Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
engine noise (Read 139 times)
greyhead51

i love u charlotte

munford,tn
engine noise
11/28/08 at 13:33:16

i've been on this forum for about 4 years now and have gotten a lot of help form the members, i recently bought a honda 750 aero and gave my savage to my son (actually sold it for $500.00 the principle being to show him he has to earn what he gets)
the bike started making a knocking sound a few weeks ago, nothing serious just annoying. took it to a local shop and was told it is probably in the bottom end (sounds like cylinder/valves/camchain to me but what do i know) he told me it was probably going to cost between $500 and $1000 to fix!!
any ideas, or does anyone know of an engine for sale reasonable!
thanks and God bless...spic49

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: engine noise
Reply #1 - 11/28/08 at 14:24:36

How many miles do you have on the bike?

From which side is the noise the loudest?

Up high?

Down low?

===================

Remarkably little info was given to you to try to help you with.  

Your stealership didn't tell you anything, just told you it was going to be very expensive.  They don't really know anything, they are just trying to get the bike into their clutches for a teardown analysis that will cost you $$$$.

Fine, take a foot or so piece of tubing and put it to your ear and use the other end to search out which side and relatively high or low for the source of the Knock sound.  If you have an stethoscope that would be nice too.

Knock sounds can even come from the long engine mounting bolts that run through your peg mounts getting loose letting the entire engine move during acceleration.

Use the tubing and find out roughly where the sound is coming from as the very first step to not spending $500 plus dollars at your stealership.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 11/28/08 at 15:31:33

Do the simple checks first, adjust the valves, cam chain adjuster, and change the oil.

I got an 88 with a knock and did the same.  still knocks.  Hope it works for you.

« Last Edit: 11/28/08 at 23:06:50 by verslagen1 »  
WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 11/28/08 at 22:26:14

Got a pm from the man that says the noise comes and goes.  He can't find it with a screwdriver held to his ear.  Never could get that screwdriver trick to work, always used a piece of tubing myself.  Never got any clearer indication of a "where" any better than right side, left side or high up or down low anyway.

Still don't know how many miles are on the bike, so I'd say tighten up the motor mounting bolts as a easy gimme and then check the cam chain adjuster if it is over 12,000 miles on the bike's odometer.

Change the oil, look for metal, easy stuff.  Other than that, mystery noises that are bad things get worse over time.  Eventually they will get to the point they define themselves clearly.

I have never read a thread about crank, rod or main bearings going bad on our Savages.  The stealership is simply BS'ing you on that one, shame on them.

I have read lots of knock stories, things that were off the wall like the small belt sprocket pulley getting loose and the speedo clunking loose inside the gas tank.  There was a knock sound associated with a clutch assembly one time, that one depended on if clutch was in or out.  We got lots of reasons for motors to make a noise (and some have been doing it for a long long time too).

I had to fix my speedo noise and have personally had my motor mounts get loose and scared me with a deep infrequent knock sound that totally ended when the loose motor mounting bolts were tightened back up.

Heck, your headlight can rattle too, but it can't make a real knock sound I don't reckon.  

But what is a rattle to me might be somebody else's "knock" to them.

Heck, the engine itself naturally makes a sorta heavy knock sound of sorts every time you goose it too hard with the rpm too low due to being in too tall a gear ...  I think it is a form of detonation knock of some sort when that happens.  

And it will, every time you do that sort of "lug it low and goose it" stuff in the lower gears.  I have watched my gas tank move back and forth in the rubber mounts many many times when I was making the big single "thump" hard on purpose.

Bad gas has made a nasty rattle knock for an entire tankful one time.

I guess the point is a knock can have many causes, none of which are grounds to give the bike over to a stealership and sign yourself up for a big repair bill for an "undetermined cause", especially when they have indicated a willingness to BS you with a never before seen bearing failure.  

Live with it for a while before blowing any money like that -- even if you aren't a wrencher it makes good sense to at least know what your issue really is before giving it over to the stealership and bending over the repair table while they have their way with you.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 11/28/08 at 23:10:36

All good points oldfeller, except I've seen several tensioners fall apart at less than 10k.

The cam chain is the best indicator of how well the PO took care of the bike.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 11/29/08 at 01:01:17

Depending on the mileage, Id start with looking at the tensioner. Thats a dangerous issue. That can destroy an engine in a split second, so, even if it shouldnt need looked at, I believe an unexplained noise needs looked into right away. I would start in the place that could be fatal for the engine. But, before I did that, I'd tighten the motor mounts & look at the belt pulley on the left side of the engine.

Is it possible this "Knock" that comes & goes only shows up under hard acceleration , from low speeds & the bike in 3rd gear?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
greyhead51

i love u charlotte

munford,tn
Reply #6 - 11/29/08 at 13:28:06

sorry for the lack of info. about his bike, it has 33627 miles on it. the oil has been changed every 3000 miles (sometimes sooner) filter every other change. as for the knock it seems to go away after the engine warms-up and while it is knocking it doesn't matter if you're riding or it's just idling.
don't mean to be a pain, just confused about what to do! by the way i'm 53 years old and i ride like it so it hasn't been abused.

thanks and God bless...spic49 Embarrassed

p.s. just changed the oil last month

IP Logged
greyhead51

i love u charlotte

munford,tn
Reply #7 - 11/29/08 at 14:04:37

didn't mean to say it completely goes away, tends to come and go. as for the cam chain it is the original, tensioner is original also.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 11/29/08 at 15:23:31

greyhead51 wrote on 11/29/08 at 14:04:37:
didn't mean to say it completely goes away, tends to come and go. as for the cam chain it is the original, tensioner is original also.

At that mileage, the cam chain is the number 1 contender.
I'd open it up right away, no more riding till it's checked.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1191167029

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 11/29/08 at 18:35:00

Well, he did get the part about the oil.  So something sank in.

And we all could aspire to have our cam chains go 33k.

So what was it?  Why you?

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 22:25:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › engine noise

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.