Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Are there any pro's to riding w/out the muffler (Read 162 times)
Kirk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Atlanta, GA
Are there any pro's to riding w/out the muffler
03/04/09 at 19:26:04

Hey everyone looooooooong time since I been on here posting and seeking advice from this Godsend of a website. Here is my question I saw a clip on Youtube of a guy that removed his muffler on his S40 and it sounded soo wonderful it was deep and throaty and I really want to do this to my baby. I havent done any carb or air mods everything is stock except for the xtra speedo and seat lift. Anyone here ever tried riding without the muffler if so is there a difference in performance on the top end or low end? Im sure you cant have the best of both worlds so I want to weigh the pro's and con's before I do it. Thanks as always for the info you wonderful folks provide and keep riding safe.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: Are there any pro's to riding w/out the muffle
Reply #1 - 03/04/09 at 19:59:13

It may sound great on YouTube Kirk, but in reality you will find that it is way too loud. You will also have hell tuning it because there will be no proper back pressure. Basically, I wouldn't recommend it.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Kirk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Atlanta, GA
Reply #2 - 03/04/09 at 21:57:08

Ok thats all I needed to hear was an honest opinion from someone who has been riding and knows the in's and out's of our bikes. Thanks Yonuh Adisi

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #3 - 03/04/09 at 23:11:58

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 03/04/09 at 19:59:13:
It may sound great on YouTube Kirk, but in reality you will find that it is way too loud. You will also have hell tuning it because there will be no proper back pressure. Basically, I wouldn't recommend it.

+1

FYI- here's the video the squid and his angry sewing machine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4hOY6SAoRY

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 03/05/09 at 04:32:12

Kirk wrote on 03/04/09 at 19:26:04:
Hey everyone looooooooong time since I been on here posting and seeking advice from this Godsend of a website. Here is my question I saw a clip on Youtube of a guy that removed his muffler on his S40 and it sounded soo wonderful it was deep and throaty and I really want to do this to my baby. I havent done any carb or air mods everything is stock except for the xtra speedo and seat lift. Anyone here ever tried riding without the muffler if so is there a difference in performance on the top end or low end? Im sure you cant have the best of both worlds so I want to weigh the pro's and con's before I do it. Thanks as always for the info you wonderful folks provide and keep riding safe.

With a stock engine you definitely NEED a muffler.  Without one, you will loose all kinds of power thoughout the entire range and will never be able to tune the carb properly... not good for the engine.
Personally, with a stock engine I would use something with a fair amount of backpressure; the dyno/sporty mufflers are a good example.  They are cheap, work good and sound good.

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #5 - 03/05/09 at 04:55:46

Exactly what Lancer said.  He knows his stuff.

IP Logged
Mortation

Reply #6 - 03/05/09 at 06:10:58

diamond jim wrote on 03/04/09 at 23:11:58:
Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 03/04/09 at 19:59:13:

+1

FYI- here's the video the squid and his angry sewing machine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4hOY6SAoRY

darn that sounds nice!  I was thinking about ordering a strait drag pipe from Raask in Sweden:

Sivert quoted me $425 to my door.  Not tooo bad I guess.  I need a new header pipe anyway, about $200 and a new Jardine can will run another $200.

1988 LS650 - Candy Apple Red w/ Ghost Flames, Harley muffler, S40 seat, white spacer Mod, #55 pilot, #155 main.
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #7 - 03/06/09 at 13:04:45

In most states, Runnng without  a muff or at least a pipe is a great way to get a visit with the blue light special.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:26:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Are there any pro's to riding w/out the muffler

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.