Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Bobber/chopper seat on Savage? (Read 946 times)
Jonny_Chicago
Serious Thumper

Nazis, f**k off!

Chicago, IL
Bobber/chopper seat on Savage?
02/10/09 at 00:56:20

Just wondering if anyone has tried the below seats on the savage?  I think because of there curve they would conform nicely to the frame.

Any opinions?

Once again, any input is much appreciated!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SEAT-PAN-Bobber-Knucklehead-HEAVY-DUTY-Custom-...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHOPPER-BOBBER-SOLO-MOTORCYCLE-SEAT-FITS-HARLE...

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Re: Bobber/chopper seat on Savage?
Reply #1 - 02/10/09 at 05:04:45

I think both would work good.  I've got one similar to the first one you linked to that I decided not to use.  It's the Jesse James with hardware (taped to the top just like I received it) that I'll sell for $30 total (including shipping).  I modded the stock seat instead and liked the look of it so decided to keep that look.  
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Motorcycle-Parts-Accessories__Seat-pan-Jesse-...

« Last Edit: 02/10/09 at 07:12:48 by diamond jim »  
  IP Logged
BigSingle

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Pensacola Florida
Reply #2 - 02/10/09 at 06:53:48

HAHA thats funny my "Jesse James" seat is supposed to be in today  Cheesy will be putting on my hardtail'ed savage..Ill let you know what I think of it soon as I get it...

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #3 - 02/10/09 at 07:05:08

BigSingle wrote on 02/10/09 at 06:53:48:
HAHA thats funny my "Jesse James" seat is supposed to be in today  Cheesy will be putting on my hardtail'ed savage..Ill let you know what I think of it soon as I get it...

Now that's funny!  I decided to stay with this seat/saddlebag combo.  Otherwise I'd use it.  

IP Logged
Jonny_Chicago
Serious Thumper

Nazis, f**k off!

Chicago, IL
Reply #4 - 02/10/09 at 12:06:57

Big single, could you post some picts of that seat mounted.  Just so I get an idea?

Diamond Jim, your mod looks great!
Also, I am interested in that seat.  Does it look like that jesse james seat fits on the savage?  What gauge is that seats thickness, does it have a lift?  Could you send me some more pictures, perhaps side shots?  Does that $30 include shipping you said?  Let me know.

Thanks again!

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #5 - 02/10/09 at 12:16:59

Yep, includes shipping.  It is made from 10 gauge steel. Overall length is 13" from tip to back. It is 9" across. It has a sweeping 5" rise. Obviously you'd have to do a little modding to mount it.  

IP Logged
Jonny_Chicago
Serious Thumper

Nazis, f**k off!

Chicago, IL
Reply #6 - 02/10/09 at 12:21:33

Great,  I have no money right now (would buy it right now if I did), let me see if I can scrounge some up.  Could I let you know within the next few days?

Thanks again!

P.S. Do you know the length and width of the stock seat?  I would measure it myself, but my bike is in storage.

Also, would I have to do any welding or can this be done with basic tools?  Can you drill through that seat?  Just figuring out how I can mount it without welding it.

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #7 - 02/10/09 at 13:20:57

Don't know if this helps but when I laid in on my seat a while back it was about this size:

My modded seat is narrower than stock because I removed some of the plastic seat pan and cusion on the sides.  If you like the big grandpa harley seats, like the ones on some police cruisers, then this seat pan probably isn't for you.  If you're wanting a classis bobber seat than this is just right.  You could run it bare and paint it or add some foam which will make the seat a tad wider.  I was gonna take it to the local community college and have the upholstery class do it for less cost.  We do that with car dings (autobody class), things that break (welding class), etc.  The only catch is that it usually takes about twice as long than if you paid a private person or company to do it.  

I'd mount the solo seat so that the nose is about 1.5" to 2" further back than the nose of the stock seat. That would make it feel roomier.  I think it would work great because it follows the shape of the frame where it rises up for supporting the rear fender.  

IP Logged
Jonny_Chicago
Serious Thumper

Nazis, f**k off!

Chicago, IL
Reply #8 - 02/10/09 at 14:28:48

Wow, this is great.  Really appreciate the picture and info.  That does help alot.  Do you know if I can mount the seat without doing any welding?  Just want to bolt everything on.  Do you accept paypal?

I do like the classic bobber seats, I was thinking of adding some foam if it is to uncomfortable.  Good idea about bringing it to a college, never thought of that.  I was thinking about mounting it an inch or two back for space, just want to avoid doing any welding.

So it does follow the shape in the back where it rises up by the rear fender.  Thats good to know.  I know other bobber seats I have seen mounted just go straight across because the seat is flat.  That is what I was trying to avoid. I want it to conform to the frame.  Good info!

P.S. Would you be willing to trade a springer seat with the springs (about the size of the stock seat)?  If not, let me know.  I am still very interested!

IP Logged
Jonny_Chicago
Serious Thumper

Nazis, f**k off!

Chicago, IL
Reply #9 - 02/10/09 at 14:45:20

Just borrowed some money from the girlfriend.  If you do not want to trade, I will buy it.  Do you accept paypal?  Please PM for my address and other info.

IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #10 - 02/10/09 at 16:17:30

Jonny_Chicago wrote on 02/10/09 at 14:45:20:
Just borrowed some money from the girlfriend.

Stick a fork in him, he's done!  Cheesy

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #11 - 02/10/09 at 17:15:49

Ultima Saddle aka the "Paladin Seat"

my $ 0.02

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #12 - 02/10/09 at 17:59:42

IP Logged
Jonny_Chicago
Serious Thumper

Nazis, f**k off!

Chicago, IL
Reply #13 - 02/10/09 at 18:05:35

Oooh, that ones perrty....a little too much for me.  Really like it though.

IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #14 - 02/10/09 at 18:43:31

BigSingle wrote on 02/10/09 at 06:53:48:

When  you get to putting it on could you just sit it on the frame of the bike and take a photo of it for me so I can see how it matches the the way the curve of the frame? That would help me out a TON.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 20:22:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bobber/chopper seat on Savage?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.