Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Another winter storage question (Read 205 times)
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Another winter storage question
12/14/08 at 13:00:52

I hadn't done anything about winter storage until this morning.  Last rode the bike around Oct. 15th.  This morning, put petcock on prime, and it started right up.  Fueled it with 100LL aviation gasoline, which is made to be stable for long term storage (some airplanes have gone over a year between flights with no problem with this fuel).  Then, I rode it for about 3 miles, filled it to the brim again, and put it in the garage.  I realize that this is leaded fuel, but figure that one tank full a year won't hurt it any.

How often, and for how long does it need to be ridden to keep the battery charged over the winter?  Is once every 4 or so weeks for about 5 miles enough?  Here in central Ohio, we typically will have a day or two during each winter month when it will be warm enough (35 + degrees) that I could stand to ride it that far.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: Another winter storage question
Reply #1 - 12/14/08 at 14:57:36

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 12/14/08 at 13:00:52:
....How often, and for how long does it need to be ridden to keep the battery charged over the winter? ....
That would, in large part, depend on your battery.  For long battery life you do not want your battery to drop below 75% charge.  Being conservative, I'll keep it no lower than 85%.

Flooded batteries self-discharge at 13% per month.  If you have a flooded battery you will want to run the bike at least once monthly, and run it long enough to completely recharge the battery.  I probably average 5 miles or less per trip and have no problem maintaining battery charge -- so a 20 mile ride should more than suffice.

Gel Cells and AGM batteries self discharge at 3% and 1% per month.  The Gell Cell can sit for 5 months before dropping to 85% charge.  The AGM battery will go a year.

reference

WWW   IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #2 - 12/14/08 at 15:05:21

Paladin -

Thanks a bunch.  Mine is an '06 S40, and I'm fairly sure it still has the OEM battery.  So, whatever that was is probably the type of battery I have.  Bike only has 3200 miles.

I was surprised this morning that, having not run for over two months, it cranked the engine over normally.  Maybe just little slow, but not by much if slow at all.  And it took me a three or four attempts, as I put it on prime, and then took it off of prime after cranking a few revolutions.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #3 - 12/14/08 at 15:55:47

I fired up the old '87 this morning too. 5 seconds on prime, crank crank vroooooom. I was surprised. Last winter I went out and fired it up about once a week, and let it idle for 10-15 minutes. No problems.

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #4 - 12/14/08 at 17:58:09

Oct 15? Jerry... I feel terrible for you.......  

I picked up a trickle charger from Harbor Fright for $9.00.  It has a pig-tail attachment that you put on your battery terminals, then dangle it outside the bike.  When you want to charge the battery, just plug it in.

The other option is an AGM battery like the Big Crank.

BTW, are you planning to ride up to Loudonville for the Thunder in Paradise bike show in June?

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
Rustbucket

Reply #5 - 12/17/08 at 09:50:49

My 05 has to sit outside, I have one of those battery tenders from walmart (Bell) In the motorcycle dept. hooked up to it.. That and a full tank of gas with sta-bil mixed in. I keep it coverd up and thats about it.. Oh yeah, I changed the oil shortly before i parked it..

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 12/17/08 at 10:03:50

Would recommend a wash and wax.

or spray any exposed metal with a rust preventative.

And a short trip once a month and you won't need either the stabil or battery tender

WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #7 - 12/17/08 at 18:24:55

Speaking of Sta-Bil, here's something I haven't tried myself but looks promising:

Sta-Bil for Ethanol

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 12/18/08 at 07:06:30

If my bike was doomed to sit ouside thru an Oklahoma winter I would comsider building a little, high on one side,( to shuck the snow * ice off itself) framework from PVC pipe & cover it with a tarp, maybe 2 or 3 thicknesses & stick a droplight or 2 in there I could turn on to try to keep it from freezing solid. I kow its not alive & maybe it wouldnt make a difference, I would be asking it right here. Gets darned cold in Ok. City. I lived uo that way one winter. Yep, ONE winter, I am a quick learner.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
David Levi
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 12/18/08 at 07:31:16

I am in the same location as Jerry. I haven't done anything about Winter storage yet, but I have been able to ride it here and there over the past few weeks. It's getting harder though since the weather doesn't seem to want to break. I am still waiting for that mythical 60 degree December day to ride it across town to a family member's garage.

I am a little worried though, I went outside this morning to go to work (in car) and saw a "spot" under the bike (07 s40), I am hoping it was just melting ice or water from the carport, but it was right underneath the bike cover. I can't imagine oil leaking when it hasn't been ridden much, but I guess I'll have to check it out more when I get home.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 14:58:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Another winter storage question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.