hand guards? (Read 243 times)
firetruckredbike
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

hand guards?
11/06/08 at 11:30:46

Hi folks,

I bought some Hippo Hands for warmth (handgrip covers) and ooh la la, they do the trick.  BUT, alas, they also push on the clutch and brake levers at higher speeds (force of the wind), which is NOT a good thing.

So - what to do.  The Hippo Hands website offers little brackets that are supposed to push the fabric away from the controls, but they look too small to do the job.

So I am thinking putting on moto-type hand guards and then slipping the Hippo Hands over those.  But - I'm not sure which guards would fit the S40.

Any experience with putting hand guards on the S40?

One thing leads to another...if the Hippo Hands weren't so darned warm, I would not be going down this path.  "Here's to winter commuting."

Thanks and ride safe,
Amy

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: hand guards?
Reply #1 - 11/06/08 at 12:07:38

Would a plastic glass,like from Steak and Shake,pushed in there,after you cut out the bottom or something like that,might work.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
firetruckredbike
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 11/06/08 at 12:13:50

Bill, thanks, say a little more....what's to keep the glass from also pushing on the brake lever...how I am going to get my hand around the throttle with a cup in there - I think I'm not picturing what you have in mind correctly.  *help* Undecided
Amy

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #3 - 11/06/08 at 12:42:55

Cut about 3/4 off the bottom off cup,You just have the round circle in there . something like that.to hold the leather off the levers.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
firetruckredbike
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 11/06/08 at 17:02:23

Hmmm!  I see what you mean...not sure it will fit but worth a try...thanks for the suggestion.
Amy

IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #5 - 11/06/08 at 22:11:28

Pam,
Check out the link. A little pricey at $70.00, but would definately do what you're asking. if not those, maybe something similar.
http://www.motorhelmets.com/htm-bodyparts/sunline/pr-bodyparts-motorcycle-sun...

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 11/06/08 at 23:38:46

Well, the First thing that comes to mind is, put enough vents in them so they dont blow against the levers, BUT, that wouldnt keep the hands so warm, now WOOditt? So, What about a hole( Maybe pop the endcaps off?) in the endcaps & a stout wire looped from the bar end around & to the handlebar, to support the Hippo Hands? Piano wire is always in my shop. Finding a piece of plastic that would fit in the end of the bar to drill & poke a wire into should be no big deal.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
firetruckredbike
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 11/07/08 at 07:41:05

Thanks for the helpful suggestions.

On the plastic hand guards - this was my first thought.
However, I am having trouble finding one which fits the S40.

On the stout wire:  yes...I will try this...

Thanks again,
Amy

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #8 - 11/07/08 at 07:45:27

Ok.... thought about this one ... pretty simple..... Hose clamps,  and the thickest old metal clothes hanger you can find or a some thin "round-bar" from the hardware store.  Remember you will need enough for both sides.

- open hose clamp so that you can get it over the handlebar.  
-  take hanger  (or round-bar) and bent appropriately fo fit into the hippo hands  and so it holds the material away from the levers.  Also leave room to fingers to get over the lever.   It will have to get around the controls so that it will reach a spot on the bars to clamp down.
- Once you are happy with the bend, clamp it to the handlebar.  
- Optionally, use tape or old inner-tube rubber under the clamp & metal to prevent scratching the bars.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
firetruckredbike
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 11/07/08 at 10:25:00

Oooh, I like it.  Now I'm on a mission.  Thanks a lot.
Amy

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 11/07/08 at 21:37:17

Hobby stores carry Piano Wire, VERY stiff stuff, so stiff it sometimes breaks if bent double. I keep several sizes on hand, all the time, just for little projects like thei. The hoseclamp idea is cool, no doubt. Not sure if I could figure a more sanitary way, but sanitary schmanitary, keep the grippers warm First!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 11/07/08 at 23:15:08

I might use 1/4" aluminum bar or copper tube.

Both are soft and won't scratch the handlebar.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 11/08/08 at 09:40:28

If you had some kind of handlebar mounts, like a couple of small fairing / handlebar mounts, or mirror mounts to work from it might make it easier & cleaner And, as wwss mentioned, avoid scratching the h/bars.

IP Logged
firetruckredbike
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 11/08/08 at 17:59:01

Hi, you guys are great with the suggestions!

I went to the hobby store today and got some wire, some leather rope, and some thin metal bars.  I am thinking that rather than pushing out from the inside of the hippo hands, I will be pulling from the outside.  The mirror mounts will work better than the handlebars in this regard.  I am sleeping on it tonight and trying in the morning.
The S40's handlebars are pretty crowded already since these are short straight bars....

Thanks again for the thoughtful replies.
Amy

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 11/08/08 at 23:53:11

How big is the wire? If its really piano wire, if it's 1/8th thick, you'll need some high quality wire cutters to cut it. I use some Klein linemans pliers & put them on a vise & smack them with a hammer. Be careful, occasonally piano wire fractures & little Hard SHARP pieces fly off. Either wear eye protection or look away & close your eyes when bending it far enough to break it. Bending it to make it look anything near decent takes a long time & some good tools. Ive ruined several pliers working with it. A board with rods poking out makes a good start. Stick the board in a vise & pput the wire between the rods & lean it over, move the wire & do it again, make a loop, then close it up with a vise & pliers. Lots of ways to do it, some take more strength than others. That ones pretty low horse[power. You can get a tabletop vise from Harbor Freight, clamps on the edge O the table & has a lever on the side that allows it to swivel.You may have to take it all apart & clean things yup & tighten the bolt it swivels on to make it work worth a hoot, I did.Its cheap, so its worth it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 00:25:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › hand guards?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.