Send Topic Print
Backfiring? (Read 168 times)
slicknick
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Backfiring?
01/26/09 at 13:37:41

Decided to take the bike out for a ride today and noticed that when I was in 3rd/4th gear and down-throttled without using the clutch, the minor growls from the exhaust would sometimes let off a much bigger backfire. I mean, its loud enough to turn heads.

I was just wondering if anybody else had this problem and how did you fix it? Perhaps the choke needs to be adjusted?

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: Backfiring?
Reply #1 - 01/26/09 at 13:42:08

Cool weather the bike runs leaner.  

Can you tweak the low speed mixture?  Did you do the mod to remove the brass plug?

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 01/26/09 at 13:43:31

Why would you want to tune that out?  jk   Grin

Air leaks are more prone to cause decel kerpows, check for loose header bolts or muf clamp.

richen the pilot jet a little.

choke should be adjusted in.

WWW   IP Logged
slicknick
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 01/26/09 at 13:47:55

I really have no idea what you guys are talking about as far as low speed mixtures, decal kerpows lol, loose header bolts or muf clamps.

Not a mechanic, go figure.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 01/26/09 at 15:21:11

Hey slick, you should learn the basics just so when you take it to a mechanic you can tell if he's fixing the thingamabob or the dohicky.  Just a consequence of life that some will try to cheat ya and some don't know what the hell they are doing.

One guy here took his bike in for a new tire (or something like that)  In trying to remove the front wheel, bubba decide the axle was stuck.  Went and got himself a BIG hammer and started wailing on it.  The thunderour clamour sent the owner into convoltions.  As he staggered over to where bubba was working on his bike, he shouts WTF are you doing?  duh axle stuck, getting loose wit hammer.  Did you loosen the pinch bolt?  duh whats that?

You probably don't know either, but you should learn.  You should pour over the owners manual, and glance over Clymers.  Try and figure out what every thing is.  Don't be entirely afraid to ask questions, figure on getting a few thumps and rashes from a few trick answers like 'did you change the air in your tires?'  They are meant to make you think while getting a chuckle.  If you think about it, you can catch me and have a laugh yourself.

So the answer to your question is in Clymers, there's a copy in the tech section.  Seek and ye shall find.

WWW   IP Logged
Prophet_10

TANSTAAFL

Dekalb, IL
Reply #5 - 01/28/09 at 08:47:12

just change the turn signal fluid

WWW   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #6 - 01/28/09 at 08:53:12

Mine started the little backfiring on decel a few weeks ago.  Mine is a combo of cool weather and the small exhaust leak where the sportster muffler mounts to the header.

IP Logged
slicknick
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 01/28/09 at 09:19:42

Prophet_10 wrote on 01/28/09 at 08:47:12:
just change the turn signal fluid

oh crap! i better get to the auto parts store and get somemore blinker fluid. your a hero!

IP Logged
Gamma742
YaBB Newbies

2003 Suzuki Savage
LS650

San Diego, CA
Reply #8 - 01/28/09 at 09:32:45

Do like me.. I didn't post here until I read through all the technical section. now I done all the stuff except the cone air cleaner mod. I'll do that next On second thought.. I think I'll do Old Feller's budget air filter instead.

Was supposed to be for the wife, but was it???
  IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #9 - 01/30/09 at 15:28:19

slicknick wrote on 01/26/09 at 13:47:55:
I really have no idea what you guys are talking about as far as low speed mixtures, decal kerpows lol, loose header bolts or muf clamps.

Not a mechanic, go figure.

The idle mix screw is an easy mod and can make a big difference. It is documented here in the tech section.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1221818822

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 07:21:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Backfiring?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.