Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Low $$$ great sound exhaust (Read 922 times)
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Re: Low $$$ great sound exhaust
Reply #15 - 02/06/09 at 08:54:52

I have a Dyna takeoff muffler that I was going to mount on my bike... But after seeing you post this info, I may just go this route instead. I liked the looks of the Raask pipe, but can't justify the $600 pricetag.

I'll have to check with the local muffler shop guy. He does inspections on my vehicles, so I'm sure he could cut me a good deal on stuff too. Smiley

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #16 - 02/06/09 at 10:41:44

Simon, take your bike to him along with a few wrenches.  It only takes about about 2 minutes to remove the muffler.  Then he can bend and fit the new pipe just right.  

I suggest that you loosen the clamps and bolts holding the muffler on while at home and snug them up again before you go to the muffler shop. That way you'll already have all the wrenches you need and if any of the bolts are a pain it's better to deal with it at home than at the muffler shop.  

Also, you might want to get a baffle first so you can take it with you. If any fine tuning of the baffle is needed, such as the flange being a little too small or a little too large, the muffler guy will have the tools to make the minor adjustments for a good fit during the same visit that you have the exhaust pipe made.    

I went back to my muffler guy to make some changes to the baffles. But that's also because I modded the baffle a little and needed his help.  Putting in a baffle for a 1 3/4" pipe would work just fine but like everything else, I have to find some way to mod or improve it.  I wanted the baffle tabs that are pressed inward into the pipe to break up the sound but I didn't want the narrower body that comes with a 1 3/4" baffle. So I instead bought baffles for 2" pipes which have a larger diameter body and modded the flange to fit.  In the pic below you can see a rough comparison of the baffle diameters for one that will fit a 1 3'/4 pipe and one that will fit a 2" pipe.  I also made drawings of what I did (or rather had the muffler guy do) to mod the baffle. He cut off the flange, cut a short piece of exhaust pipe and welded the new flange to the baffle body.    

The new flanges are slightly thicker steel compared to the flanges that came with the baffles.  The thicker steel allowed me to drill and tap a quality hole in the flange for the baffle retaining screw.  

With this baffle mod there is less narrowing along the exhaust pathway than had I gone with 1 3/4" baffles.  Again, 1 3/4" baffles would work fine but I just wanted to do this extra step to mine.

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #17 - 02/09/09 at 11:35:10

I went with this 10" heat shield.

BTW, don't know if you noticed or not but I raised the headlight a little and slid the front turns up the forks a couple of inches.  It seems to make the front forks look a little longer.  

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #18 - 02/09/09 at 11:36:51

That looks really good!

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #19 - 02/09/09 at 13:00:23

Turning out great man!

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #20 - 02/09/09 at 13:43:57

The sound is killer.  I love it.  I need to find a way to record it while riding.    

IP Logged
Rustbucket

Reply #21 - 02/10/09 at 09:57:26

Nice post and thats a good looking bike you got there!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/10/24 at 14:25:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Low $$$ great sound exhaust

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.