Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Is she that cold natured? (Read 304 times)
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Re: Is she that cold natured?
Reply #15 - 01/18/09 at 19:08:19

Wasn't it Murphy that said, "If anything can go wring it will?"

I tried to drill out the brass plug for access to the idle mixture screw.  I was extremely careful not to drill to deep or too fast, and I was doing a pretty good job at that.  OK, so I have a nice hole there to put in a wood screw and pull the plug out, so far, so good.  Well, as I pulled on the screw, the point broke off inside the plug!  The screw was much harder than the brass and would not drill too well.

After a couple of tries at drilling into the side, at an angle or whatever, I got a very small punch and knocked the tip in, I should have thought of that first.  Carefull drilled some more, to get the screw started back in and pulled the plug out.  Yeah!

I turned the screw 1/2 turn counterclockwise and did not see any change in the motor.  Now things were still cold and I did not have time this afternoon to let her warm up, much less ride (It was raining as well).  Tomorrow, I hope to get this taken care of.

Is there a magic setting, number of turns whatever to start with?  I expect it is really a matter of tuning, a little here and a little there to get it right.

Thanks
Mike

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #16 - 01/19/09 at 10:24:37

Turn it out to about two turns and see what it does then. There should be an improvement. You might have to adjust the idle too, using the knurled thumb screw on the other side ov the carb. Mine runs best at about 2 1/4 turns out, but it varies from bike to bike. I also run a 2/3 white spacer at the same time, and no bogging anymore, no matter how cold it is.

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #17 - 01/19/09 at 13:31:11

OK.  After a couple of rides, I think I have the problem fixed.  I turned the screw 1/2 turn counterclockwise.  the first ride I let her warm completely up, in fact I got sidetracked when I went to get my coat.  Next I let her cool completely off, cranked her, put on my helmet and took off as usual.  No more bucking or snorting.

I did not mess with the spacer, I was going to take the old one to town to get a replacement, but at this point I do not think I am going to bother with it.

Thanks for all the advice.  I will holler if I need more help.

Thanks again
Mike

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #18 - 01/19/09 at 19:56:15

I've not tried this, but some say that you should turn your idle speed way down before messing with the pilot screw.

With the idle really low, it is supposed to be easier to hear the difference when you turn the pilot screw.

Of course, you'd want to increase the idle speed back to normal once you determine the best position of the pilot screw.

Thoughts?

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 01/19/09 at 23:18:05

i 2nd diggers comment. I spent 20 minutes a day for the first 2 weeks I had the thing trying to tune the carb and couldnt hear a lick of difference no matter what until I turned down the idle speed. Once I did that it took about 3 minutes. Back fire on shutdown is now a "pfoot" kind of sound rather than a shotgun.

'95, 15+k mi (9k when I got it)

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 04:27:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Is she that cold natured?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.