CA charcoal canister (Read 106 times)
88pagan

God is just an
imaginary friend for
adults..

Norco, California
CA charcoal canister
11/09/08 at 15:01:52

Does anyone know offhand if that canister is actually serving us any purpose? For one, I'm just curious if anything will change in the way it runs/starts if I reroute the breather hoses and just drop them off somewhere else, and remove the canister. Another reason, I've been trying to figure out why my fuel flow isn't as consistent as it should be. I ordered the raptor petcock but after pulling mine out again and testing it, found out there isn't actually anything wrong with mine. If I give it a lot of hard acceleration it drains the fuel from the filter and starts dying. The screen on both filters are perfectly clean and freeflowing. I did discover that the moment I open the gas cap the filter fills quickly. I don't know if our gascap is designed to breathe at all but it looks like it is. Also, I'm going to pull the seat and check the line tomorrow cause I think that breather hose off the gas tank isn't breathing at all. Sorry, back to the main question, think everything will be fine if I shorten that hose off the tank or even remove it alltogether? Btw, don't be mad at me but I'm not concerned with the CARB requirements or the fumes being released into the air or anything. Thanks folks!

96 Bobber - Screamin Eagle, header wrap, K+N cone filter, jetted, straight bar w/1.5" risers, solo seat, Ed. L fwd ctrls, custom rear fender, TKat, Metallic charcoal and polished all over.
  IP Logged
SavageGreaseMonkey13
Ex Member

Re: CA charcoal canister
Reply #1 - 11/09/08 at 18:10:29

all the canister does is soak up the fumes from the gas in the carb. all cars today have some sort of charcoal canister to do this and prevent the hydrocarbons from entering the atmosphere. not sure about the cap supposed to being vented or not. dont know too much about the laws in cali but to my understanding you wont pass inspection without that canister if it came with it stock.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 11/09/08 at 18:47:43

CA caps aren't vented, but there's an inlet in the cap.  I beleave it was savage greg that took one apart with photo's.
Instead we have a tap in the top of the tank that runs to the canister.  Which in turn has a line to the carb.

WWW   IP Logged
88pagan

God is just an
imaginary friend for
adults..

Norco, California
Reply #3 - 11/10/08 at 15:13:09

Thanks Verslagen, the cap seems to checkout. The inlet works fine. The vent hose that comes off the tank has a union under the seat on the way to the canister. I pulled the seat, separated the hose and found perfectly fine airflow in and out of the side heading to the tank, no airflow whatsoever on the side heading to the canister. I left them separated as it doesn't appear it will cause any problems. Gonna hit a long stretch of road tomorrow morning and see if th fuel flow will keep up with the throttle now.

96 Bobber - Screamin Eagle, header wrap, K+N cone filter, jetted, straight bar w/1.5" risers, solo seat, Ed. L fwd ctrls, custom rear fender, TKat, Metallic charcoal and polished all over.
  IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #4 - 11/10/08 at 17:37:00

run it in prime, maybe you have a bad vaccuum.

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
88pagan

God is just an
imaginary friend for
adults..

Norco, California
Reply #5 - 11/10/08 at 17:54:24

Naw, already attacked that area. Petcock is modded to res/on/off and has perfect flow. Only time the fuel flow slows down is under heavy throttle and the fuel filter fills up quick as soon as I open the gas cap. Thinking the tank wasn't breathing at all which would make the gas flow struggle. We'll see if that restricted vent hose had anything to do with it tomorrow morning

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 11/11/08 at 07:45:32

could be pinched somewhere.

let us know how it goes.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Educatedredneck
Alliance Member

Sometimes it's
better to be lucky
than good.

Hampstead, Maryland
Reply #7 - 11/11/08 at 23:21:47

Hey, watch how full you fill your tank with that hose disconected, don't ask me how I know. Wink Wink Wink

I suppose you close off the hose, or "T" it into the fuel line.

I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to "T" it into the crankcase vent hose, or route it to the air box.

My two coppers worth.

1997 Savage - Hard Chrome Drag Pipe, Seat Mod, 152.5 main, 1 - #4 washer, Di Hard Battery, T-Kat, 1" Drag Bar
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:24:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › CA charcoal canister

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.