Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rear Tire Removal (Read 180 times)
PipJones

Fort Worth, Tx
Rear Tire Removal
01/19/09 at 13:39:07

Is there a topic in the technical data forum that pertains to removing and installing the rear tire??? I couldn't find one.

If anyone knows how, i'd like to be informed on, with belt tension specs, so on and so forth.....

thanks

Pip Jones

Gargle, sputter, burp and die!!! The ways of my LS650!!!!!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Rear Tire Removal
Reply #1 - 01/19/09 at 13:55:18

It's so fastening to do I don't think I've ever remembered to stop and take a picture.
1) put bike on lift and remove left shock
2) remove pulley cover and top belt cover
3) remove axle
4) disconnect brake cable
5) push wheel forward and remove belt from rear pulley
6) remove wheel

to check belt tension:
Grab the belt at the bottom, mid way between pulley's, and twist it.  If you can twist it 90°, it is the correct tension.

spec's?  That's what clymer's for.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 01/19/09 at 14:26:57

Naaah, no shock needs removed. I didnt pull the belt cover, either.
Get the rear end up, pull the brake cable loose, get the axle out, keep the adjusters straight, if ya get them upside down there wont be any marks to look at. It takes about 3 hands to get the brake plate lined up, landing the tab on it in the slot on the swingarm, but you can do it, just gotta hold your mouth right. OHH yea, those spacers, keep them right too, I think one is longer than the other. Be nice to the axle seal on the belt pulley.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 01/19/09 at 15:33:13

Yep that's the way I used to do it,
but fought the belt cover tryin' to get it off.
So I gave up, started doin' it this way.

WWW   IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 01/19/09 at 19:13:50

I have never removed the back tire, but it seems as though I may be due for a  new tire this summer or fall. The manual says to put some wood blocks under the bike and lean it onto the kickstand. Someone posted the clymer manual in the technical documents section. I have them manual and it is great. I like to study the pertaining section for about a week before I do some work. Look up "Clymer Manuel" in techincal documents, it should be on the first page. It is in pdf format I believe.

IP Logged
Educatedredneck
Alliance Member

Sometimes it's
better to be lucky
than good.

Hampstead, Maryland
Reply #5 - 01/19/09 at 22:54:18

I agree with Verslagen 1 after doing the head plug fix and replacing both the front and rear tires, it would be easier to remove the belt guard.  The below photos show how I secured my Savage while I did the work.  

This photo shows how I attached the come-a-long straps to the front fork.

This is a back view of my Savage in my garden shed while I worked on her.  I have the Savage resting on two 4x4 blocks that I could move front to rear in order to get each end off the ground.  I used the trailer wheel chock to further steady the bike, and used it on the front tire when I replaced the rear.  The cost of my materials was FREE - cause I already had them.  

Yes, it is a little crowded in there.   Cheesy

1997 Savage - Hard Chrome Drag Pipe, Seat Mod, 152.5 main, 1 - #4 washer, Di Hard Battery, T-Kat, 1" Drag Bar
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 02:29:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear Tire Removal

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.