Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Another Drinkin / Thinkin question...Rhino-lining (Read 146 times)
daweise1

Old school, new
school, I cheated in
both.....

Pataskala (Cols.) Ohio
Another Drinkin / Thinkin question...Rhino-lining
02/16/09 at 11:44:36

With all we do to protect and stiffen our bikes up (TKAT coming soon) has anyone thought of "Rhino-lining" under the fenders......

Thoughts are that I will be doing a very expensive paint to a pair of Oldy fenders and I would want to protect the fenders.... Thought of all those rocks hitting fiberglass, but then custom metal is never cheap either....

The plus I can think of would be the protection, a little added weight ( but that should be low centered and ok under the fenders) plus I would think it would allow alot less flex.....

Anyone do this already or have thoughts about negatives???????  Tongue

Dyna SE II Black muffler, HD Touring tank(6gals), Pingel petcock, HD Heel rest, Custom handlebars(Rock Chops), Adjure Flamed Headlight with spotlights, HD Flamed Signals, Oldys Gangster Fenders, Paint
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Another Drinkin / Thinkin question...Rhino-lin
Reply #1 - 02/16/09 at 12:16:11

sounds like a good idea but how thick does that rhino lining go on? I'd suggest fiberglass resin. You can get it at home depot. Mix a bit thinner than directed on the jug and apply it quickly. It starts hardening and turning gooey pretty quick. That'll add a little wee bit of weight and allow a thin layer of really tough protection. If the rhino lining is thin though id say go for which ever is cheaper.

IP Logged
88pagan

God is just an
imaginary friend for
adults..

Norco, California
Reply #2 - 02/16/09 at 12:23:11

I had a few parts on one of my dirtbikes covered with line-X..also several parts on a 4x suburban. Loved the look and results on both.

96 Bobber - Screamin Eagle, header wrap, K+N cone filter, jetted, straight bar w/1.5" risers, solo seat, Ed. L fwd ctrls, custom rear fender, TKat, Metallic charcoal and polished all over.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #3 - 02/16/09 at 13:25:12

I have the Rino-liner on the truck bed.  Tough stuff.  They would have to put it on.  

There is also a truck bed spray on liner you could buy.  A bit pricey for doing fenders.

I just use rubberized spray on undercoat.  Seems to work fine, and is only a couple of buck per can.  And, it will do several bikes.  As with any coating, perparation is everything....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 02/16/09 at 14:00:19

Aww yea, just a can of undercoating will go a long way. Remember there is overspray from every spraycan. A little wax or light oil on the painted parts & stuff you dont want tiny bits of undercoating on. Ive used these cans of spray on quite a few things & not had a problem, but wasnt close to edges, no wind, etc, etc,, Maybe you wouldnt have a problem, but that stuff is a real mess if its not where you want it.
As stated, preperation is key.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #5 - 02/16/09 at 14:56:36

The inner side of the front full fender on my bagger is coated with the stuff they put on the rocker panels of cars to keep the wide tires from chipping that paint.It is clear so the color shows through. Any of the bed liners would work well also and shouldn't cost much if you prep them and leave them until they are already shooting a rig. I've got a different style full front fender on the sidecar tug, fiberglass and almost matches the curve and style on the sidecar fender. Will be interesting to see how it holds up compared to the steel one. I do have a new steel one (see J&P cycles catalog) that I didn't use I'd sell for $50 + postage. Let me know quick as we are headed to AZ for the rest of the winter this weekend. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Chief Gunner

0 - 60 "When I
darn Well Feel Like
It"

Chesapeake, VA
Reply #6 - 02/16/09 at 15:04:52

You can pick up a can of roll-on/brush on bed liner at any auto parts store. It comes with everything you need to prep and apply. It's a little pricier than the spray can but a lot cleaner to apply and if you mess up you have a few minutes to wipe off areas that don't need it. I've had it in my truck bed for about 3 1/2 years now and no problems with peeling even where I busted through it by tossing an ax in the back. I haul stone, mulch, and lumber frequently and it holds up fine.

'87 Savage, Got more invested in beer and paint then I paid for the bike. Figure that surely makes it mine!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 02/16/09 at 15:37:28

You can buy the clear plastic that is put on fenders behind tires in rolls. I was looking at some online the other day.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
daweise1

Old school, new
school, I cheated in
both.....

Pataskala (Cols.) Ohio
Reply #8 - 02/16/09 at 19:50:21

The plan would be to prep the fenders covering the outsides to about 1/2" of the inner edge and have the fenders sprayed when they do a truck bed...... Then I peel back the paper, have them painted to the bed coating, clear coated, and then I will have that clear plastic applied......

Dyna SE II Black muffler, HD Touring tank(6gals), Pingel petcock, HD Heel rest, Custom handlebars(Rock Chops), Adjure Flamed Headlight with spotlights, HD Flamed Signals, Oldys Gangster Fenders, Paint
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 02/16/09 at 22:34:01

Sounds like a plan. Be sure to not put that clear plastic on too fresh a paint job. Gotta let the VOC's get out of it before it gets covered up.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 12:25:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Another Drinkin / Thinkin question...Rhino-lining

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.