Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Using different year engine (Read 153 times)
dieseldoll
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Using different year engine
01/04/09 at 05:53:02

I have a 1987 Savage. The engine went bad, so I purchased an engine from a 1996 Savage. I know the trans is now 5 speed instead of 4 speed. Everything fit where it was suppose to. We had the engine on in a couple of hours. The bike does run, but when you go to shift the bike pops and backfires pretty bad. I bought the engine based on people telling me it would work. I have had the bike looked at twice, and I am being told they can not fix it. I put on the carburator from the newer engine also. I really like this bike, and I just know someone has run it this before.

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Re: Using different year engine
Reply #1 - 01/04/09 at 06:24:12

Did you put the electrics from the newer engine on with it?There is a difference.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
dieseldoll
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 01/04/09 at 06:31:08

I bought the wiring harness off of the 1996, and I was told the wiring was different and could not be used. I am thinking of doing it myself. I am pretty sure I will have to splice in some of the wires, but I am willing to try it.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 01/04/09 at 07:22:09

There's a difference in the CDI box, you'll want to use one from the same range of years.

WWW   IP Logged
dieseldoll
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 01/04/09 at 07:51:39

I have the CDI box from the 1996. Will I have to splice the wires in to make it work?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 01/04/09 at 07:55:16

Is it a different connector?

WWW   IP Logged
dieseldoll
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 01/04/09 at 08:44:31

Yes, the connector is different. Some of the connectors in the harness are the same, and some are not the same.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 01/04/09 at 10:42:49

Typing back & forth is too slow & tedious. Sometimes, just making a 10 minute phone call solves the whole hassle. IF I knew how to help Id call ya, maybe someone else will.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #8 - 01/04/09 at 11:24:19

dieseldoll wrote on 01/04/09 at 05:53:02:
I have a 1987 Savage. The engine went bad, so I purchased an engine from a 1996 Savage.  . . . when you go to shift the bike pops and backfires pretty bad. ....

From what I've read about the bikes, the newer engine was set up a LOT leaner than your old '87, which is the casue of the infamous Savage pops and backfires.  IOW, sounds normal to me.

WWW   IP Logged
dieseldoll
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 01/04/09 at 11:28:24

Thank you for all the help so far. I think I am going to take the chance and work in the newer wire harness. At this point I don't have much to lose now.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #10 - 01/04/09 at 19:55:12

Diesel Doll,
  Get your self a manual.  Either a clymer or a factory one.  They both have wiring diagrams which will help a bunch.  It will help you with some of the real minor differences.  Yes, the differences are minor so it can be done.

For the wiring diagrams, I like the factory one better.   FYI, my training is as a electronics tech.  

T Mack

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #11 - 01/04/09 at 21:47:25

You've gotten some good advice so far...

And IMO, you are thinking right in trying to work the new harness and CDI unit into the bike now. Of course you'll have to do some work-around to get all the old stuff to work from the new harness; but it should be a lot less trouble than trying to patch the new CDI unit into the old harness. Or at least that's the way I'd approach it in hopes it was the shortest and easiest way of going at it. Hope it all works out and you don't need any of the later model charging circuit stuff, like the diode pack, to be compatible with the  newer stator/rotor in the alt/gen set. I don't think those things are a problem though. The main difference was with the CDI I think. As someone mentioned, the newer ones ran much more lean, and the CDI: timing probably had to be adjusted to keep from burning up pistons! I've heard it rumored before that the older model CDI has a better performing timing curve in it; but honestly, having had both, I can't tell much difference beyond favoring the 5-speed transmission a bit.

IP Logged
dieseldoll
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 01/05/09 at 18:04:13

I thank both of you for the information. I am going to try this way. I am going to get a wiring diagram from a dealer.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 19:21:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Using different year engine

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.