Send Topic Print
Removing front pulley (Read 120 times)
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Removing front pulley
02/03/09 at 01:57:39

Okay...so i assumed I couldn't get the front pulley off since the engine was out of the frame and i just hadn't followed directions. Well the engine's back in the frame the belt is hooked back up with the rear pulley and even with the rear break holding the belt i cannot for the my life get the front pulley to loosen. Any suggestions? Sorry if this makes little sense. Its 5am and I've been up all night.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Removing front pulley
Reply #1 - 02/03/09 at 03:17:57

Which way is it threaded?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #2 - 02/03/09 at 05:58:53

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 02/03/09 at 03:17:57:
Which way is it threaded?

RH Tread!

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 02/03/09 at 06:17:42

thought it was reverse threaded until i looked at it. Doesn't seem that way. In any case I tried tightening it just a bit too to maybe loosen the threads a bit but no luck. Its stuck solid.

IP Logged
Chief Gunner

0 - 60 "When I
darn Well Feel Like
It"

Chesapeake, VA
Reply #4 - 02/03/09 at 06:38:48

Made the same mistake myself. Have the engine out and needed to take the bolt off. Just put my least favorite socket wrench over it and struck the handle with a hammer a few times and it broke loose. You will need to have everything installed to tighten it back down. It worked the same as an impact wrench would without spinning the entire engine too much. Didn't even need to hold the pully.

Good Luck.

'87 Savage, Got more invested in beer and paint then I paid for the bike. Figure that surely makes it mine!
  IP Logged
matt_savage

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 02/03/09 at 06:38:57

Get the longest pipe you can find and slip that over the wrench for a breaker bar.  The longer the pipe the better since you can put more force to it.  I sometimes use the handle for a hi-lift jack as a breaker bar and it's yet to fail me.  Although I have twisted the head off a bolt a time or two with it.  HTH

matt

IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #6 - 02/03/09 at 06:59:37

i had the same problem. i started with a hammer handle sild thru the spokes, and a large cheater pipe on the ratchet. i broke the hammer handle pretty easily. i then used a large open end wrench thru the spokes, it ended up with a nice bend in it, and i also bent a spoke pretty good. be careful.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 02/03/09 at 07:19:42

Put the front wheel against a post, 1st gear, and something in spokes optional as keep it in mind that you may snap a spoke.

Did you remember to flatten out the washer?

The next thing I was going to try was a tie down strap hooked on the frame and wrapped around the rear wheel.

Rotate the wrench the same way the wheel rolls forward.

WWW   IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 02/03/09 at 14:28:59

tried an impact driver and 4 foot breaker bar. No joke. 4 feet. Didn't even budge. The lock washer has been flattened. im relectant to put anything in the spokes although it seems im running out of options. After I get the bloody thing off im going with chain drive and cast wheels anyway but i was hoping to be able to sell the wheel/pelley/etc after the switch.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 02/03/09 at 14:59:20

Have a fat friend sit on it and hold the brake.
You send me a ticket I'll be right over.   Grin

If it's fighting you that bad, don't put any thing in the spokes, you'll lose them.

Try a tie down strap hooked on the frame near the front foot peg and lay the strap under the rear wheel, wrap it over the top of the wheel back around and under it again.  If you got a fire hose, that might work too.

Dollars to donuts, that'll work.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 02/03/09 at 15:35:51

finally got it with the help of an acetylene torch and again with the impact driver. Belt's no good now except for use as well...i may just use it as a belt.

IP Logged
marine5317
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lecanto,FL
Reply #11 - 02/03/09 at 19:22:13

The next time you get a frozen nut like this get a helper to put some serious pressure on your cheater bar and take a good size hammer and give the socket a sharp rap with the pressure applied on the cheater bar. I've seen this trick work many time on lug nuts on 18 wheelers when you don't have an impact wrench.  It's a poor mans impact wrench but it take 2 people to operate it.
                                                                         Ride Safe

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 04:31:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Removing front pulley

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.