Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
spark (Read 125 times)
kennycreed
Alliance Member

Island Of Lewis SCOTLAND
spark
11/09/08 at 09:36:10

Hi all, just wondering if there is another make of ignition coil that would work on the Savage,,,(ie) honda kawa yam exetr.

trying to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: spark
Reply #1 - 11/10/08 at 09:50:41

kennycreed wrote on 11/09/08 at 09:36:10:
Hi all, just wondering if there is another make of ignition coil that would work on the Savage,,,(ie) honda kawa yam exetr.

Do you mean that would mount to the same mounting holes??

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
kennycreed
Alliance Member

Island Of Lewis SCOTLAND
Reply #2 - 11/10/08 at 14:04:01

no not on same holes but one that would do the same job as the Ls one, I spent over four weeks trying to figure out why my bike would start and only run for five to ten seconds then wouldnt start atall, good spark cleaned carb ok, changed carb, checked roter, pick up, cams, valve clearance, cam chain, tank tap fuel line, untill at last before major strip,ie. head off to see piston and valves,tried other cdi unit, still the same then tried other ignition coil and off she went,though the original coil was showing a good spark it seems that it wasn't enough to keep her running, I feel angry at the dam thing at the work it caused me, I thought that the coil would either spark or not spark so I am looking to see if theres any other ciol that would do the job to have as a spare as it is near impossible for me to get Ls parts,,going to try a short run tomorrow,,cheers

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #3 - 11/11/08 at 07:39:23

Hmmmm.....  You should be able to get another coil to work.  I think it would have to be from a CDI style ignition system bike.  

Or maybe I should say that it would need the same inputs.  A power and a switched connection.

BUT..... first check the resistor on the end of the HV lead (at the sparkplug end).  They do go bad and would do as you describe.

---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #4 - 11/11/08 at 09:19:21

Normal to find one on Ebay for cheap ...

yes one out there out now for $15 includes ship'n

IP Logged
kennycreed
Alliance Member

Island Of Lewis SCOTLAND
Reply #5 - 11/11/08 at 13:12:38

thanks for that but how would I go about checking the resistor cheers

IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #6 - 11/11/08 at 17:58:21

kennycreed wrote on 11/11/08 at 13:12:38:
thanks for that but how would I go about checking the resistor cheers

I've never noticed an actual resistor on the HV side of the coil. You can check the resistance of the coil with an ohmmeter across two contact points. The specified resistance between the spark plug lead and the primary coil terminal should be 10,000 to 25,000 ohms.

You should also check the resistance while the bike is warm. I imagine it is getting pretty cold in Scotland at this time of year, so let the bike run for 10-15 minutes at least before you check it.

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #7 - 11/11/08 at 19:03:59

Ok....  hmmmmm ... now that I'm home and have both the Clymers and the Factory manual in front of me.... I could be wrong.... neither have anything for check it.    BUT.......  

In many bikes , there is a resistor inside of the thing the slips on the sparkplug.   The big plastic thing......    It is the same idea as auto's with resistive plug wires.  Radio noise reduction.    My Son's little Honda had a bad one.   Had spark , but it wasn't a spark you could see clearly.   Replaced it and after getting  the bike un-flooded, it ran great.

Somewhere here I remember a discussion on the resistance value.  

In the parts microfische, on the page with the Ign coil...  it's a "CAP, Sparkplug", PN 33510-45010.  Around $13 USD....  which would be high for a piece of plastic that was only used to angle the wire....

EDIT: Just went thru the Fact Serv manual for my son's Honda, no notes there on the resistor either..... hmmm  possibility is going back up...

---
  IP Logged
kennycreed
Alliance Member

Island Of Lewis SCOTLAND
Reply #8 - 11/12/08 at 03:16:47

thanks all, I didnt bother checking it, I just swaped the coil from the other bike in desperation, I had nothing else to try, and shes ticking over like like a ten quid watch, so the original coil that never new its father is very deep in the gash bucket. I'll get a new coil for the other bike I checked it out and it will cost about 19 quid plus postage well worth it at least I will know it's good. And  yess it's bloo## Freezing here, a howler from the north east with snow showers.  Thanks to all who replied,,, am away to put some more peats on the fire,,cheers

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 12:19:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › spark

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.