Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
plug/cap leak repair ($$) bill? (Read 150 times)
matt_savage

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

plug/cap leak repair ($$) bill?
11/12/08 at 12:34:12

So it appears I have the common plug/cap leak on my bike.  Its a 98 w/ zero mods and 6,xxx stock miles.  There is enough oil on the front and left side of the engine when I am riding to make it noticeable, and it begins to smoke a bit after it is warmed up (I guess that is the leaking oil burning off the hot engine stack?)  My question is this, I have a fair amount of mech. experience to fix this myself as well as the necessary tools, however I currently live in a city w/ no where to work on my bike.  What kind of damage am I looking at if I were to take it to a shop/suzuki dealership and tell them to fix the leaky plug cap??  Thanks and I absolutely love riding this bike around!!

-Matt

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Re: plug/cap leak repair ($$) bill?
Reply #1 - 11/12/08 at 12:37:14

$7.00 part,and about 4-5 hours labor.Shops differ,but about $65.00 an hour is probably average.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
matt_savage

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 11/12/08 at 12:39:33

wow!  that long to do the job?  seems like it should only take 2 or so hours??

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #3 - 11/12/08 at 12:41:30

It might.Depends what the book calls for is what they'll charge.It usually takes the average guy about 4.Call them they should be able to look it up,and quote you.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #4 - 11/12/08 at 13:51:02

How long it really takes or how long they "say" it takes......... Hmmmm

I'm very mechanical, but.... I don't consider myself a expert MC mechanic.    It took me 2 1/2 hours and I did my valve adjustment too.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #5 - 11/12/08 at 14:04:11

I have the leak also. I've noticed that it's hardly leaking riding in the cold weather. Yeah, it went from real bad in the summer to hardly a drop this past week or so. Took a ride up the coast today with the temp being around 42F. Usually wait until the bike cools down to clean the mess, but hey, no mess. Plenty of oil in there also. Maybe hitting the NJ potholes caused the plug to seat itself properly. I'm in denial eh eh.

Shops around hee charge $85.00 an hour for labor, and I've yet to use them. Made a u-turn when they quoted me around $350 to replace my belt which only needed an adjustment. Did that myself. I hear you though, I work on the bike in sand. Not fun.

FSO
  IP Logged
savage2k
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 11/12/08 at 16:12:38

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 11/12/08 at 13:51:02:
How long it really takes or how long they "say" it takes......... Hmmmm

BINGO..we have a winner!

IP Logged
savage2k
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 11/12/08 at 16:15:16

photojoe FSO wrote on 11/12/08 at 14:04:11:

Shops around hee charge $85.00 an hour for labor, and I've yet to use them. Made a u-turn when they quoted me around $350 to replace my belt which only needed an adjustment. Did that myself. I hear you though, I work on the bike in sand. Not fun.

I was quoted around $600 at the stealership for the cam chain issue. Even though I had the "verslavy mod" already done up at a machine shop, and told them I didn't want a new chain or guides, I was told it would still be in the $350-$400 plus range. I even had to tell them about 3 times that they didn't have to split the case. It's scarey to think how many of these stearlership mechanics  have never seen the inside of a savage.
I did it myself in 2 hours, and that's with a cold beer in one hand. Four thousand miles later, she still purrs like a kitten.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 11/12/08 at 18:27:41

average mech.
3 or 4 hours to get at it 1st time.  
2 hours if you toss the bolts over your shoulder as you work.  
(manuals? we don't need no stinkin' manuals)
4 or 5 to put it back together after a 2 week wait for mail order parts.
And throw in an hour for head scratchin' figuring what to do about the last you just stripped out.   Shocked

WWW   IP Logged
matt_savage

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 11/12/08 at 19:09:58

well maybe I'll just keep an eye on it til the weather changes and I can get some serious garage time in the spring to fix it properly.  The smoking oil kinda scares me a bit when I pull up to a stoplight and I can clearly see it right in front of my face!!  Is that a potential problem as long as there is plenty of oil in there?

Just sucks not having a place or adequate space to store/work on it.  Thanks for the advice guys and I love riding this thing around.  I only have to go 4 miles round trip to work, so by the time it heats up good and starts leaking I'm done riding.  

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 11/12/08 at 23:57:49

YOu cant find 30 square feet to work on it? Nowhere? No place to toss a $5.00 harbor freight tarp on the ground? A few pieces of PVC & another tarp & you got an awning, need a windbreak? get a tarp. not that much $$$ tied up. They have little air compressors for under 60 bucks./ Theyll run an impact long enough to break & mostly run out the bolts on this little thing.An air ratchet makes life good.Their little dinky manual impact works, I got one & I needed it today,.For a little job away from the shop.Why you say you have no place? Are there people around that would mess with your stuff?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
matt_savage

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #11 - 11/13/08 at 06:10:13

haha when I say I have no space, i really have no space.  My parents live about 30 minutes away but I cant find a lot of time to get there w/ my work and their schedule, plus they have no garage just a gravel driveway.  I'll have to wait til the spring and I can get out there to work on it.  My place has absolutely no where to work on it and I'm not paying $350+ for someone to do this job when I know I can do it.  Thanks for the advice and I'll just deal with the leak til I can fix it darn myself!

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #12 - 11/13/08 at 07:10:42

Keep oil in it and ride it.
I did that on my first 2 savages ... never even knew there was a fix for it. In fact thought it was head gasket ... not rubber plug ... may have tried to fix it if I had known.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:21:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › plug/cap leak repair ($$) bill?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.