Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Help securing saddlebags (Read 143 times)
MC
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Help securing saddlebags
01/01/09 at 15:36:26

Hi everyone and Happy New Year.

I just installed the support brackets for my bike (2006 S40) and I haven't a clue how to install/mount the actual saddlebags.

They're part # 990A0-77014 (Classic).

Any help walking through the installation process is appreciated.

MC

IP Logged
marine5317
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lecanto,FL
Re: Help securing saddlebags
Reply #1 - 01/01/09 at 17:52:12

MC wrote on 01/01/09 at 15:36:26:
Hi everyone and Happy New Year.

I just installed the support brackets for my bike (2006 S40) and I haven't a clue how to install/mount the actual saddlebags.

They're part # 990A0-77014 (Classic).

Any help walking through the installation process is appreciated.

If they are throw-over bags and you don't want to put over top of the seat or under the seat over fender you can loosen the fender rails and slide the flaps in behind them and get the bags straight and tighten up the fender rails.

MC

« Last Edit: 01/03/09 at 19:14:20 by marine5317 »  
  IP Logged
Bear

Electrical Engineer
- Retired - Ridin'
for 43 yrs

Central Washington State
Reply #2 - 01/01/09 at 18:59:42

I mounted mine over the top of the seat and tried tying them down with the loops provided.  I was not satisfied with them flopping around. These bags are not leather, but some synthetic stuff.  I placed them where I thought they looked good and balanced and then marked  three spots around the mounting bracket loop to put tie wraps.  I then heated a nail, held with a vice grip, with a propane torch until it was red hot.  I used that to punch holes through the saddlebags where I wanted tie wraps to go. Do NOT use a drill, there is some lining material that will just get wrapped up in the bit.  A red hot poker just melts it was through cleanly. Three tie wraps on each side and they are very secure.  (You have to punch a pair of holes for each tie wrap. one on either side of the mounting bar.)
You do not have to remove the bags to remove the seat for service.  Just open up the VelCro joint and lift the seat up and out. Let the bags hang from the tie wraps.

IP Logged
MC
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 01/01/09 at 19:16:46

Thanks for the responses so far.

I gotta say, these saddlebags obviously suck in design that that much work has to be done to "get them right". It didn't seem that simple or secure when I first looked at them. Now, I'm slighly depressed Sad but I'll survive.

Question about the webbing that's under the velcro. It goes from one saddle back to the other through slits in the flaps and secures with O or D rings - can't remember the shape right this second. What are you supposed to do with those?

Also, if you have the same model, do you do anything with the small webbing loops at the bottom of each saddlebag? They don't line up - even close, with the support brackets.

Thanks again.

IP Logged
Bear

Electrical Engineer
- Retired - Ridin'
for 43 yrs

Central Washington State
Reply #4 - 01/01/09 at 19:41:04

I took the saddle bag webbing strap and looped it around the seat strap twice, keeping it flat and then to the opposite side.  It is not too tight, just a "safety" to keep the bags from sliding backwards. Yes, these bags should have been designed much better, but with the S40 design and the turn signal lights where they are, you are stuck with their tall/narrow shape.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 01/01/09 at 22:18:57

I have some Givi soft bags. Just couldnt keep them from flopping around & rubbing on things that spin, like the wheel & pulley. I put a piece of 1/8th plywood in & secured it, contact cement in a few places, a couple of thin pieces of metal to sandwich the  wood & the bag with a few rivets. Havent quite finished but its looking promising.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #6 - 01/02/09 at 08:39:00

i cut luan plywood to fit the inside of each bag(river road slants)and used screws,nyla nuts,fender washers, and 3/8" 2 hole conduit straps
to mount...4 supports per bag,2 on bottom support rail,one on each side,folded the yokes down between the supports and side rails and used cable tyes to secure..
plenty strong enuff  over 2 years w/no problems

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 13:34:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help securing saddlebags

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.