SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Extra Lights
02/03/09 at 11:19:24

I've often wondered about the option of adding some extra driving lights to my S40...

I was searching EBay and found this:

Thoughts? Some bikes look really great with the extra lights added on... But seeing the Savage, I'm not so sure anymore.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Extra Lights
Reply #1 - 02/03/09 at 12:20:47

If you feel the need for more light to be safe at night, then to Heck with what the bike looks like, strap lights on & stay safe. I dont like the light we have but rarely ride at night & I can slow down for the corners. The light just doesnt even come close to being enough to get thru a corner well.Marginal in a straight line. So, my rare night rides are at a much lower speed/intensity.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/03/09 at 12:27:02

I think it looks good simon!

IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #3 - 02/03/09 at 12:46:51

Depends on what your after.  I think it looks good if your going for the "tour" look.  If you want a clean front but more lights, I would put the money a larger headlight and better bulb.

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
SuedeGopher
YaBB Newbies

Thump

Gilbert, AZ
Reply #4 - 02/03/09 at 15:09:37

I'm digging it - if you like it, go for it!

IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #5 - 02/03/09 at 15:59:33

Roncar has a ligh bar with 2 spots with visors for about 150.

Because I can!
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #6 - 02/03/09 at 16:27:28

I made this lightbar.  Lights were $12 each.  Metal for the bracket $5.  Misc supplies, bots, etc., $5.  

Each was as bright as the stock lightbulb.  After I put them on I stopped getting those "almost pulled out in front of me" moments.  They saw me well.

I had toyed with the ides of getting a used but good condition lightbar (bar only) off of ebay cheap for something like a vstar 650. Then I'd mod it to fit and add lights.  Just a thought if you want to keep $$$ down.

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #7 - 02/03/09 at 17:26:17

I really like that set posted above here. The black rings really set it off.

Maybe I'll have to play with the idea. Anyone know if it'll be too much draw for the Savage's poor electrical system?

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #8 - 02/03/09 at 21:20:33

The past discussions have set the extra light wattage to 35w each (70w total).  If you don't go over that you should be ok.

I bought these "off road" lights from Harbor Freight.  They are 55W bulbs, but you can swap them out for 35w.  I haven't installed them because I don't have a mount yet for them.  I was going to use a flat piece of stock mounted into the existing light holes and mount the headlight and extra lights on it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=47394

WWW   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #9 - 02/04/09 at 02:11:54

Gary On A Savage wrote on 02/03/09 at 21:20:33:
The past discussions have set the extra light wattage to 35w each (70w total).  If you don't go over that you should be ok.

I bought these "off road" lights from Harbor Freight.  They are 55W bulbs, but you can swap them out for 35w.  I haven't installed them because I don't have a mount yet for them.  I was going to use a flat piece of stock mounted into the existing light holes and mount the headlight and extra lights on it.

I'd think twice before quoting "35+35 = 70"

35 + 35 = 70 is most certainly correct only if we look at power consumption.

However, if we look at " illumination " then I'm afraid it's a totally different business.

I'd consider using square root of two, or even sq.rt. three, to calculate illumination at increasing distances.

35+35 => 50ish, or even 45ish as distance increases...

So, my suggestion would be to use two 50-55W lamps, and possibly alternate the center headlight with the two extra ones, by using a "commuting relay" switch, i.e. a relay that switches between two loads, rather than switching the load on/off.

HTH

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #10 - 02/04/09 at 11:13:24

mpescatori,

The question was the max wattage on the lights.  I think it has been established as a max of 70w (or 2 35w extra lights).  I agree that the illumination of 2 35w lights is not as great as 1 70w light, but it does have the added advantage of more square inch of surface light when looking at the front of the bike.  That is to say, I would think having 3 lights (albeit 2 dimmer) would make you more visible to oncoming traffic than only 1 bright light or 2 regular lights.  I think that what you are looking for is a personal choice for your riding needs and bike style, with many different options out there.

WWW   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #11 - 02/04/09 at 14:14:53

have used a pair of 20w halogen mr 11 driving lights with no adverse elect. issues(i have a volt meter tyed on the same switch as the lights and a relay that turns themm off when i go to high beam..
have since changed to leds that fit the mr 11 housings..more of a blue spectrum..so at low beam i have 5 lights on front counting oem front turn signals/running lights..
changed the oem H4 bulb to o higher kelvin rated bulb,same wattage as stock but a brighter whiter light(higher kelvin closer to full spectrun,ie. sunlight)..the dreaded cager turning left in front of me has yet to happen...
if i wanted to do more night riding in the canyons etc. id mount a pair of 55w H 3 lights down low on the forks or the engine guard...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:27:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Extra Lights

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.