Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ignition advance....does the cdi provide for it? (Read 246 times)
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Ignition advance....does the cdi provide for it?
11/23/08 at 05:56:58

or is there a way to do it ourselves.?

Because I can!
  IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Re: Ignition advance....does the cdi provide for i
Reply #1 - 11/23/08 at 09:56:56

someone was gonna try it awhile ago, i think it may have been Ed L. don't know for sure.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #2 - 11/23/08 at 10:54:47

Yep...I think you are right.  When he was here, we talked about it.  I think he was going to file the holes larger on the pickup so that there was a little adjustment.

Because I can!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 11/23/08 at 11:29:06

I've heard of people doing that with other models.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
mikestrikes
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 11/23/08 at 17:07:21

Toymaker wrote on 11/23/08 at 05:56:58:
or is there a way to do it ourselves.?

All Ignition boxes I know of will have at least a simple timing curve built in.
I know Kawasaki boxes I've dealt with have a start up setting, and reads RPM's and curves the timing as needed, but they also have a Throttle Position sensor to add a 3D timing curve.

The Savage I bet has a range or retard and advance thats RPM related. By how much or at that RPM I have no clue.

But yeah you could slot the holes in the pickup mounts and move it a little to get some retard or advance timing but no more than say 3*

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #5 - 11/24/08 at 08:00:15

The LS650 SSM lists the ignition timing @5deg btdc below 2k rpm and 30deg btdc above 4k rpm - we've never had plot posted here of the actual curve (that I remember).

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #6 - 11/25/08 at 12:25:42

I'm guilty as charged for slotting the mounting holes on the ignition sender unit. It was't real hard to do unless you count dropping a thrust washer which ended up sticking between the flywheel and stator and making a strange whiring noise, lucky I didn't blow the engine. After removing the left side cover all I did was take a dremel and oval the mounting holes on the sender. I have a degree wheel which shows that I got almost 2 degrees advance on the module. Performance wize it seems to give me another 200-250 more useable rpm but that is just a (seat of the pants) observation. You can't get any more advance cause the heads of the bolts that mount the module end up getting in the way of moving it. If you want to get more advance it would be possible to make a plate out of a piece of metal but that will cause some other problems. Ideally you would need two plates, one that mounts on the side cover and one that mounts the module. Drill the plates to give the advance you want and mount everything using recessed screws to keep the heads out of the way. The little mounting pillars on the side cover would need to be ground down to make up for the extra thickness of the two plates so the module would line up at the right spot on the flywheel. Done right you could set the timing anywhere you please. Now the trick would be to make the timing adjustable from the outside of the engine, still working on that Wink
If there was a way to open up the cdi and reprogram it that would be cool also. There used to be the circuit diagram of the cdi floating around but I haven't seen it for quite some time. Bet you could tweek it but I wouldn't know how.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #7 - 11/27/08 at 03:52:35

Hi Ed....I wodered if you did the advance thing...sounds good.  Next time I have the left cover off, I'll be joining ya.  BTW...how are the bees?

Because I can!
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 11/27/08 at 05:46:06

Toymaker wrote on 11/27/08 at 03:52:35:
Hi Ed....I wodered if you did the advance thing...sounds good.  Next time I have the left cover off, I'll be joining ya.  BTW...how are the bees?

Hey guys.......Happy Turkey !  Cheesy

IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #9 - 11/28/08 at 12:59:15

Hey...Lancer, Ed and Oldfeller....aka "The Semi-wild bunch"  I hope you all enjoyed a good meal and a restful Thanksgiving...I did and am getting ready for a hot Turkey sandwich or two. Smiley

Because I can!
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #10 - 11/28/08 at 15:27:49

Toymaker wrote on 11/28/08 at 12:59:15:
Hey...Lancer, Ed and Oldfeller....aka "The Semi-wild bunch"  I hope you all enjoyed a good meal and a restful Thanksgiving...I did and am getting ready for a hot Turkey sandwich or two. Smiley

Just had a plate of leftovers microwaved; so good the second time around...then a nice sized piece of pumkin pie with whipped cream all over and a nice cup of coffee to wash it down.   Smiley

Yesterday was good; three kids with husbands/wives + 5 grandchildren running around...lot's of noise, everyone talking at once, the whole family all together for the first time in quite a while, and the cherry on top being my youngest daughter (US Marine baby girl) being 3 months pregnant with her first baby ... # 6 grandchap for us... makes for a good Thanksgiving in my book.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 11/29/08 at 07:49:14

Thanksgiving was nice, I left at 9:30 and drove to Raleigh where the wife's family sat 40 people around a very long table and we had a feast that was 2 days a cooking with 2-3 women in attendance at the stoves. Plus what was arranged to be cooked elsewhere and brought in hot.  It was a mega feast.

Then I drove to Wilmington and ate Thanksgiving Dinner with my side of the family (the colorful side) which was cooking and drinking and laughing right on up until it hit the table at 6:30 pm.

Then I drove home.   Two days worth of good times inside a single day plus all the driving !!

The Semi-Wild Bunch, huh?   Sure we weren't a bit closer to the Wild Hogs than the Wild Bunch?  

I still chuckle thinking about floating in your pool laughing at that angry young storm cloud that followed us all the way back from the upper mountain passes.   It simply couldn't see us to hit us with those flashing lightning bolts what with us being neck deep in the water while soaking out all the aches ...  it could sure hear us laughing at it but couldn't see us to hit us.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
maxbowersox
YaBB Newbies

Charleston, SC
Reply #12 - 09/21/15 at 17:34:24

Can I revive an old thread and ask questions?  Has anyone else tried this, and how is it working out?  I was thinking about doing this but was concerned about keeping the gap correct between the pickup sensor and the flywheel, since the sensor does not mount to the case but rather the cover.  Just got finished with several other mods and am planning to put it on the dyno later this week.  Thought it would be best to set the timing first.  It feels to me like the timing could use a little more advance, or at least a more aggressive timing advance curve.  I think it would accelerate quicker if the timing were made to advance sooner in the rpms.  I put a Dynatec 2000 on a sportster that I built and chose an aggressive advance.  It made a huge difference in the throttle response, don't know if it made more horsepower, but it was a lot snappier when I hammered down.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 09/21/15 at 19:33:26

I don't really know that advancing timing is needed on a long stroke motor that is designed for torque.  The problem could be detonation at low rpm and full throttle.....on hot days.  The euro version of the bike has a throttle sensor switch that is activated at full throttle..... and we believe it retards the timing at full throttle (although we have no written documents that prove that yet.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
maxbowersox
YaBB Newbies

Charleston, SC
Reply #14 - 09/22/15 at 02:18:24

I was looking for a way to get the timing to advance quicker, like being advanced to 30°btdc by about 1600-1800 rpms, and then having a full advance of 35° btdc.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 14:38:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ignition advance....does the cdi provide for it?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.