Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Chain tension (Read 112 times)
eanon

Thump-Thump-Thu mp

Austin, Texas
Chain tension
11/11/08 at 13:15:51

I just converted to a chain.  Starting off with a 17/43.  I'm looking forward to being able to mess with my gear ratio's / ride performance.  (Tip:  Make sure you reinstall the left shock BEFORE you put the rear wheel back on.  The shock mount bolt will not fit with the new sprocket in place!  Time to take the rear wheel off again..... Roll Eyes)  Anyone happen to know the proper chain tension?

Red '97, cone filter, 150 main, 52.5 Pilot, half spacer, Screaming Eagle turnout, 17/43 chain drive, shield, de-badged, 4" forward control extensions. Gettin' there.
  IP Logged
eanon

Thump-Thump-Thu mp

Austin, Texas
Re: Chain tension
Reply #1 - 11/12/08 at 13:56:06

No one?  An inch of travel (in the middle of the chain, between the two sprockets)?  Half an inch?  Two inches?

Red '97, cone filter, 150 main, 52.5 Pilot, half spacer, Screaming Eagle turnout, 17/43 chain drive, shield, de-badged, 4" forward control extensions. Gettin' there.
  IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #2 - 11/12/08 at 17:30:32

I have chain drive. Seems mine is about an inch there in the middle. Too loose and it lurches with throttle on/off.

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #3 - 11/12/08 at 17:53:49

3/4 inch deflection @ bottom centered between the sprockets is standard on any chain
btw BELL makes a good non dirt grabbing lube our wally world has it..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 11/12/08 at 23:49:52

Seems like the deflection would be somewhat dependant on the distance between sprockets. The farther between, the greater the deflection, which could equal the same tension. 3/4" deflection with sprockets 1 foot apart would take a lot of pressure, compared to the pressure required to create 3/4" deflection with 4 feet between sprockets.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
eanon

Thump-Thump-Thu mp

Austin, Texas
Reply #5 - 11/13/08 at 14:09:59

3/4" sounds good to me.  Thanks for the info guys.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:15:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Chain tension

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.