Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Completed my first oil change.  New question (Read 193 times)
slowfaller

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Near Chicago, IL
Completed my first oil change.  New question
02/07/09 at 02:48:24

Yup, sure did and this site made it a snap.  Even got to ride her around for a bit since the weather was a balmy 37F.  Today it might reach 50F.  

I do have a question though.  Both of my rear blinkers are broken, right now the stems are wrapped in electrical tape and I've been using hand/arm signals while riding.  I want to replace them but the dealership wants $70 each!  Using the photos I'm about to post how do I remove the stems?  

Do I have to remove the rail? Get the wrench under the fender to do so?  Thanks in advance, I'm a complete noobie when it comes to this stuff.  Here are a couple of pics.

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Re: Completed my first oil change.  New question
Reply #1 - 02/07/09 at 07:44:09

Yup. Rails come off real easy. Just undo the bolts. The ones under the fender are a bit hard to get at, but not overly difficult.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 02/07/09 at 08:43:44

Take the seat off
jack the rear up till the weight is off the tire
remove shocks
lift higher for more access underneath the fender
when you take off the bolts the rail maybe loose will slip down due to gravity and scrape your fender.  Slip a piece of cardboard inbetween the rail and fender.  It will make it easy to pull off too.
wires are routed to the front of the rail and under the back of the frame to bullet connectors.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 02/07/09 at 10:24:28

My right rear signal is actually 4 or 5 pieces, but just walking by, you'd never know it. Epoxy,, gotta have epoxy & always pick up all the bits when something gets busted. With patience & determination a lot can be done to save $$$. But, IF your time is worth something, it may be a false economy. Since you have both busted & I bet the pieces arent all accounted for, then some aftermarket, better looking,signals ar probably in your future.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 02/07/09 at 11:28:30

In case you go looking for some custom lights, the rears are 2 wire, one of them is ground.  HD lights might only have 1 wire, ground is the other wire.

WWW   IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #5 - 02/07/09 at 11:52:35

There's no need to jack up the back, remove the springs, etc...

Get a 10 mm wrench that ratchets... The one in the back will be the hardest to get to, but you'll be able to reach up in there and get it.

I put a rag under my bars while I was installing and uninstalling them so I didn't scrape up the fender at all.

Doing it with the sissybar is the hardest part. Having someone there to help hold the back up while you remove the bolts might be a good idea.

As for the dealership... Don't get them from there... Check EBay. There are stores there that have actual Suzuki parts for under $25 for a set of 2.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
slowfaller

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Near Chicago, IL
Reply #6 - 02/07/09 at 22:39:25

Thanks for the replies, I figured you'd have to get under the fender at those bolts but it seems like it will be difficult.  Especially since every darn bolt is on so friggin' tight, I thought I broke my t-handle allen wrench trying to remove the oil filter cover.  I also never was able to remove the third allen bolt holding the seat on, right between the brake light and sissy bar.  I digress, rear turn signals will be my next endevour.  Thanks again Cool

Chris

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #7 - 02/08/09 at 03:37:19

A set of flush mtd directional for the rear would look really cool on the LS!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 02/08/09 at 10:14:54

Man, you gotta get that back seat bolt busted loose. Kroil is pretty good, but I dont know if any would get on the places that matter. Anti-sieze is just a part of the tool kit.
I was able to get the bolts out of the rail with only a regular 10 MM Craftsman wrench, with a Dunlop mounted & didnt jack it up.

With A deep socket on an extension for a cheater on an allen wrench you can get some torque on the bolt, then tapping on it quickly & sharply, slappin on the socket , makes for an Impact type of attempt to remove the bolt. Make sure the allen wrench stays in deeply & squarely. If necessary, shorten the allenwrench so the Twisting pressures dont lean it. Its no sin to mod a tool to get out of trouble.A new 4 mm allen is probably cheaper & easier to get than the bolt in question/

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SuedeGopher
YaBB Newbies

Thump

Gilbert, AZ
Reply #9 - 02/09/09 at 16:46:18

Looking for a link on oil changing tips for this bad boy - ready to do my first!  Thanks guys!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 02/09/09 at 16:55:05

If you dont want to handle a hot, oily plug, wrap a string ( like trot line) around it & spin it out, once you get it loose enough to turn freely.
Get the wrench on the plug, pointed to the front, bang down on it.While thats draining, get the filter cover off. Watch for the O-Ring in with the filter.The skinny little thing in the cover will last a long time, too, long as you dont PEENCH the fire out of it.The spring does not poke in the hole on the filter.Hole faces motor.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 12:17:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Completed my first oil change.  New question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.