Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Re: Dial a jet installed. VM carb vacuum line? (Read 456 times)
odvelasc
Ex Member

Re: Dial a jet installed. VM carb vacuum line?
Reply #15 - 03/14/09 at 07:56:31

yeah I am was thinking flooded as well since I have to start on prime and now it wont stay on. When the weather gets to 0 celsius or close to it again I am gonna drain the bowl, change the plug and try again. I actually tried starting with the throttle open which is how I think I flooded it. I am gonna plug the battery in to charger today. It has gotten freezing again since I installed it last saturday.

IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #16 - 03/14/09 at 09:27:08

odvelasc wrote on 03/14/09 at 07:56:31:
I actually tried starting with the throttle open which is how I think I flooded it. I am gonna plug the battery in to charger today. It has gotten freezing again since I installed it last saturday.

Throttle open won't flood it but it won't start either. If it's flooded there should be a smell of gas at the exhaust at least.
Have you been starting it below freezing all the time? If you remove and/or replace the plug, heat it up somehow before installing. Warming up the crankcase would be nice, a tarp and small portable heater, even a 60 watt bulb near the oil drain for an hour or two would help.

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 03/14/09 at 09:56:53

SV og LS wrote on 03/14/09 at 09:27:08:
odvelasc wrote on 03/14/09 at 07:56:31:
I actually tried starting with the throttle open which is how I think I flooded it. I am gonna plug the battery in to charger today. It has gotten freezing again since I installed it last saturday.

Throttle open won't flood it but it won't start either. If it's flooded there should be a smell of gas at the exhaust at least.
Have you been starting it below freezing all the time? If you remove and/or replace the plug, heat it up somehow before installing. Warming up the crankcase would be nice, a tarp and small portable heater, even a 60 watt bulb near the oil drain for an hour or two would help.

I have not been trying to start it up below freezing. It has just gotten below freezing lately and this the garage is a cold.

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 03/14/09 at 13:47:40

update, the plug stunk of gas a bit, and was very sooty sooo changed it. The neutral light was dimming when trying to start and it kinda start and died right away. Sooo I pulled the battery and it is currently charging.

IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #19 - 03/14/09 at 13:57:33

Let it charge properly. Next time try it with just a bit of choke and start for a couple of seconds. Then just a bit more choke for next 3-4 second try. If it catches, give it just a bit of throttle, just a millimeter or so.

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 03/17/09 at 09:47:11

Alright, the battery just needed a good charge. The bike started up and will stay on if I give it throttle. However, it wont stay running without throttle. Smells a little rich. God danm its f'in loud. I forgot how loud the bike is.

IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #21 - 03/17/09 at 10:10:51

Good job. At least it runs now. You can raise the idle speed and lean off the idle circuit at least, perhaps lower the needle also so you get rid of the richness.

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 03/17/09 at 10:15:41

Which way is lean on the air mixture screw? clockwise or counterclockwise? The idle screw(one on the left) loosens up after 1.5 turns. TUrn this in or out?

IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #23 - 03/17/09 at 10:33:03

Last time I've fiddled with a Mikuni VM was about 25 years ago. Anyway, if the idle screw you mentioned raises the slide then turn it in a bit. About idle mixture screws (pilot screws, air screws) my rule of thumb is: If it's on engine side of idle jet, it's mixture screw and leans off when turned in. If on the intake side of idle jet, it's an air screw and leans off when turned out. There was a link to an old VM manual somewhere here which should tell you if it's an air or mixture screw.

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 03/17/09 at 12:18:38

yeah I put it up. But the way it works is that the air mix screw is on the right side when facing forward and idle on the left. I guess its the same concept as the BS carb. Lean is in, rich is out. I took it for its inaugural spring run and it is definitely running rich. As i am throttling the bike stutters quite a bit. I am off to work now, so the tank is coming off tomorrow and I guess I should adjust the needle to lean it out. Nothing I do with the air mixture seems to help with staying on, nor with the mixture screw.

IP Logged
seviersavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Smoky Mountains Tennessee
Reply #25 - 03/17/09 at 13:03:23

It's the opposite of your stock carb, in is rich   out is lean.
Seviersavage

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 03/19/09 at 14:28:40

Update on the darn thing. It still starts but it still wont stay idling. I set the needle to the highest position on the grooves meaning it is sitting into the carb more (thus more lean). I am getting black sooty smoke coming from the muffler and god dang it stinks. I went as far as 2 full turns out with the idle screw and the air mixture screw. Just to make sure I am doing the right thing, the air mixture screw requires a flat head screw driver, and is on the right? Anyways, I dont know what else to do now. Maybe I will change my oil as it is a little low and I did not leave the fill cap of for most of the winter (oops). I am about to lose it and just put the old carb back on.

IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #27 - 03/19/09 at 14:41:29

If it's an air screw you can open it another turn or even two to see if it gets any better.

IP Logged
seviersavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Smoky Mountains Tennessee
Reply #28 - 03/19/09 at 15:28:37

You got a used carb like me, take nothing for granted, check float level
could be too high. Maybe go down to a 15 pilot. And also read your ufo instructions, might need to drill that hole in the needle jet. I did.
Too rich, pull your air filter and see if that makes a diff, drop main jet maybe, it will have an affect.
Main thing is don't give up yet.
Seviersavage

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 03/19/09 at 15:53:44

seviersavage wrote on 03/19/09 at 15:28:37:
You got a used carb like me, take nothing for granted, check float level
could be too high. Maybe go down to a 15 pilot. And also read your ufo instructions, might need to drill that hole in the needle jet. I did.
Too rich, pull your air filter and see if that makes a diff, drop main jet maybe, it will have an affect.
Main thing is don't give up yet.
Seviersavage

yeah I was thinking a lower pilot jet for sure this time since my problem is staying idle. However the power cuts out when driving it so it is definitely rich. I will try a few lower main jets. $$$$$$$$$ Sad lol No dealership has these things in stock, so I am gonna have to wait another week booooooo! As for the UFO, My needle goes through no problem.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 15:24:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Re: Dial a jet installed. VM carb vacuum line?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.