Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DIAL a JET   from Thunder Products   review (Read 199 times)
seviersavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Smoky Mountains Tennessee
DIAL a JET   from Thunder Products   review
02/02/09 at 16:02:10

Thunder products makes the UFO that Lancer installs on his VM carbs.
They also make the dial a jet and carry some other performance upgrades.
I was reading with a lot of interest about the ufo's as Lancer started a thread detailing installation and corresponding performance benefits.
Also read with some interest about their dial a jet fuel induction system.
Works on any carb, and is said to improve throttle response horsepower and gas mileage!

Well I found a used VM carb on e-bay a couple months ago and got it on this past weekend. Without boring everyone with the trials of jetting a new carb application with no experience I'll say that after two days I'm running strong and what I feel is 90 to 95 percent of carbs potential. But the dial a jet uses small hoses to feed a mixing chamber directly into the carbs throat and you can see the fuel in the line so you know it's working. Problem was I couldn't tell the fuel was getting to the carb through the dial a jet.

So this morning I decide to experiment with the jetting yet again.
The dial a jet is an add only device that works only if there is a lean situatuion for it to be needed. I wasn't sure if I was lean on my main jet but it's so easy to change I thought I'll just see. Dropped from a 190 to a 180, took a test ride and yeah felt a little stronger. Stopped to check the little line running up to the carb and there is some fuel but not yet to the top. O.K. dropped down to a 170, went for a short test ride and all I can say is Holy Moly!!!  This thing works!

The bike pulls like a frieght train all the way thru to full throttle.
Throttle reponse off the start is almost violent (thats the UFO) and It feels like it could definately run out from under you If you weren't careful.
DANG!
It's about 75 dollars but would work on a stock carb as well as any other. I really recommend this dial a jet to any one who has thought about it. Lonn at thunder products is great to answer any questions and is super knowledgeable about his product. Check out the website and read through the reviews and the tech articles.

Seviersavage

« Last Edit: 02/03/09 at 05:54:06 by seviersavage »  
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: DIAL a JET   from Thunder Products   review
Reply #1 - 02/02/09 at 19:23:44

Lonn is a great guy and makes some good stuff.

What pilot jet and size hole on the needle jet did you end up with ?

IP Logged
seviersavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 02/03/09 at 05:52:26

I ended up with a 17.5 pilot and the smallest .052 hole

The needle all the way to the richest position  and a 170 main

I'll read the plug after a while and am looking forward to checking mileage, If I can stay off of the throttle a little Roll Eyes

THANKS for your help Lancer, now all I  need is your cam  Wink

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #3 - 02/03/09 at 05:59:58

Will the UFO work on the stock carb?

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/03/09 at 08:23:39

so chain drive and these mods, or just these mods would be best??

I am looking for a vm carb.Tons around as there are so many snowmobiles around here. Help!!!! lol. I was just on the phone with Lonn, great guy.

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/03/09 at 08:24:07

hey, the UFO does not work on the stock carb

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/03/09 at 08:53:54

seviersavage wrote on 02/02/09 at 16:02:10:
Thunder products makes the UFO that Lancer installs on his VM carbs.
They also make the dial a jet and carry some other performance upgrades.
I was reading with a lot of interest about the ufo's as Lancer started a thread detailing installation and corresponding performance benefits.
Also read with some interest about their dial a jet fuel induction system.
Works on any carb, and is said to improve throttle response horsepower and gas mileage!

Well I found a used VM carb on e-bay a couple months ago and got it on this past weekend. Without boring everyone with the trials of jetting a new carb application with no experience I'll say that after two days I'm running strong and what I feel is 90 to 95 percent of carbs potential. But the dial a jet uses small hoses to feed a mixing chamber directly into the carbs throat and you can see the fuel in the line so you know it's working. Problem was I couldn't tell the fuel was getting to the carb through the dial a jet.

So this morning I decide to experiment with the jetting yet again.
The dial a jet is an add only device that works only if there is a lean situatuion for it to be needed. I wasn't sure if I was lean on my main jet but it's so easy to change I thought I'll just see. Dropped from a 190 to a 180, took a test ride and yeah felt a little stronger. Stopped to check the little line running up to the carb and there is some fuel but not yet to the top. O.K. dropped down to a 170, went for a short test ride and all I can say is Holy Moly!!!  This thing works!

The bike pulls like a frieght train all the way thru to full throttle.
Throttle reponse off the start is almost violent (thats the UFO) and It feels like it could definately run out from under you If you weren't careful.
DANG!
It's about 75 dollars but would work on a stock carb as well as any other. I really recommend this dial a jet to any one who has thought about it. Lonn at thunder products is great to answer any questions and is super knowledgeable about his product. Check out the website and read through the reviews and the tech articles.

Seviersavage

Was it a 38 or  36mm carb? what are the specs on the main jet and needle? I have the ufo and dial a jet on hold as I am waiting to here back about some carbs in my area, and the mods they may have. should the carb stay stock???????

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 02/03/09 at 09:06:13

oh and what boots did you use???

IP Logged
seviersavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 02/03/09 at 16:00:44

Bill67,

The UFO is specifically for the round slide carb, But the dial a jet will work on our stock carbs. The UFO works well with the Dial a jet but if a VM carb is out of the question the Dial a jet will really improve just the stock setup.

Odvelasc,

I ride mostly under 70 so I haven't done a chain conversion just the new carb. If your always on the freeway I'd do the chain too.
I got a mounting flange with mine and It happened to fit the savages bolt hole pattern. I also was able to stretch the stock air feed tube around the larger carb, I got a 38mm carb. I didn't change the needle jet but had to adjust my needle position all the way up which is rich.
Lancer sells the new throttle cable that you will need.
Lancer also advised me It would be best to have a free flowing exhaust to really take advantage of the VM's potential.

I think the carb I got had a 340 main and a 55 pilot? I just halved the pilot that should have been 35  which put me at 17.5 and went with a 190 main at first as that is what Lancer puts in if I'm not mistaken. It was guess work on my part. To make the Dial a jet work though I had to drop to a 170 main.
Seviersavage

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 02/03/09 at 19:51:27

seviersavage wrote on 02/03/09 at 16:00:44:
Bill67,

The UFO is specifically for the round slide carb, But the dial a jet will work on our stock carbs. The UFO works well with the Dial a jet but if a VM carb is out of the question the Dial a jet will really improve just the stock setup.

Odvelasc,

I ride mostly under 70 so I haven't done a chain conversion just the new carb. If your always on the freeway I'd do the chain too.
I got a mounting flange with mine and It happened to fit the savages bolt hole pattern. I also was able to stretch the stock air feed tube around the larger carb, I got a 38mm carb. I didn't change the needle jet but had to adjust my needle position all the way up which is rich.
Lancer sells the new throttle cable that you will need.
Lancer also advised me It would be best to have a free flowing exhaust to really take advantage of the VM's potential.

I think the carb I got had a 340 main and a 55 pilot? I just halved the pilot that should have been 35  which put me at 17.5 and went with a 190 main at first as that is what Lancer puts in if I'm not mistaken. It was guess work on my part. To make the Dial a jet work though I had to drop to a 170 main.
Seviersavage

Mounting flange for what???

IP Logged
seviersavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 02/03/09 at 20:09:47

It's the part that mounts the carburator to the cylinder.
Seviersavage

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 02/04/09 at 06:28:01

Oh man, its not held up in my the boots???

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 02/04/09 at 06:34:07

hey SS, what is your altitude above sea level? That may give me an idea of main jet to use as well. My UFO and DAJ are coming with a 17.5 pilot, and I am ordering my main jet from my local Polaris/Victory dealer.

IP Logged
seviersavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 02/04/09 at 07:02:17

I'm in the smokey mountains of Tn so my elevation is 2500 ft above sea level, no higher than 3,000.
The VM carb cylinder side was slightly smaller than stock and airbox side slightly larger. I bought about 4 mains from 190 thru 150
ended up 170, I'm thinking 17.5 on the pilot will be good.
Seviersavage

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 08:33:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › DIAL a JET   from Thunder Products   review

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.