Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
First post...couple of quick questions. (Read 182 times)
shiphteey
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

First post...couple of quick questions.
12/07/08 at 14:53:41

Hi everyone, just picked up a 96 model really cheap.  I'm trying to get it pieced together for my father by xmas.  It isn't much but he really likes low seat heights, underwhelming power (relative to my sportbikes) and is pretty easy on his vehicles.

The Savage has no gas tank/tachometer and I'm hunting around for used ones...what years fit perfectly to this year Savage?  Going to get the carbs cleaned out and give it a once over soon.  Its got compression but its been sitting and needs some TLC.

Also...just curious...what is the approximate top speed of a 650 anyways?  I've had my ninja 250 regeared with some other minor mods aero mods and fuel changes to 112.7 mph flat out on GPS and at the Maxton Mile.  Is an honest 100 mph possible out of a stocker?  90?

I'll post pics soon...and it won't be pretty  Grin

Thanks.

A.

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Re: First post...couple of quick questions.
Reply #1 - 12/07/08 at 15:07:25

Try Ebay there are a few tanks on there right now for around 50 bucks or less.Some guys have hit an honest 100.I'm pretty big,and I've had mine to about 85 on the interstate with a little throttle left.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
shiphteey
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 12/07/08 at 15:11:22

Yep, I've been checking ebay but wanted to know what years fit the 96 without any mounting problems.  I don't know much about the savage and don't know what other year tanks go on without a problem.

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #3 - 12/07/08 at 15:12:41

I'm 99.9 % sure they are all interchangeable.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
SavageGreaseMonkey13
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 12/07/08 at 15:15:35

Sorry for being off topic but how is the maxton mile? Ive been wanting to go check it out for a while. It would be cool to run the savage but i doubt that will happen. You in NC?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 12/07/08 at 15:25:20

Only dif that I know of is the Cal. models have a vent tube underneath and the 49 staters don't.

Max speed somewhere between 80 and 100.  90 should be obtainable.

WWW   IP Logged
shiphteey
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 12/07/08 at 15:41:05

Demin wrote on 12/07/08 at 15:12:41:
I'm 99.9 % sure they are all interchangeable.

Thanks!

IP Logged
shiphteey
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 12/07/08 at 15:43:07

oiramagev wrote on 12/07/08 at 15:15:35:
Sorry for being off topic but how is the maxton mile? Ive been wanting to go check it out for a while. It would be cool to run the savage but i doubt that will happen. You in NC?

Maxton is pretty fun.  Standing 1 mile run with about 9/10ths of a mile to stop.  No problem on slower vehicles.  Did 203.8 on my ZX-12, 112.7 on the ninja 250.  On the savage unfortunately it has to run in the "750" class because it is over 650 technically ... which means it has to run "against" GSXR 750s!  For just going out there and trying it once, why not?!?!

I reside in VA.

A.

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #8 - 12/07/08 at 16:00:37

The design has remained unchanged since the 1980's.  Any tank (other than a California Emissions Tank) will fit and work.

There is no tachometer made for the Savage.  Those who have tachs have jury-rigged them to work on the bike.

Top speed?  Stock, maybe 80, if you're lucky.  All of the power is down low.  It runs real well up to 60 or so, but then just runs out of breath.  90 is possible with some modifications to the fuel delivery, air intake and exhaust.

Remember, it is a cruiser, not a sport bike.  It's not built to run like stink like sports bikes do.....

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
marine5317
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lecanto,FL
Reply #9 - 12/07/08 at 16:26:22

skrapiron -FSO wrote on 12/07/08 at 16:00:37:
The design has remained unchanged since the 1980's.  Any tank (other than a California Emissions Tank) will fit and work.

The[color=#ffff00]re is no tachometer made for the Savage.  Those who have tachs have jury-rigged th. em to work on the bike[/color]

Top speed?  Stock, maybe 80, if you're lucky.  All of the power is down low.  It runs real well up to 60 or so, but then just runs out of breath.  90 is possible with some modifications to the fuel delivery, air intake and exhaust.

Remember, it is a cruiser, not a sport bike.  It's not built to run like stink like sports bikes do.....

Wherever you buy a tach make sure it is "double fire" The best price I found was Onida Suzuki part#DS244133. This one is black face and it works great.

IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #10 - 12/07/08 at 16:32:48

skrapiron -FSO wrote on 12/07/08 at 16:00:37:

There is no tachometer made for the Savage.  Those who have tachs have jury-rigged them to work on the bike.

I have done 85 with me and the wife on my stock except for the shocks 2006, and lets just say that we have the pre-load set to 5 when we two up.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
shiphteey
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 12/07/08 at 17:21:32

Typo, I meant to say speedo, not tach  Wink

Here's a couple of pics...she ain't pretty but for $150 with a clean title and compression... Cheesy

Mirror came off of a Honda.  The signals will probably be replaced with one from a Honda as these have electrical tape around the bases (probably holding them together from previous drops or mishaps).  Seat should get reupholstered but for now I want the bike functional and safe before I try and make it pretty.

IP Logged
mastrofury
YaBB Newbies

Beaufort SC
Reply #12 - 12/07/08 at 17:34:44

mastrofury mastrofury   IP Logged
SavageGreaseMonkey13
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 12/07/08 at 17:38:00

Any idea on what kind of brake light that is? Pretty cool looking.

IP Logged
shiphteey
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 12/07/08 at 20:01:30

No idea what type of light it is.  I'll check it out tomorrow and see what name or markings there are...maybe a few more pics.

A.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 21:30:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › First post...couple of quick questions.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.