Send Topic Print
handle bar conversion (Read 109 times)
Big Nix

Screw dieing of
natural causes.

Atlanta, GA
handle bar conversion
02/22/09 at 09:43:10

Well gotta say first I love this sight, been using it sinse I got my '04 savage about 6 months ago.  But just wanted to make sure I was correct on a few things before I went ahead with my next mod.  I am going to put straight drag bars on and was wondering
a)if someone could walk me through the steps of the swap
and
b)if I wanted to switch gribs do they need to be anything speacil or just as long as they're for 1" bars will I be fine
thanks to anybody who takes the time to respond
ride free or die

Courage is being scared, but still sadeling up and riding out.
Big Nix   IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: handle bar conversion
Reply #1 - 02/23/09 at 10:56:35

there is nothing overly special. You will know how to do it, hell, everything that is on the original handlebar has to move to the new one, piece by piece. Anyhow, secure bike first, and then:
a. Put a thick piece of cloth on the front of the gas tank
b. loosen everything on the old bar a bit, eases removal later. Once you do that, you will understand how everything moves and where goes what.
c. take riser caps off,
d. pick up and slide old bar with everything on it on the gas tank, secure it there somehow (tape, bungee??)
e. center new bar on risers, return and tighten riser caps. Measure and double check if all is OK and tight.
f. Start moving switches, levers, gas, brake, everything piece by piece.
g. Do not overtighten anything yet, you will play with angles of levers and switches after you sit on the bike and straighten it. Tighten all controls in place when you are happy with how it sits.

One consideration is length of the new bar. If your drag is absurdly long, cables may turn up too short. No luck tonight then. Second is Philips head screws on switches, tap them lightly before loosening, so you don't strip them. If you do - no biggy, replace with chromed allen heads Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 00:25:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › handle bar conversion

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.