Send Topic Print
OMG!!! I'm dying here. (Read 235 times)
DracSavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

OMG!!! I'm dying here.
02/18/09 at 22:32:04

I can't win! I got this bike from someone that started all sorts of stuff but didn't do a darn thing right. I've just about re-done everything that can be re-done... at least that is what I thought.

A lot of it was cosmetic so not too big a deal but now I've found some electrical problems.

I just figured out that the running taillight has not been working. I'm not sure if it has ever worked since I got it a few months ago. The brake light works and when I take power from the brake light line the dim taillight works with the brake on. Anyhow, they did some funky wiring things to this and I'm having a hell of a time getting this to work.

I'm trying to figure out a way to tap in to some power for the taillight because this will be my main mode of transportation which will include night driving.

I found a short in the (brown which they changed to red at this point) wire between the connector and the taillight but even when I bypass that the taillight won't come on when the key is turned. The high and low taillight will work when I connect it to the brake wire (white & black) and press the brake.

I'm good with home wiring but a little unsure about auto/moto wiring. Does anyone have some suggestions on what I should try?

« Last Edit: 02/19/09 at 07:36:16 by DracSavage »  
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: OMG!!! I'm dying here.
Reply #1 - 02/18/09 at 22:53:59

Got manual?

the wiring on this beaute was concocked by several angry engineers, none whom talked to each other.  Switches, lights and other hardware are barrowed from other bikes.  but did the guy running the harness match the color codes? L no, he wanted to get back to his garden.

be patient, follow the wiring diagrams.  Each component has separate ground wires that feed back into the harness.

WWW   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #2 - 02/19/09 at 07:01:44

does the tag lite work? same as tail light, should be brown which is same brown at the t.s. relay that comes from the ignition sw

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
DracSavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 02/19/09 at 07:33:31

TC: He removed the license light all together which I'll also have to remedy in the future I imagine if I get pulled over.

I tried to connect to the brown which is supposed to be for the taillight and the license light like you said but I got nothing.

I thought about connecting to the gray wire which is for the speedo light since it comes on when the bike is powered up. I just touched at the connector to the ignition switch so that was just a long shot. Maybe if I connect directly under the gas tank where the wire connects to the speedo?

Not sure if it has the same amount of power or not or if that will matter.

If there was a short from the brake light/taillight connector to the actual bulb on the brown taillight wire would that have shorted out the whole brown wire?

Verslagen: I have the manual: in PDF 86-04, if anyone needs it, and I've found the brown wire that connects to the ignition switch but won't seem to work. So if each component has a separate ground does that mean it is difficult to bypass something or to "tap" into power at a different spot?

Thanks again for the help.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 02/19/09 at 11:30:20

grounds are redundant, but necessary.

just be carefull of what you're tieing into.
don't mess with the safety's

WWW   IP Logged
PipJones

Fort Worth, Tx
Reply #5 - 02/20/09 at 04:54:00

Sounds like you need to start with some fresh wiring and  crate your own harness. Color code it to what the manual says. Thats what i'd do anyhow.

Have fun, and good luck!!!!!

Gargle, sputter, burp and die!!! The ways of my LS650!!!!!
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #6 - 02/20/09 at 05:53:32

I'll make a wild guess here. Check the ignition switch. The gray wire is powered when the bike turns on, and carries power back TO the ignition switch. The switch supplies the power to the brown wire for the tail light. In PARK the ignition switch supplies power to the brown tail light wire from the red wire. I am guessing that "short" you found in the brown wire may have damaged the contact in the ignition switch. If so, fix the short, and tie the brown wire for the tail light to the gray wire, and everything except the parking light should work. Note that I am just reading your post and looking at the book, and have not actually seen your bike, so it's a guess.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 10:35:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › OMG!!! I'm dying here.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.