Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Is she that cold natured? (Read 304 times)
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Is she that cold natured?
01/15/09 at 16:25:36

I started to post this earilier, but wanted to try one more thing.  I have an 87, stock except for the raptor petcock.

I have gotten the hang of starting her in cold weather and she idles good.  But when I get up to speed in 3rd and 4th, she starts to buck and sputter, like she is running out of gas.  If I open the throttle, she picks up and thumps right along, but cruising along she acts unhappy.

I tried leaving the choke out a little longer this morning and that helped some.  I had to ride 6-8 miles before things started getting good and then it still took a few more miles for things to really straighten out.

My question a are:  Is that normal?  How long does it take to get warmed up?  Is there an adjustment I should make, maybe to the carb?  I saw a thread about idleing in cold weather, that is not my problem, it is crusing speed.

Thanks
Mike

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
SavageGreaseMonkey13
Ex Member

Re: Is she that cold natured?
Reply #1 - 01/15/09 at 17:09:39

hey mike i have the same problem. it takes mine about 10-15 minutes to warm up enough not to do that. you are close to me so i know the weather is the same for us and it was cold this morning. just let it warm up more before you leave. that seems to help me anyway. maybe we should get together a go for a ride someday?

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #2 - 01/15/09 at 17:16:57

Thanks for the reply.  After today I was pretty sure it was just cold, but I did not know if there might some adjustment.  I usually let it idle while I am putting on my helmet and gloves, not too long, but I am usually in a hurry.  I only live about eight miles from Washington so by the time the bike gets warm, I am about where I am going.  Yeah, a ride together would good sometime.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
SavageGreaseMonkey13
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/15/09 at 17:40:10

im usually in the same situation. running late and in a hurry. i only have to go 5 miles and my bike just does get hot about a mile from work or home.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #4 - 01/15/09 at 21:48:23

Precher,

FWIW, I ride mine in cold weather all the time (I live in Colorado Springs and do not own a cage).  My bike (see signature) has stock carb settings, except that I've richened up the pilot screw a bit.  The intake and exhaust are otherwise stock.  There are no engine mods.

After I start mine, I can take it off choke about a minute after it starts.  After another 3-4 minutes of idling, I take off.  After about a mile of easy city riding, it is good to go.

It sounds to me as if yours is running a bit lean.  I don't have that problem, since I live at 6500' of altitude.

IHTH!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 01/15/09 at 23:25:10

Whats the hurry? If it asks for a bit of choke, give it. I run mine a coule miles before I push it in.Ususlly, just the 1/2 way click is all it needs, but it runs better if I leave it out for about 5 minutes. I start it & let it run long enough to establish oil flow, then drop in gear & ride away.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #6 - 01/16/09 at 02:16:31

The hurry is life!  I am trying to slow down, but everyone keeps pushing me forward.  

OK, to richen it up, I have to remove the brass plug on the carb and turn the screw 1/2 turn counterclockwise.  Is that right?

Again, life is getting in my way and I will probably not get to do this or ride until the first of next week, but I want to be sure I am doing right.

Thanks
Mike

prechermike   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 01/16/09 at 03:36:06

Have you done the white spacer in the carb slide yet?    That and drilling out the brass plug were all I had to do to get a good running Savage.

I personally would stop there and consider carefully before jumping into the noisy muffler thing -- it really doesn't increase performance all that much to offset living with all the loud whapping and the blapping noise ....

Plus it requires rejetting, which although I own a set of jets and a shorty Harley muffler I may never put either into place since on our mountain trips I keep up with the whapping blapping crew just fine.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #8 - 01/16/09 at 03:46:04

Nothing that I now of has been done to the bike.  I did put on a raptor petcock.  I checked and the brass plug is still intact, so I know that has not been messed with.

I have read about the white spacer, but an unsure of what that is, I kow it is in the carb somewhere.

I am really not interested in the whapping and blapping either, I guess I am too old for that.

So what is involved with the white spacer thing?

Mike

prechermike   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 01/16/09 at 07:32:33

Yes, I'd reccommend the white spacer mod.  What it does is richen up that portion of the throttle response.  And if idle is ok and the top end is ok, then time to tackle the middle.

search the tech section.

simply put, you take the top of the carb off, pull out the slide, remove to tiny, very tight screws and pull out the needle.  take the white spacer and thin it alittle or replace with a number of #4 washers.  Then put it all back together.

WWW   IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #10 - 01/16/09 at 08:06:56

Thanks

It will be next week most likely before I get around to it.  I searched and many seemed to have a bad time with the screws:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1104205157/15

Is there a recent trick that someoen can suggest to me? Otherwise I will simply tear into it (very carefully) next week.

Thanks
Mike

prechermike   IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #11 - 01/16/09 at 08:18:33

OH, a couple more questions, since I am so good at that.

What kind of #4 washers do you use, metal (I think the post I listed said they did not work) or plastic (what about gas eating them up) or what.

When I do this do I still need to remove the brass plug and adjust that?

Thanks again
Mike

prechermike   IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #12 - 01/16/09 at 09:53:58

I agree the current #4 washers don't seem to fit. ID is OK, OD will not fit in the hole in the slide. I've sourced hem from 3 stores, but they may be the same manufacturer/wholesaler as they are in those plastic boxes. They say they OD is supposed to be 0.250" which will work but they turn out to be about 0.280". The plastic/nylon ones are OK OD and ID but and one would probably work OK. 2 are thicker than stock by a tad or two. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #13 - 01/17/09 at 01:14:11

I found number three washers at the Ace hardware here in Fort Worth. Another source for that size is hobby shops that cater to RC aiplanes, helicopters, etc. The #3 seems to fit fine. Takes about three of them. I did the white spacer mod back after break in; but returned it to stock after a few hundred miles. It didn't really help performance wise, and my mpg was suffering. Not much, but that, coupled with the lack of improvement in performance, was enough to convince me to return it to stock. A couple of thousand miles later, and the problems sorted themselves. It was fresh otta the crate when I got it. I did do the brass plug thing though. Did wonders for the backfiring.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Gamma742
YaBB Newbies

2003 Suzuki Savage
LS650

San Diego, CA
Reply #14 - 01/17/09 at 07:35:49

Good luck getting those 4 screws off the top of the carb.. I ended up buying a impact driver to get them loose.

I went for the washer mod (2) of them did the trick. Use the nylon ones..

Replaced the 4 screws with allen heads Wink

Was supposed to be for the wife, but was it???
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 02:26:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Is she that cold natured?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.