Send Topic Print
take out battery or (Read 208 times)
alcoa

never let the
bastards wear you
down

take out battery or
12/06/08 at 14:27:36

start the bike every two weeks and let it run for 5-10 min. would that work? Wink

most problems are caused by the loose nut that conects the handelbars to the seat
  IP Logged
Tincanman
Serious Thumper

O~`o

Omaha, NE
Re: take out battery or
Reply #1 - 12/06/08 at 15:29:05

yup thats about all I do... maybe even ride some if its not to nasty out.

Are we gona ride? or just dic around all day?
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #2 - 12/06/08 at 15:53:54

Allow me to suggest the obvious - read your owner's manual, and do whatever it says.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 12/06/08 at 19:07:18

I'd probably get a battery tender if it was gonna be parked for so long that I felt like I should start it every couple of weeks. I guess you Could get a voltmeter & keep an eye on the battery, if its headed down, slap a charger on it, ORRR, dress up & go for a RIDE!!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ChicagoRider
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Chicago suburbs
Reply #4 - 12/07/08 at 18:32:59

I'm in Chicago, in winter I keep my s40 in an attached garage.  I start it up twice a month and let it run for 15min.  I also wrap my bike in a heater blanket.  I adjust the blanket power setting as needed to prevent battery from freezing on days when garage temp drops below freezing.

I never needed a battery tender.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 12/08/08 at 00:04:28

I live in Texas & I've never had to concern myself with a battery Freezing! Really, I have always just thought that the water/acid mix just didnt freeze.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #6 - 12/08/08 at 04:05:36

Batteries don't freeze,At least I never had one freeze at 30 below zero,now if there was no charge in it maybe ,I don't know about that.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #7 - 12/08/08 at 04:42:33

Don't just let it idle without moving some air across the cooling fins.  The engine is air cooled.  Even though the air temps are super low (compared to summer) you run the risk of creating hot-spots in the engine by not circulating air.

If you're going to let it idle, put a fan in front of the bike to blow air across the jug.  Better yet, if the roads are clear and dry, bundle up and take it for a ride.

I would suggest that you put fuel stablizer in the gas tank.  I use seafoam.  It works very well and cleans out the carb when you run the engine to boot!

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
forrest
Serious Thumper

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Kennesaw, Ga
Reply #8 - 12/08/08 at 05:29:06

My bike never goes more than 2 days without being ridden.

Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #9 - 12/08/08 at 09:45:12

If you chosse to start the bike up every few weeks, remember to adjust the idle up a bit.  

In a perfect world the bike would recharge the battery in a few minutes, but.....  in the real world,  the available amp's the charging circuits makes is dependant on engine RPM's.    Lower RPM's means the bike may be making just enough power to run the lights and sparkplug.  

Me,   I choose the DC charger (1 amp) route and I have a connector added to the batttery terminals.   If I don't ride for a while, I hook up the charger for a few hours.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
aysrav
YaBB Newbies

Augusta, Georgia
Reply #10 - 12/08/08 at 10:31:33

Why anyone who doesn't ride consistently throughout the winter months would not invest in a battery tender beats me! They're dirt cheap, easy to install and you never have to worry again. If you're bikes sits in the garage for weeks or even months you're always good to go. Smiley

IP Logged
Prophet_10

TANSTAAFL

Dekalb, IL
Reply #11 - 12/09/08 at 10:43:48

aysrav wrote on 12/08/08 at 10:31:33:
Why anyone who doesn't ride consistently throughout the winter months would not invest in a battery tender beats me!

I'm in Chicago and last year I left it in a garage and didn't do sh*t.  Started right up in spring.

I probably won't get a tender because I be broke, and apparently I won't need one.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 21:41:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › take out battery or

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.