Send Topic Print
Dyna Exhaust (Read 363 times)
djo723
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Dyna Exhaust
01/13/09 at 20:56:52

I know this topic has been beat to death but I am interested in making my (mainly stock) 2001 Savage a little louder and from what I have read on here, it seems that the Dyna muffler (#64941-07 with no crossover) is a decent choice. This was somewhat talked about in the "Louder Please" thread but my main question is if I put this Dyna muffler on, will i have to adjust any thing else (carb/idle)? Is it a pretty straightforward process and will I need any additional parts? And if I were to get the Dyna muffler, do I just go into a HD shop and ask for that part number? It seems from other posts that it will only be about 25 dollars.
Thanks for the help

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Dyna Exhaust
Reply #1 - 01/13/09 at 21:15:45

You might need an adapter.  I just got one but haven't tried to install it yet.  They have said to have a muffler shop make a short piece with a 7° bend in it.  Depending on which one it is, you may need to rejet and then you might not.  I'd get a set of jets from lancer anyway, at least you'll be prepared.

WWW   IP Logged
saluteTOme

Newark, DE
Reply #2 - 01/13/09 at 21:23:36

The only thing I needed was a different exhaust clip. I forget how big it was...maybe 1 3/4"? and mine is on nice and snug. If I can even get it started this winter and not dislocated my other shoulder, I will be able to tell if there is a leak or not  Grin

But if there is a leak, I have a sealer to solve that problem so I am not too worried if it is leaking a little bit.

I did ride with it when i 1st put it on and I didn't notice it. Next time it;s running, I plan on putting my ear down there. You might also need a bolt to support the muffler itself. I'll see what I am talking about when you put it on. But I dont have one yet and it seems like it wont be moving anywhere, but I still want to get it cause who knows how much weight is on the exhaust clamp at the block. I do VERY much enjoy the sound of it.

I put in the lancer rejetting kit so I am unable to help on if you need them or not.

btw, I got my clamp at pepboys. it's a car exhaust clamp. Some people said they have problems getting it on with their heat shield but I had zero problems so I dunno. But being I have my heat shield on, I dont have to worry about it looking tacky. Other wise, with no heat shield, I can see it looking a little cheesy. And to make it look nice, you'll need a HD clamp.

Hope this helps.

IP Logged
saluteTOme

Newark, DE
Reply #3 - 01/13/09 at 21:25:17

oh and I have an 03, so I dunno if there is any problems with angles with an 01

IP Logged
daweise1

Old school, new
school, I cheated in
both.....

Pataskala (Cols.) Ohio
Reply #4 - 01/14/09 at 08:21:02

I have a 04 running a factory powdercoated black Dyna Screamin Eagle exhaust and I mounted mine right up.... I did spent $10 on the HD clamp to make sure it was tight and I have no leaks and I run no adapter. Took me all of 10 miinutes.... I have the re-jeting parts, but ran it 2-3 times without doing it and had no problems..... Of course I have the header going into JetHot for coating in a couple weeks so I cared less about "blueing"....

My $.02

P.S. I love the sound so much on mine that only death will remove it

Dyna SE II Black muffler, HD Touring tank(6gals), Pingel petcock, HD Heel rest, Custom handlebars(Rock Chops), Adjure Flamed Headlight with spotlights, HD Flamed Signals, Oldys Gangster Fenders, Paint
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #5 - 01/14/09 at 09:38:04

You have the HD part number, that should be enough for the dealer.  If thay ask why, just make a sad look, shake you head, and say "you don't want to know, it's a long story".   That usually makes them laugh and not ask any more.

I believe the adapter verslagen1 is describing is used so that the brake arm doesn't get dirty and soothed up.   The Dyna OEM take-off will fit without it, but if you want the bike to look pretty, you will need to wipe off the arm every once an a while.  

A stock Dyna "take-off" could get by on the stock jets but you would do the bike good to go to a 150, do the pilot/low speed mixture, and the White spacer mod.  

I have a "spare" Dyna take off that I used for a while.  It was louder than stock but not that much louder.  So........  Uni-bit drill bit on an extension to put a hole in the center plug, and several tries until I got it to where it was noticably louder but not where you would get tickets riding by a Hospital.    For those that don't know what a uni-bit is, it's a fat drill bit that is stepped starting small and getting bigger as it goes. It allows you to carry one drill bit and be able to drill several size holes, but they are not cheap.  I drilled the smallest size hole first, then tested the noise level.  Then drilled it to the next size and tested, etc etc..... The hole is around 3/8".

T Mack

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
seviersavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Smoky Mountains Tennessee
Reply #6 - 01/15/09 at 12:51:54

I've got a dyna with no crossover that I'll be taking off next week. If you want it pm me.
Seviersavage

I ran mine without a rejet for a while, no harm but a rejet really makes it growl.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #7 - 01/15/09 at 15:13:13

the adaptor helps point the exhaust gases off you rear brake cable and lever..if your muff shop is really helpfull they can matcth the header pipe (1.65"??)to the muff 1.75",otherwise bit of high temp silicone and the best clamps to sinch it all up..you dont need to drill your muff support arm..bend up a piece of flat stock to line up with
the oem holes..our tru value hardware store had chrome even!!
to get the best peformance youll want to rejet.and read lancers carb tuning post in the tech section..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 01/15/09 at 21:37:26

I installed mine without alterations, but I needed a Harley pipe clamp.  I made it louder by using a very long 1/4" drill bit and slipping it inside the outlet at the rear of the muffler, and drilling a hole in the baffle.  If thats not loud enough, drill another.  I drilled 3 holes, at the 12 o'clock, 4 o'clock and 7 o'clock positions.  After riding for awhile, I decided on 1 hole, so I threaded two lag bolts into two of the holes and it all worked fine, and you can't see the bolts. I also re-jetted and installed a cone filter.  I wasn't worried about more performance nor the inferior filtration,  I just wanted to stop the backfiring and I like to hear the intake sucking along with louder exhaust notes.

IP Logged
TheCaliKid
YaBB Newbies

Hollywood, CA
Reply #9 - 01/16/09 at 10:26:33

I just did this mod on my stock 07 (used Dyna take-off).
The Dyna with the rail mount goes on easy with a couple of carriage bolts/nuts/lock washers. Have a new manifold gasket ($4@Dealer) on hand if you remove the pipe. I had a muffler shop make an adapter (no bend) & bought 2 HD clamps @ Harley dealer ($8 a piece) and it works fine (ordered a 7" heat shield to cover).
Dyna sounds louder & deeper. Performance wise, I don't get any backfire on decel. any more, but when upshifting there is some light backfire. I am pretty sure it's related to the Lean issue, because when the choke is out when first starting out in the morning, it doesn't happen.
I will Richen it up and rejet, as well as the white spacer mod.

IP Logged
djo723
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 01/19/09 at 17:25:39

Thanks for all the replies everyone...Ive been keeping my eye out on ebay and i came across http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzuki-s40-ls650-Savage-Muffler_W0QQcmdZViewIt... this and I was wondering if it would be sufficient and if I would need any additional parts. Thanks again

IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #11 - 01/19/09 at 18:22:45

I am no expert but I would let that one go. If the thing has been altered you do not know what you are truly getting.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
J-Snap
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Toronto, Ontario
Reply #12 - 01/29/09 at 08:30:57

Well, I'm sold. I'm going for a dyna #64941-07 this spring (garage too cold in the winter  Cheesy ).

Now I just have to convince my wife to do it. Does anyone have pics of a savage with the take-off dyna pipe?

Much appreciated!

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 01/29/09 at 20:45:31

Hey J, Here is a pic of my exhaust but it is tappered. I have a slight discoloration due a small leak I did not notice the first few km's.

I used to have the tapered screaming eagle, but this knock off universal has a deeper sound. This kewl guy who was shopping at the custom shop same day as I told me you can use a long flat head and kinda open up the muffler from the end for a louder sound. Mine is loud enough.

http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp194/odvelasc/beech052.jpg

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 03:31:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dyna Exhaust

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.