Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
recommendation for new battery? (Read 96 times)
matt_savage

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

recommendation for new battery?
02/23/09 at 08:47:44

So I ended up removing my battery to take out the stock air box and install the new cone filter.  I'm gonna put everything back together and move the battery/battery box back a few inches, ala diamondjim.  I'm pretty sure I still have the original battery with the long clear drain tube so I'm gonna replace it with a dry cell one.  Any recommendations? I have an Optima Yellow Top in my Jeep and it's worked great for the last 3 years.  I'm looking for something that will last a while in the bike, thanks!

One other question not relating to the battery.  When I removed the air box there was about 1/4" of oil in the bottom of air box? There was a tube that entered the top of the air box and another that looked like it dumped under the bike next to the clear battery tube? Was this a breather tube for the engine that puked the oil in the air box?  Thanks for the help!

-matt

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: recommendation for new battery?
Reply #1 - 02/23/09 at 09:07:32

Big Crank

WWW   IP Logged
matt_savage

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 02/23/09 at 09:13:50

Thanks, just ordered!

But what about the oil in the bottom of the air box?  What should I do with the tube coming from the head and going into the non-existing air box?

IP Logged
Moofed
Alliance Member

...and the engine
just gleams...

Bloomington, Indiana
Reply #3 - 02/23/09 at 09:39:30

I think most people put a little breather filter over the end of it.  Like a mini cone filter.

WWW Moofed MoofedOne   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #4 - 02/23/09 at 09:43:34

on my 06 theres a plstic plug in the bottom of that tube,i drain it @ evry oil change..
crank case vent i think

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
matt_savage

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 02/23/09 at 09:51:19

ok, so i quickly figured it was a crankcase vent tube and why it dumps in the air box is kinda beyond me.  I didnt know the other tube under the bike was the drain tube for the air box!  So explain what a filter on the end of this tube is gonna do to the oil when it's puked up by the engine?  It's gonna spray out the end of the tube through the filter right?

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #6 - 02/23/09 at 10:00:08

matt_savage wrote on 02/23/09 at 09:51:19:
ok, so i quickly figured it was a crankcase vent tube and why it dumps in the air box is kinda beyond me.  I didnt know the other tube under the bike was the drain tube for the air box!  So explain what a filter on the end of this tube is gonna do to the oil when it's puked up by the engine?  It's gonna spray out the end of the tube through the filter right?

Oil vapor comes out of the engine.  It cools down and condensates in the air box.  Hose on the bottom needs to be either capped or filtered because it goes directly into the carb.  Capped is better because it's right down at road level,  all that dust!!!!!   If you haven't drained it in a while,  put a bowl unterneath.....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
matt_savage

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 02/23/09 at 10:07:48

ah, so it's oil vapor and not actual oil!  That would explain the filter on the end of the tube then.  I actually removed the air box and was just curious why there was a 1/4" of oil in the bottom of the box.  There was even a few small stains on the bottom of the filter element indicating oil had splashed up and contacted the filter.  I'm sure the tube running from the bottom of the air box down to road level hadn't been up-capped (allowing the oil to drain) in quite a while!  Thanks for the advice and I'll look for a small filter to put on the tube that used to go into the top of the air box.

-matt

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #8 - 02/23/09 at 10:55:33

The setup is the same on the bike as it is in my Festiva... Their is a case breather that runs back into the intake assembly.

I put a small breather on instead of recirculating it, works just the same.

I'm going through the same thing on my bike too. Removed the box and I'm trying to figure out how I want to run the battery box. For me, I used one of the website (suzukisavage.com) filters from the store and even with the battery box being moved back a bit, there's STILL not room to fit the filter.

I think I'm going to fabricate another box, or just some sort of brace to hold the battery in place isntead of the stock setup.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 00:27:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › recommendation for new battery?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.