Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
washers that came with Lancer's jetset? (Read 198 times)
matt_savage

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

washers that came with Lancer's jetset?
03/08/09 at 09:39:58

So I'm preparing to rejet my carb with Lancers jetset in the next week.  I noticed that the washers that came with the jetset to replace the needle spacer are metal whereas the spacer in the stock carb seems to be nylon?  Is it ok to use the metal washers or should I go and find nylon equivalents at Lowe's?  Thanks,

-matt

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: washers that came with Lancer's jetset?
Reply #1 - 03/08/09 at 10:08:12

Matt,

Lots of folks have steel washers in their carbs -- the washer spaces off a tiny spring tension so the washer being made of steel or nylon is pretty much unimportant.   The thickness of the stacked item is what counts.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #2 - 03/08/09 at 11:36:50

Matt, Lancer doesn't get it wrong.  Don't doubt the master.

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #3 - 03/08/09 at 11:42:43

I did not get a kit from Lancer, but he certainly seems to know what he is talking about.  I got metal washers from the hardware store and they would not fit. The ID was right, the OD was too big.  I ended up going back and getting nylon ones that would fit.  Someone then posted a comparison on the diamaters of washers and found quite a difference.  I suggest taking the spacer with you and making sure whatever you get is the same size.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #4 - 03/08/09 at 11:57:45

Matt, the most common setup I've see on here, especially with bikes that have a pod air filter or replacement K&N filter and a HD muffler is using 2 washers in place of the white spacer.  Personally, I use none.  No spacer at all of any kind.  But that is what works best for my air and exhaust pipe setup.

IP Logged
SavageGreaseMonkey13
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/08/09 at 15:43:39

the washers i got in his kit did not fit right. they were to big to go in the slide. when you get ready to install them make sure they fit in the slide hole where the needle goes and that they move freely.

IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #6 - 03/08/09 at 18:12:05

I bought Lancer's kit last year but he wasn't putting washers in them at the time. I bought four 3mm stainless steel washers at ACE hardware. I'm only using two for the time being. They fit with no problem.

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 03/09/09 at 03:58:46

oiramagev wrote on 03/08/09 at 15:43:39:
the washers i got in his kit did not fit right. they were to big to go in the slide. when you get ready to install them make sure they fit in the slide hole where the needle goes and that they move freely.

Did you let me know at the time you got the JETSET that I had sent the wrong washers ?  I do recall finding some in my washer bin that were larger than the correct ones and thought I had cleaned them out.  If you received some of the wrong size wahsers then there may have been others as well that I missed.  
Is there anyone else out there that received the wrong washers ?
I hate that I did not catch that.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 03/09/09 at 04:04:42

diamond jim wrote on 03/08/09 at 11:36:50:

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but errors are made even with the best of intentions.  The metal washers I get are a Mikuni item and they have several sizes available, and occasionally I get a batch that have some of the larger size mixed in with them so I have to go through and remove them and hopefully get them all.

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #9 - 03/09/09 at 05:39:19

LANCER wrote on 03/09/09 at 04:04:42:
diamond jim wrote on 03/08/09 at 11:36:50:

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but errors are made even with the best of intentions.  The metal washers I get are a Mikuni item and they have several sizes available, and occasionally I get a batch that have some of the larger size mixed in with them so I have to go through and remove them and hopefully get them all.  

Like I said, when I replaced my spacer with washers they would not fit either.  I think it is interesting that Lancer is getting washers that are made for our carbs, maybe not for that particular application, but for the carb itself that are different sizes.  That tells me alot about quality and pride in your job.  But I guess when you are simply watching things slide down a line, there is not much craftsmanship in that.

I guess I am a jack of all trades and master of none.  Growing up in the country you had to do things yourself or not get them done.  (I asked momma one time if we were poor, her response, "No, we just don't have any money.")  I learned to fix alot of things without the proper part, to make do as best I could. I am not crying about that, I am glad I was able to figure out as much as I did.  But when something is suppose to fit and it doesn't, that presents a whole new set of problems.  I really like going for a part for anything (car, truck, boat, sink or whatever) and they just look at you like you have lost your mind.

That could lead me to another rant about customer service, but not now.  Lancer, I am sure you do your best to get the wrong size washers out of the box, but there should not be any wrong ones in there to start with.  That problem starts higher up the chain and just gives you one more thing to do that you probably don't have time for.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
SavageGreaseMonkey13
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 03/09/09 at 15:38:53

LANCER wrote on 03/09/09 at 03:58:46:

Did you let me know at the time you got the JETSET that I had sent the wrong washers ?  I do recall finding some in my washer bin that were larger than the correct ones and thought I had cleaned them out.  If you received some of the wrong size wahsers then there may have been others as well that I missed.  

No i never said anything about it. The reason is that once in opened up the carb and found out that they didnt fit i noticed i had an adjustable needle already installed so i never put them back in. I didnt even think to say anything to you at the time.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
!
Reply #11 - 03/09/09 at 20:00:59

Wow, you actually have one of the rare needles with the 3 grooves !

oiramagev wrote on 03/09/09 at 15:38:53:
LANCER wrote on 03/09/09 at 03:58:46:

No i never said anything about it. The reason is that once in opened up the carb and found out that they didnt fit i noticed i had an adjustable needle already installed so i never put them back in. I didnt even think to say anything to you at the time.

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 03/10/09 at 02:22:31

So do I. I was quite surprised too.

BTW, the metal washers you sent me were just a micron too big OD wise. Not actually too big, but rough finished edges, so they would catch and stuck. And than I saw the little circlip and grooves Smiley

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #13 - 03/10/09 at 06:50:15

OK, there are more folks who have had difficulty with the washers.  I really need to check this more closely.

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #14 - 03/10/09 at 07:32:32

I ordered my kit back in October I think.  It came with 3 washers.  I changed out the jets but didn't use any of the washers.  I had removed the spacer all together.  Last week I pulled the washers out and tried 2 of them.  They fit.  I didn't like how it ran so I went back to no spacer.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 02:40:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › washers that came with Lancer's jetset?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.