Send Topic Print
valve job (Read 400 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: valve job
Reply #15 - 12/25/08 at 06:06:59

And did they hand you your old valves? I hope they did. If so, make sure they actually fit your engine. Why am I being so harsh? I dont know. I just see that $$$$ figure attached to an LS650 repair bill & figure its a rip.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #16 - 12/26/08 at 10:46:18

Ask for the old parts if no other reason to make sure they were actually replaced.

And I'm sure you can sell them here.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #17 - 12/27/08 at 06:04:40

This guy did not replace your valves, they are not on the parts list.

What he replaced are all the wear parts of the valve actuation train.

If he is honest, he will give you back the spauled cam and rocker tappets which are due to lack of ZDP in modern oils (or a case of low oil or low idle speed for a lot of miles).

He tore your engine down, replaced all worn parts and honed your cylinder and put you in a new set of rings.  Pretty much a complete motor rebuild.  He owes you the rest of the gasket set that he did not use (you want them, you paid for them).

He didn't do all that work "at risk" -- he talked to you at some point in time to get a "proceed with repair" authorization.  They do that you know, for lawsuit reasons.

There is no CAM CHAIN on the list you provided -- at the wear level indicated by the other repair parts that should have been on the list.

If he didn't contact you to get a proceed with repairs authorization, get a lawyer.  If he won't give your parts back, have the lawyer ask him.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 12/27/08 at 08:24:06

gonna have to rename this thread...... "Ream job"

WWW   IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #19 - 12/27/08 at 13:51:20

I agree: IF he did all he claims, you got a "top end overhaul," not a "valve job." And if your engine gushed that much oil that quick, it likely did have a major gasket failure. And if the performance went down the tubes after the oil gush, the head gasket is the likely culprit.

Personally, I'm not sure you got reamed so bad... IF the work was done right, and the engine holds up for a couple of years or 10k miles.

However, the other folks here are correct about the business practices: He should have gotten a final "OK" before starting in on an overhaul. He should have returned all the old replaced parts.

And knowing the Savage as we do here, unless you've had the timing chain replaced in the last few thousand miles; he should have done it, or at least reported its condition, while he had the engine torn down.

But... he was probably already nervous about the size of bill that was racking up against you (your bike) already. He could have ended up owning a bike he didn't want if the bill was so high you couldn't or wouldn't pay it!

It would be a good thing, and much appreciated, if you told us here who the mechanic was, as long as you have told the story completely and fairly. (And it sounds like you are being fair and not vengeful.)

----------------------------------------------------

Need to amend this post: As someone else mentioned: The "shop rate" $$$/hour vary greatly. If you dropped you bike of at a Mr. Super Tuner race bike shop that charges $120 an hour, that is your mistake. There is likely a regular independent shop around that charges $65-$80 an hour and does decent work.

And also, unless it sounds like I'm altogether taking the side of all shops (which I wouldn't do, because there are plenty of bad rip-off artists out there). One major point is how high is their parts markup? Did they charge you $185 for a gasket set that cost them $95? Some shops do that. Like a 100% markup. IMO, they are due some markup for the trouble of ordering the parts etc... but the ones that double the money ARE rip-offs, and need to be put out of business by word of mouth.

So... Are you prepared to let us know what he charged you for parts item by item? That would go a long way towards knowing how bad. or IF, you were really hosed badly.

IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #20 - 12/27/08 at 14:07:47

The guy that works on my Audi always gives me a heads-up before starting anything major. The front office of the shop is like the waiting room in the emergency room at the hospital. Mechanic walks out and says "the problem is this and that, and it will cost x amount of $$$, what do you want to do?" This is standard practice for most honest repair places. What they did in this case seems very unprofessional.

Quick question; If they had called you and told you what it would cost, would you have agreed or looked for a second opinion and estimate? This is the choice that you're supposed to have had before they started working on your bike.

FSO
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #21 - 12/27/08 at 18:07:09

To be pedantic about markup, there is no such thing as "100% markup" unless the original cost was zero. Markup is defined as a certain percentage of the sell price, not the cost price. So, as an example, if the dealer paid $90 for your part, and sold it to you for $180, he sold it at a 50% markup. This is standard practice throughout the retail industry.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #22 - 12/27/08 at 18:17:29

If a $100 stock gos up 50% how  much is it now. 200 or 150

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
savage2k
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 12/27/08 at 19:03:30

Charon wrote on 12/27/08 at 18:07:09:
To be pedantic about markup, there is no such thing as "100% markup" unless the original cost was zero. Markup is defined as a certain percentage of the sell price, not the cost price. So, as an example, if the dealer paid $90 for your part, and sold it to you for $180, he sold it at a 50% markup. This is standard practice throughout the retail industry.

Wrong! If the dealer paid $90 for the part and sold it for $180, there was a 100% markup.
A markup is what percentage of the cost price do you add on to get the selling price.
If he added  another $90 well that is 100%

With that being said, lets talk Profit Margins of the total 180 dollar sale, he made a 50% profit margin on the total sale, seeing he already spent $90 to stock the item.

Gross Profit
------divided by)----------
Total Revenue

So here we go........

$90 profit
----------(divided by)----------
$180 Total revenue
==============  
    0.5 or 50% profit margin

IP Logged
savage2k
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 12/27/08 at 19:11:42

bill67 wrote on 12/27/08 at 18:17:29:
  If a $100 stock gos up 50% how  much is it now. 200 or 150

$150

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #25 - 12/27/08 at 19:20:44

Charon wrote on 12/27/08 at 18:07:09:

As a former warehouse manager, buyer I referred to a 100% markup as a 50% profit margin. Yes, you can markup 100%. If I buy for a dollar & sell for 2 the markup is 100 %, profit margin is 50%.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
savage2k
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 12/27/08 at 19:37:28

Exactly Justin!

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #27 - 12/27/08 at 19:41:45

I stand corrected. However, I point out that there is more than one way to figure markup. That was the way I was taught.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
savage2k
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 12/27/08 at 19:45:14

Charon wrote on 12/27/08 at 19:41:45:
I stand corrected. However, I point out that there is more than one way to figure markup. That was the way I was taught.

Charon, I have made that mistake many times myself.....Even had an hour argument with my BIL years ago to my loss....it's an easily confused thing.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #29 - 12/27/08 at 20:52:25

I have learned from every post Charon has posted I think. That he wasnt dead on on one some meaningless detail is no big deal as far as Im concerned, BUT, I gotta admit, it was fun to finally have the inside track on that guy, even if it is so short lived.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 16:26:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › valve job

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.