Send Topic Print
flasher (Read 329 times)
desantam
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

flasher
01/05/09 at 11:07:22

where is the flasher located at on a 86 savage? i cant get the turn signals to work, i need to replace this so they can work. i have replaced the turn signal relayand that didnt help.

thanks guys

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: flasher
Reply #1 - 01/05/09 at 11:23:11

Look under the tank, right next to a big round solenoid.

WWW   IP Logged
desantam
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 01/05/09 at 11:40:43

ok cool thanks

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #3 - 01/05/09 at 11:59:30

Hmmmm.... I isn't the turn siganl relay the flasher......  

like the starter relay is basically  "sort of" a starter solenoid......

Huh  Huh

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
desantam
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 01/05/09 at 14:56:41

i dont really know, thats why im asking. any help that could be given would be great.

IP Logged
AzDon
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 01/05/09 at 19:04:29

What they call a turn signal relay is just basically a turn signal flasher with a square plastic housing that has a mounting clip on the side.....
My local Suzuki dealer offerred to order it for me at $42......
A regular automotive two-prong flasher  has the same pin arrangement and plugs right in and works awesome for less than ten bucks. The plastic cover of the original can be splitand ziptied over the new, round auto flasher so the original mounting clip can be utilized.
It is found on the right side of the frame, just inside (under) the front of the tank.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #6 - 01/05/09 at 21:12:57

I'm confused a bit also - as t-mack was saying there is only one part (the location given above) - and the button on the grip

so if you already replaced the relay where was it located?

IP Logged
desantam
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 01/06/09 at 04:46:58

under the tank, near the front of the tank, on the right side. so i guess i replaced the flasher already, but i was hopping that there was another one on the bike that i didnt know about. when i replaced this all thatr happened was now my blinkers  turn on but they stay on, they wont blink. any ideas why they do this?

michael

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #8 - 01/06/09 at 08:05:36

desantam wrote on 01/06/09 at 04:46:58:
under the tank, near the front of the tank, on the right side. so i guess i replaced the flasher already, but i was hopping that there was another one on the bike that i didnt know about. when i replaced this all thatr happened was now my blinkers  turn on but they stay on, they wont blink. any ideas why they do this?

michael

First,  I take it you can see the front light get brighter when you turn the swithch to that side.  YES??   The front has running lights and back not.  Also does the speedo indicator comes on?

Next, I've seen this before.....   but..... can you see me scratching my head trying to rememebr where & when.   Huh

Check for the following:
1) Make sure both front & back lights come on.   If not , you might not be drawing enough current to have the flasher heat up and trigger.

2) Check the battery (nice soild 12 - 13V with bike off , 13 to 15V with bike running)
2) Good ground at the light socket.  You will need an ohm meter to check this.  
3) Good switch operation ( my thought here is a possible dirty switch contact).  

T Mack

---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
desantam
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 01/06/09 at 13:24:43

yes the lights are on up front not in back. the lights do brighten when clicked for that side, and the speedo indicator comes on. bothe the front and back come on when switched, and the ground is good. that was the second thing that i checked.
ill check and see if my battery needs to be charged. and ill pull the switch apart and clean it and see if that helps. i think the next step would be to buy a new switch and install it.

michael

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #10 - 01/06/09 at 19:49:47

desantam wrote on 01/06/09 at 13:24:43:
yes the lights are on up front not in back. the lights do brighten when clicked for that side, and the speedo indicator comes on. bothe the front and back come on when switched, and the ground is good. that was the second thing that i checked.
ill check and see if my battery needs to be charged. and ill pull the switch apart and clean it and see if that helps. i think the next step would be to buy a new switch and install it.

michael

Be careful when you pull the switch apart......there be springs in there.....

Before buying new switch, test the circuit by bypassing the handle bar switch.  Would require getting a wiring diagram and using a wire ..... but you need to know what connectors to go across.... so find a wiring diagram, otherwise you may short the power to ground and blow a fuse.

(71 MB's download click here.... )

---
  IP Logged
sakara
2005 No Login

Thumpalicious

Lockport, NY
Reply #11 - 01/09/09 at 08:10:54

I've had the same issue on a couple of bikes (hit the signal, they come on but don't flash). Every time it's been a ground issue. Try to check the connections at each end, and verify that the socket itself is grounding well. I did this by using a little alligator clip wire from the chassis up to the socket the bulb plugs in to force it to ground. A decent amount of the lithium grease on the bulbs worked for me once as well, as the ground wasn't too stable.

Alliance Member

'86 Thumper bobber rat project.
sakara   IP Logged
desantam
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 01/09/09 at 22:26:02

i checked for a ground, that was the second thing i did after replacing the flasher.
i fully charged the battery and that didnt help any.
could not having the right bulbs, be an issue?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #13 - 01/09/09 at 22:31:04

could if the bulbs you have do not make enough load - what kind are they?

IP Logged
desantam
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 01/10/09 at 09:55:16

im not sure, but one of the ones up front is twice the size as the rest.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 12:49:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › flasher

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.