Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Chrome Painting (Read 146 times)
flcruzr
Ex Member

Chrome Painting
01/29/09 at 21:25:42

Does anyone know if chrome can be painted with spray paint for example to get the shiny colored look?  I have heard about powder coating but not sure if applying any paint over chrome will give the same effect???

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Chrome Painting
Reply #1 - 01/29/09 at 23:43:48

clean it and steel wool it, and paint will stick,.... but it will scuff easily...
sand it some, then steel wool it smooth, and it will be a bit tougher...but you can never go back...
try the first way, first, and see how you like it....it'll hold up, as long as you don't scrub your boots on it....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #2 - 01/30/09 at 02:52:33

I personally wouldn't paint chrome if you want it to stick unless you blast it with abrasive blast.  Are you looking for a silver under candy look or are you trying to cover chrome?  Powder coating has many cool colors and effects and is tough as nails but again you have to rough the chrome enough for it to stick well.

WWW   IP Logged
flcruzr
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/30/09 at 22:24:54

smokin_blue wrote on 01/30/09 at 02:52:33:
I personally wouldn't paint chrome if you want it to stick unless you blast it with abrasive blast.  Are you looking for a silver under candy look or are you trying to cover chrome?  Powder coating has many cool colors and effects and is tough as nails but again you have to rough the chrome enough for it to stick well.

Thanks, I believe the latter is what I was searching for.  I guess I will have to seek a professional for this project.  Thanks!

IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #4 - 01/31/09 at 07:06:50

Powder coating isn't that expensive, I have done several parts of my bike with it. It looks great and holds up awesome! I'm going to do the crank case covers here shortly. Pic sucks I know my phone was set to the wrong mode when I took it.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
flcruzr
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 01/31/09 at 09:44:07

[quote author=0C203D212A3D3C3B203D2A7C7F7F7F4F0 link=1233293142/0#4 date=1233414410]Powder coating isn't that expensive, I have done several parts of my bike with it. It looks great and holds up awesome! I'm going to do the crank case covers here shortly. Pic sucks I know my phone was set to the wrong mode when I took it.

Could you share on how to go about powder coating?  What supplies do we need to accomplish this?  Thanks!

IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #6 - 01/31/09 at 10:27:50

I had a pro do it. Much easier and they even media blast the chrome so it will get a really good adhesion. It is not that hard to do yourself but a lot of equipment and space is needed to do it. I had them do my license plate mount, tail light, side cover, tool cover and both engine covers for around 45 bucks. They were multi-coated. Almost any type of metal can be powder coated. Chrome, aluminum and such.  It will take anywhere between a week to two weeks at least in my area especially when it is winter time, that's when everyone is getting their stuff done.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #7 - 01/31/09 at 11:51:15

I agree have a pro do it as it is relatively cheap.  If you find the need to get into it your self  here is a very good supply house with full kits and info..

http://www.eastwoodco.com/

WWW   IP Logged
flcruzr
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 01/31/09 at 20:46:37

Thanks guys!
I will start looking around my local auto paint shops for some quotes.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 15:30:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Chrome Painting

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.