Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Re: Dial a jet installed. VM carb vacuum line? (Read 456 times)
seviersavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Smoky Mountains Tennessee
Re: Dial a jet installed. VM carb vacuum line?
03/09/09 at 14:50:00

I think thats an overflow, when I had my float set too high thats the line that bled gas. If you still have the vacume petcock trade out for a raptor 660 petcock. Perfect fit and just on-off-and reserve.
Seviersavage

IP Logged
ebmiller2

Bel Air, MD
Reply #1 - 03/10/09 at 16:44:14

IS the year significant, or will any year Raptor 660 petcock work?  Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/10/09 at 18:03:00

Apparently any 660 will work. My new carb is in and the bike wont start. Does anyone if I have to plug the old vacuum hose connection on the petcock for it to start? Anyone know how to tune the carb??

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 03/10/09 at 18:37:49

odvelasc wrote on 03/10/09 at 18:03:00:
Apparently any 660 will work. My new carb is in and the bike wont start. Does anyone if I have to plug the old vacuum hose connection on the petcock for it to start? Anyone know how to tune the carb??

No you don't have to plug it to start, but unless you converted it to manual, you need to put it on prime.  only reason to plug it is in case it leaks later on.

WWW   IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/10/09 at 18:44:25

yeah I put it to prime and it still wont start. My understanding is that I am supposed to pull open the choke but not use throttle to start it, however that does not work.

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #5 - 03/11/09 at 03:22:11

odvelasc wrote on 03/10/09 at 18:44:25:
yeah I put it to prime and it still wont start. My understanding is that I am supposed to pull open the choke but not use throttle to start it, however that does not work.

If you are setting up a new carb that may not work.  Once it is tuned you shouldn't touch the throttle but it is possible your slide is fully down and that won't allow it to start.  You can either lift it slightly with the twist grip or adjust the idle screw so it lifts the slide a little.  You may end up with a high idle that needs to be dialed back but it should get you started.  Also, have you confirmed you do have gas in the float bowl.  And lastly, depending on the model of VM they either had a pull knob on the choke or a push lever.  Which model do you have?  If it is the knob you need to pull up if it is the lever it will be a push down.  If you have the lever watch the mechanism, the other end of the lever should be lifting the plunger that will reside on the opposite side of the carb from the end you are moving.

WWW   IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/11/09 at 06:39:05

smokin_blue wrote on 03/11/09 at 03:22:11:
odvelasc wrote on 03/10/09 at 18:44:25:

If you are setting up a new carb that may not work.  Once it is tuned you shouldn't touch the throttle but it is possible your slide is fully down and that won't allow it to start.  You can either lift it slightly with the twist grip or adjust the idle screw so it lifts the slide a little.  You may end up with a high idle that needs to be dialed back but it should get you started.  Also, have you confirmed you do have gas in the float bowl.  And lastly, depending on the model of VM they either had a pull knob on the choke or a push lever.  Which model do you have?  If it is the knob you need to pull up if it is the lever it will be a push down.  If you have the lever watch the mechanism, the other end of the lever should be lifting the plunger that will reside on the opposite side of the carb from the end you are moving.

I have the pull up knob and have pulled it up. By slide do you mean, that round tube that lifts up and down when twisting the throttle? Concerning the idle screw, I now have all the way in. How many turns is required? Just keep going until it starts? I should have gas in the float bowl. I see it coming through the fuel feed line to the dial a jet. Should I play with the air mixture screw as well? Perhaps play with the number of turns out as well?

IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #7 - 03/11/09 at 07:02:19

odvelasc wrote on 03/11/09 at 06:39:05:
Concerning the idle screw, I now have all the way in. How many turns is required? Just keep going until it starts?

Loosen the float bowl drain to be sure there's fuel. If you've turned idle screw all the way in, it won't start. Loosen it so the slide's off the stop by about 1 or 2 mm which should be reasonably close. If the choke works, idle jet size or air screw position shouldn't be that important for the initial cold start. If it gets gas and you've started it with choke on for awhile maybe the plug's fouled at the moment and there may be a smell of gas at the exhaust.

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/11/09 at 07:10:45

SV og LS wrote on 03/11/09 at 07:02:19:
odvelasc wrote on 03/11/09 at 06:39:05:
Concerning the idle screw, I now have all the way in. How many turns is required? Just keep going until it starts?

Loosen the float bowl drain to be sure there's fuel. If you've turned idle screw all the way in, it won't start. Loosen it so the slide's off the stop by about 1 or 2 mm which should be reasonably close. If the choke works, idle jet size or air screw position shouldn't be that important for the initial cold start. If it gets gas and you've started it with choke on for awhile maybe the plug's fouled at the moment and there may be a smell of gas at the exhaust.

If that dont work, then perhaps the choke does not work. I will give the 2mm screw out a try. thanks sv. I am very much so appreciating all this feedback from everyone.

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/11/09 at 10:46:10

Update on the bike. I got it to start. It popped and shut down immediately. I may be rich i was told. It started up twice, each time stumbled and  shut down with a stinky poof of air coming from around the air filter box (the seat is off).  Oh yeah, I lost the oil fill cap? I have it sealed with plastic wrap until the new one comes in. Maybe that is affecting it as well? I am going to check my spark plug tomorrow afternoon.

IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #10 - 03/11/09 at 12:32:23

Missing oil filler cap doesn't affect starting. Did you have choke fully or partially on when it catched and died?

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 03/11/09 at 16:57:48

SV og LS wrote on 03/11/09 at 12:32:23:
Missing oil filler cap doesn't affect starting. Did you have choke fully or partially on when it catched and died?

Yeah it was all the way up. I am thinking that it may be a little rich. Perhaps I may need a pilot jet lower than a 17.5. I had a similar problem when my BS mikuni would die soon after start up. Turned out the plug was fouled beacuse the fuel mixture was to rich. I am thinking the same thing right now. I am gonna try leaning out the fuel mixture bit by bit after I check my plug and replace it.

IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #12 - 03/12/09 at 04:12:43

odvelasc wrote on 03/11/09 at 16:57:48:

Yeah it was all the way up. I am thinking that it may be a little rich. Perhaps I may need a pilot jet lower than a 17.5. I had a similar problem when my BS mikuni would die soon after start up. Turned out the plug was fouled beacuse the fuel mixture was to rich. I am thinking the same thing right now. I am gonna try leaning out the fuel mixture bit by bit after I check my plug and replace it.

If the choke was fully on, try next time with half or 2/3 choke as the choke is the most important factor when starting. Jet sizes and air screw settings are less important. Also, you can clean fouled plugs by soaking it in kitchen vinegar for a few hours or overnight. Flush with warm water and let it dry before installing.

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 03/12/09 at 04:50:19

SV og LS wrote on 03/12/09 at 04:12:43:
odvelasc wrote on 03/11/09 at 16:57:48:

If the choke was fully on, try next time with half or 2/3 choke as the choke is the most important factor when starting. Jet sizes and air screw settings are less important. Also, you can clean fouled plugs by soaking it in kitchen vinegar for a few hours or overnight. Flush with warm water and let it dry before installing.

thanks SV will try3/4 choke first. I have a couple extra plugs lying around soo, if it is the plug than I will replace on saturday when I have time. Will update then.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #14 - 03/14/09 at 05:28:17

Almost sounds flooded.....   Can you smell gas in the exhaust pipe??

If flooded.....

Take plug out, spin the engine over a bit to dry out the cylinder.  Plug back in , then no choke and try to start it..

Other old, old school method is to open throttle all the way, no choke and hit the starter till it sputters to life.  That needs a good battery though.... it may have to spin a while to get air mix right.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 15:35:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Re: Dial a jet installed. VM carb vacuum line?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.