Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Savage attitudes? (Read 189 times)
savagespence

NEEEWBIE!!

Nashville,TN
Savage attitudes?
10/24/08 at 17:31:39

Ok so I've finally got my bike running. I will be putting the HD muffler and HP cone on this weekend. Now I drove it tonight for the 1st time and noticed its sluggish and will "bog" out if I try to gun the throttle. Any tips? Or is this just our good ole savages? I've owned larger bikes before and did not have this problem but I figured it was just the 650cc bike. What do yall think...

1996 Savage no mods YET..
savagespence   IP Logged
Chopped

Hurts Like hell when
you shoot yourself!

Stafford, VA
Re: Savage attitudes?
Reply #1 - 10/24/08 at 17:34:38

When  went to a straight pipe and little to no airfilter it bogged down on me all the time... a better airfilter and then I was in buisness!

"You are the choices you make in life..... I choose to Play Hard.... Ride Hard.... or Die Hard!"
Chopped BullChopped   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 10/24/08 at 18:03:14

That is definitely not a Savage attitude!....
Our bikes may lack in top speed compared to others, but not in throttle response and acceleration.
Something is definitely out of wack...

Sorry I can't remember the specifics of your bike but you say you just got it running.  Most likely a fuel problem.  Bikes that sit too long get varnish in  the gas.  Is the tank, petc0ck, carb passages and jets clean?  I save old guitar strings to run through carb fuel passages and jets,...very effective along with cleaner fluid.  Also check for gas in the vac line (should be none).
Check air cleaner.
Spark plug.
Valve adjustment.
A Savage should pull like a Harley off the line,..a least!...
Good luck,..stick with it,..you'll get it, and it will be worth it.

Forgot one...check the slide in the top of the carb...very important to good acceleration...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
savagespence

NEEEWBIE!!

Nashville,TN
Reply #3 - 10/24/08 at 18:45:18

Ok I just put a new Carb from Lancer (I recommend to all) on it and the raptor 660 petcock. I'll be mounting the muffler tonight and should get the cone air filter in the next day or so. I can rule out any carb problems and I'll check the spark plug tonight. Thanks for the tips and I'm glad to know that our bikes are quick off the line.

savagespence   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 10/26/08 at 06:59:42

These carb parts photos are from his old carb, showing some of the primary reasons that the carb would not function properly.
The inside of this carb was one of the worst I have seen.

JET NEEDLE
The deposits on this needle are amazing...the slide in the carb would only rise 1/4 of the way up when I first received it; even with upward pressure applied with my finger

FLOAT/NEEDLE VALVE
More crud

NEEDLE JET
Note the needle jet; there are 8 holes total with 4 sets of 2 on each quarter of the sides of the needle jet and all but 2 were clogged up.

MAIN JET LOCATION
This view of the carb bottom with the main jet removed shows substantial deposits around the bottom end of the needle jet.

MAIN JET
Main jet photo is not quite clear but the jet was completely closed with deposits.  It took me about 20 minutes to "drill through" and open the jet using a tiny barbed wire tool.

On the carb that these parts came from, with the extent of the deposits and the inability of the slide to move beyond 1/4 way up and the main jet being totally clogged and the pilot jet also being virtually totally clogged (no pic of that jet) it is a wonder that the engine could even attempt to start.
I have yet to get into the body of the carb and check the passageways but I would be very surprised if they are anywhere near normally functional.
If you happen to find a bike that has been sitting for an extended period of time it would be a good idea to remove the carb for complete disassembly and cleaning, looking for bad/torn gaskets and O-rings or expecially a damaged diaphram on the slide, and for clear passageways.

« Last Edit: 10/27/08 at 04:12:40 by LANCER »  
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #5 - 10/26/08 at 07:52:14

Thats whats good about SEA-FOAM,cleans your carb and lubricates it,It want get crud like that in it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
savagespence

NEEEWBIE!!

Nashville,TN
Reply #6 - 10/26/08 at 19:34:29

Lancer, I suspect the previous owner had this bike sitting for longer than was told to me. The owner said approx 1yr but I think ALOT longer. I've changed the oil,plugs,muffler,carb and cleaned the gas tank put in a new Fuelcock etc. Its practically a new bike and only has 4k on the speedo. Thanks again for all your help and thanks for the pics it lets me know alot..

savagespence   IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #7 - 10/26/08 at 20:31:53

What was he doing??  Using Oxygen Dihydride as an additive??

(Oxygen dihydride, also know as Bihydrogen Oxide -- Chemical formula H2O!)

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 10/27/08 at 04:16:07

drharveys - FSO wrote on 10/26/08 at 20:31:53:
What was he doing??  Using Oxygen Dihydride as an additive??

(Oxygen dihydride, also know as Bihydrogen Oxide -- Chemical formula H2O!)

I actually thought it looked a lot like the stuff you put in a leaky radiator ... is it Stop Leak ?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 14:31:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage attitudes?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.