Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Spark timing / CDI Unit (Read 131 times)
metri

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Ottawa, Ontario
Spark timing / CDI Unit
11/15/08 at 06:31:32

Hello,

I'm currently working on an Electrical Engineering project for school and have chosen to build a CDI unit. I found the plans online and ordered the parts and built the circuit. Now it runs on a bench, but it's designed for a different bike. I'm wondering a few things about the Savage spark system to figure out if it's possible to modify my current circuit to fire the savage (I'd get bonus marks Tongue ).

The questions are:
Does anyone know when the sensor sends the pulse to the CDI? and if there is one sensor or two. On some bikes there are 2 pickups for timing (12 and 36 degree's I think) and on other only 1.

The plans I'm following are on this page if anyone wants to have a look.
http://www.transmic.net/gb1684-V53.htm

Any thoughts on wether or not it's possible to make this work on a Savage would be much appreciated. Thanks again

Brian

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Spark timing / CDI Unit
Reply #1 - 11/15/08 at 07:54:31

Haven't been in there, but pretty sure there's only one pick up

not sure but this might be it.

I'm sure you can make it work but may take some doing, get a round one, it will help.  You'll just need to add a pickup for the 36° sensor.  Get yourself a alternator gasket or 2 cause there's oil in there.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 11/15/08 at 07:55:54

BTW, is there a circuit for a single sensors for us that might need to replace the CDI?

WWW   IP Logged
mikestrikes
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 11/15/08 at 08:23:23

Yes its a single setup... sure would be nice to be able to adjust it...

I'm use to motors with a rotor setup that you can modify or replace and get different timing.

The only way I see the Savage getting that is to have the pickup coils mounting holes slotted so you can move it ....

Also does the Savage have a rev limiter ? It should.

IP Logged
metri

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Ottawa, Ontario
Reply #4 - 11/15/08 at 09:15:59

The circuit I'm using can work with one pickup. The biggest trouble will be to find out how many degrees before TDC the signal is fired. At the point, the circuit should be able to give any firing curve desired. I have a spare engine, I'll try taking out the sensor and figuring out when, with relation to TDC it signals...

Thanks for the help and schematic Smiley

Brian

IP Logged
DJM

'06 Red S40

Encinitas CA
Reply #5 - 11/17/08 at 15:21:14

Hi Metri,
If you have access to an oscilloscope and a pressure sensor, here's how you measure the angle between sensor out put and TDC.  You will need to us a dual trace scope, one input attached to the sensor coil.

You will need to unscrew the spark plug and screw in the a pressure sensor. Now, hook the other scope channel to the pressure sensor output and crank the engine. The pressure will peak at TDC.

Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
  IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #6 - 11/20/08 at 03:21:11

According to the factory manual the timing spark is  5deg BTDC below 2000 rpm and 30deg BTDC above 4,000 rmp.  my guess would be one of those should be straight up signal timing.  Try degreeing the crank like you would for the cams and find TDC and see how far away the signal pickup is.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 10:25:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Spark timing / CDI Unit

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.