Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
white spacer vs. clip position (Read 106 times)
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
white spacer vs. clip position
11/18/08 at 10:31:59

I just did a carburetor cleaning.  Now I notice that my fuel mileage has dropped from 52-55 mpg down to around 40.  I know that some adjustment is necessary.  I read the Carburetor Theory 101 in the tech section and have seen alot of discussion about the white spacer.  Am I correct that in the 101 document the clip position of the jet needle (higher is leaner) corresponds to the Savage white spacer adaptation (thinner is leaner)?  Any suggestions about what adjustments I should make?  I want maximum mpg for commuting.  I probably need to add that I installed a like-new baffled Sportster muffler on the bike, but was told that I shouldn't need to re-jet.  2002 engine and carb on a 2000 Savage.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: white spacer vs. clip position
Reply #1 - 11/18/08 at 11:17:04

you have it backward on both white spacer and clip

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #2 - 11/18/08 at 12:32:43

Now I'm really confused.  Page 2 of the "Carburetor Theory 101" document says, "If the engine needs to run leaner, the clip would be moved higher. This will drop the needle farther down into the needle jet and cause less fuel to flow past it."  So to apply this same principle to the white spacer mod, a thinner spacer would also allow the needle to drop farther down.  Are you sure I have it backwards?

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #3 - 11/18/08 at 12:36:23

You were right about the clip position although few late model carburetted bikes had adjustable needles. Needle spacer with Savages is not the same as usual needle shimming, spacer is above the needle 'clip' hence thinner richens the mixture.

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #4 - 11/18/08 at 13:34:20

Instead of messing with the spacer, would I get any result from adjusting the pilot air jet to make the fuel mix leaner?  And if I adjust the pilot air jet, is there any other adjustment I should do as well?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 11/18/08 at 13:56:39

pilot jet is for idle adjustment and the white spacer is for mid thottle.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 11/18/08 at 15:30:48

What changed?
If mileage changed after cleaning...you may have had a blocked passage that is now opened up.  
Is your jetting stock?  40mpg is very low for this bike.
Stock jets are 52.5# pilot/ 145# main (47.5#/125# in CA).  Is that what you have?

Raising the needle, with lowered clip or less spacer, pulls it out of the needle jet and makes you richer,...worse mileage.
I wouldn't worry about that.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #7 - 11/19/08 at 04:49:32

Thanks for the advice.  I'll check the sizes of the jets.   I bought the engine and carb off a salvage bike with low mileage, but I don't know if any mods had been done.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 20:29:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › white spacer vs. clip position

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.