Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Finally re-adjusted valves... (Read 143 times)
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Finally re-adjusted valves...
10/12/08 at 14:17:29

and dang were they out of spec. But I reckon that was my fault for not readjusting them after I put in the hot cam I got from Lancer.

Found a neat trick to find TDC compression however. When you go to put the engine on TDC, keep the spark plug in. When you feel it hard to turn you know you are on the compression stroke, stop, then take out the spark plug and use a straw the rest of the way so you know you are at the top of the stroke. Makes it much easier to find TDCC.

I also believe I figured out what is wrong with my decomp solenoid. I have some crushed and bare wires under my tank. Will be correcting that here shortly and see if that is the problem.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Finally re-adjusted valves...
Reply #1 - 10/12/08 at 14:38:03

Well,...    It's about darn time!.....
Grin Grin Grin
Yeah, mines overdue a couple thousand miles now too.....

nice that you caught the wiring prob too...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #2 - 10/12/08 at 15:20:25

Yeah, the valve clearance was so loose I am almost amazed the valves were opening at all. Now maybe I won't have so much chattering from the engine.

IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Reply #3 - 10/13/08 at 02:51:47

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 10/12/08 at 15:20:25:
Yeah, the valve clearance was so loose I am almost amazed the valves were opening at all. Now maybe I won't have so much chattering from the engine.
Are you actually admitting that you changed to a different cam without checking and adjusting the valves clearances after? Shocked

If so, 10/10 for integrity in admitting it, but your poor new cam . . . .

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
blacksheep23

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 10/13/08 at 03:09:26

do u feel any diff in hp with the cam on there?

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #5 - 10/13/08 at 10:11:40

Like all great ideas, keeping the spark plug in to find the compression phase is so simple and obvious it's great. I will remember this when I do mine next year. You should put this in the tech section

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #6 - 10/13/08 at 16:56:23

KwakNut wrote on 10/13/08 at 02:51:47:
Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 10/12/08 at 15:20:25:
Are you actually admitting that you changed to a different cam without checking and adjusting the valves clearances after? Shocked

If so, 10/10 for integrity in admitting it, but your poor new cam . . . .

Yes I am admitting it, I also admit that it was pretty stupid of me to forget that little detail, but all is well thankfully.

Quote:
do u feel any diff in hp with the cam on there?

Yes, but how much I don't know. What I do know is with the performance cam I can lift the front end (a heavy girder front end) of the FireLizard from a 15mph roll in second gear just by rolling back the throttle hard. I couldn't do that with the old cam.

Quote:
Like all great ideas, keeping the spark plug in to find the compression phase is so simple and obvious it's great. I will remember this when I do mine next year. You should put this in the tech section

Good idea, I believe I will.

IP Logged
07S40rider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Murfreesboro, TN
Reply #7 - 10/15/08 at 07:09:33

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 10/12/08 at 14:17:29:
and dang were they out of spec. But I reckon that was my fault for not readjusting them after I put in the hot cam I got from Lancer.

Found a neat trick to find TDC compression however. When you go to put the engine on TDC, keep the spark plug in. When you feel it hard to turn you know you are on the compression stroke, stop, then take out the spark plug and use a straw the rest of the way so you know you are at the top of the stroke. Makes it much easier to find TDCC.

I also believe I figured out what is wrong with my decomp solenoid. I have some crushed and bare wires under my tank. Will be correcting that here shortly and see if that is the problem.

Can someone kindly explain to me what exactly TDC is?  I keep seeing it in threads about valve adjustment and it is driving me nuts.

"One mans McGoofy is another mans McCuff - its like pure magic in a yellow rubber gadget!"
  IP Logged
cowspotter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ashburn, VA
Reply #8 - 10/15/08 at 07:27:19

Top Dead Center

Its the point on the compression stroke where the piston is at its highest point in the cylinder

IP Logged
Ian
YaBB Newbies

1995 LS650, 2008
FLHRC

Northern Virginia
Reply #9 - 10/15/08 at 07:57:43

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 10/12/08 at 14:17:29:

that trick rules!  thanks.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 19:23:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Finally re-adjusted valves...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.