read 191 times)
Mortation

Help with Valve Adjustment PLEASE
03/14/09 at 18:32:09

This is driving me bonkers.  On the compression stroke you should hear intake noise and if you don't stop at TDC you get a poof of air out of the spark plug hole.  Next go round those sounds are absent.  Next go round stop at TDC and viola.

Right???

If so then I got TDC, got my decomp cable set but there is STILL no free play in either rocker arm.  Actually no matter what there is no free play in my rocker arms.

Both arms are up, piston is TDC and no play.  And I cant get a feeler guage in anywhere for the life of me to check clearance Sad

Anyone have any advice on this?

1988 LS650 - Candy Apple Red w/ Ghost Flames, Harley muffler, S40 seat, white spacer Mod, #55 pilot, #155 main.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Help with Valve Adjustment PLEASE
Reply #1 - 03/14/09 at 18:48:48

Intake noise on compression stroke?
Are you turning it in the direction the wheels turn to go forward?

There are 2 TDC's per 4 strokes.  You want the one right after intake closes (compression stroke).

WWW   IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #2 - 03/14/09 at 19:01:00

It is a good Idea to take the feeler gauges that you know you will be using (.003-.006") and make two 90 degree bends about 1/4 inch from the tip making an L shape. This allows you to get better access to the valves.  A lot of times it can feel like you cant even get the gauge in there but actually the gauge is close but not dead on the gap. Can you feel any free play in the rocker arm or are they stiff?

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #3 - 03/14/09 at 19:08:16

First and foremost,  you have to find the marks on the inpsect port on the flywheel side cover.  

If you have the sparkplug out,  I found that putting your finger on the hole and then using a rachet & socket to rotate the engine (CCW) slowly, you can feel the pressure and if you don't push too hard the air coming out on the compression stroke.  As you feel the air, look at the marks and line them up.

The only stroke that will build up pressure is the compression stoke.   

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #4 - 03/14/09 at 19:21:04

Another tip I read here somewhere....

Spec calls for 0.003 to 0.005 inch,  

Well.... Loosen the lock nut on the valve adjuster and back the adjuster off.   Then using the 0.004 feeler,  stick the feeler gauge in there,  finger tight the adjuster down on it so that it just touches.  Then get the lock-nut just touching, which is basically finger tight but a loose finger tight..... .  Then holding the adjuster with a wrench, tighten down the lock nut.  

The tightening action will take it to between 003 & 004.......  

Works wonderfully......

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Mortation

Reply #5 - 03/14/09 at 19:28:58

verslagen1 wrote on 03/14/09 at 18:48:48:
Intake noise on compression stroke?
Are you turning it in the direction the wheels turn to go forward?

There are 2 TDC's per 4 strokes.  You want the one right after intake closes (compression stroke).

Yes, I am turning it counter clock wise.

1988 LS650 - Candy Apple Red w/ Ghost Flames, Harley muffler, S40 seat, white spacer Mod, #55 pilot, #155 main.
  IP Logged
Mortation

Reply #6 - 03/14/09 at 19:29:25

splash07 wrote on 03/14/09 at 19:01:00:
It is a good Idea to take the feeler gauges that you know you will be using (.003-.006") and make two 90 degree bends about 1/4 inch from the tip making an L shape. This allows you to get better access to the valves.  A lot of times it can feel like you cant even get the gauge in there but actually the gauge is close but not dead on the gap. Can you feel any free play in the rocker arm or are they stiff?

No free play in the rockers, no matter when I stop at TDC Sad

IP Logged
Mortation

Reply #7 - 03/14/09 at 19:30:23

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 03/14/09 at 19:08:16:
First and foremost,  you have to find the marks on the inpsect port on the flywheel side cover.  

If you have the sparkplug out,  I found that putting your finger on the hole and then using a rachet & socket to rotate the engine (CCW) slowly, you can feel the pressure and if you don't push too hard the air coming out on the compression stroke.  As you feel the air, look at the marks and line them up.

The only stroke that will build up pressure is the compression stoke.   

OK thats what I thought.  Then I have TDC on Compression but still no free play in the rockers.  I did line up the marks too.

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #8 - 03/14/09 at 19:34:33

On my bike, I have been unable to detect free play in the rockers on either of the two occasions I adjusted the valves.  Nontheless, I had the proper clearance when I was all done and the bike runs like a champ.  I can't remember now if I had free play on Kay's bike or not.  She did most of that adjustment, and I just supervised.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #9 - 03/14/09 at 19:50:23

If you have the inspection covers off you can also see the rocker arms move. The front one is the exhaust. You should see it move noticeably as you turn the engine. Then as it returns the intake - the one on the rear - will move. Then it will return as the piston starts up on compression. Then the next time the timing mark lines up you'll have the proper TDC. If you have the spark plug out you should be able to see into the plug hole and see the piston at it nears TDC, too.

This is my own opinion, not supported by any of the manuals. If the piston is anywhere near TDC, such as within probably ninety degrees either way of it, the cams will be clear of the rockers and you can set the valves. There is little point in worrying about its being exactly TDC. Other more expert mechanics than I can chime in here and correct me, if need be.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #10 - 03/14/09 at 20:55:14

I don't have any free play at all no matter were the piston is,bike runs great so I don't worry about.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
kennycreed
Alliance Member

Island Of Lewis SCOTLAND
Reply #11 - 03/15/09 at 02:40:59

The ajustment is that fine that sometimes you cant feel it with your fingers, If you grip the top of the ajuster (the bit with the slot in it) with a thin nose plier and pull it up and down you will feel? see? or hear a slight movment or noise

trying to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 03/15/09 at 11:19:24

Grab that thing & Lift it away from the valve tip, then press down, dont be shy. You really should be able to feel it "click" back down.
Finding the correct Top Dead Center.
As was mentioned, only one stroke creates pressure in the cylinder, & thats compression,once you feel the way the engine "does things" like suck & blow thru the plug hole, you can easily find the compression stroke.
Someone mentioned bending the feeler gauge. Mine are out of the holder, single strips of shiny steel,with a Ski Tip Lip bent into them& a 90* bend about 3/4" or so back & then another 90 about 1/2" from that, making a Z, so I can get it between valve tip & riocker.
I start by seeing if I can cram the Feeler I want in. If so, & it feels snug, I call it good. Otherwise I loosen it up to make it easy to get the feeler in, run the adjuster down finger tight, hold it with a screwdriver & snug the jam nut. Snugging the jam nut Lifts the adjuster into its threads & can change the adjustment a bit, so then I slip the feeler back & forth to see if I messed it up. I RAssled this Hard the first few times. I finally started using the thinnest feeler allowed & set it as close as I could & it stopped requiring such regular adjustment.

REcommend blowing the dirt out from the plug hole before removing the plug. I Didnt do that once & discovered a pile of crap around the hole. I spent a couple hours fishing sandy crap out of the cuylinder, with grease on a piece of weed eater line. The front tire does toss stuff that general direction.

I have a couple of offset screwdrivers that make getting onto the adjuster & holding it while setting the jamnut easy. Also,after I see I am close I can loosen the jam nut a hair & EEEk a tiny adjustment into it with that offset driver.
I Wish I had a 10 mm that drops off on the ends, BUT I dont,, daggummmittt..

Take yer time, have a flashlight & a magnet handy. Ive dropped the feeler before.

Ohh Yea, as someone pointed out.Watching the valves will allow you to confirm what the pressure on your finger tells you.
You can watch the exhaust valves pushed down, then close & the intakes open, then close. Then, when the marks line up on the L end of the crank, thats TDC.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Mortation

Reply #13 - 03/15/09 at 12:52:52

I got it all done.  A good nights sleep helps put things in perspective Smiley  Thanks for the help all.  Running pretty good!  Time to get some plates tomorrow!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 03/15/09 at 13:06:45

Good Going. It gets easier & easier. I dont know about you, but my guts were in a knot for quite a fdew miles after I did it. Even after Id done it a few times, I was still concerned I hadnt gotten it right or got the jam nuts tight enough to stay. Those things get some serious shakin & rattlin. Never had a problem but I am still very careful in there.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 20:23:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help with Valve Adjustment PLEASE

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.