Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Famous Oil Leak (Read 474 times)
PipJones

Fort Worth, Tx
Famous Oil Leak
10/13/08 at 17:08:52

I recently purchased a 98 ls650 and noticed after a week or so of riding that oil appeared to be leaking out of the cylinder head gasket. I went to a dealership and asked a tech and he said it was a rubber grommet that oil pools around. I'm going to be replacing both the grommet and the head gasket. any tips? and does anyone know the cylinder head-bolt torque specs?

thanks for the help!

Gargle, sputter, burp and die!!! The ways of my LS650!!!!!
  IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Re: Famous Oil Leak
Reply #1 - 10/13/08 at 17:42:32

You may have the well documented head plug cap leak. Details are described in this thread.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1099227295

Get yourself a Clymers manual as soon as you can. Torque specs are in Table 2 on page 147.

Cylinder head cover bolts are torqued to 6-8.5 ft-lbs
Cover Plug  is 18-21.5 ft-lbs
Cylinder head nuts that require a 14mm socket are torqued to 21-24 ft-lbs. Those that require a 13mm socket are torqued 16.5-19.5 ft-lbs.
There are also base nuts fore and aft on the cylinder that are torqued to 6-8.5 ft lbs.

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 10/13/08 at 18:04:14

Unless you are certain you have a head gasket issue, leave it alone. I see this every few weeks, someone sees a leak & suddenly, they are ready to just slap a new head gasket in,, havent seen it needed yet.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #3 - 10/14/08 at 03:07:14

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/13/08 at 18:04:14:
Unless you are certain you have a head gasket issue, leave it alone. I see this every few weeks, someone sees a leak & suddenly, they are ready to just slap a new head gasket in,, havent seen it needed yet.

Agree,  it most likely is the rubber plug ( not a grommet) which is just pushed in place.  You only need to remove the head cover not the entire head.

Get a new plug and make sure you seal it on.  Also make sure yo have the surfaces oil free or the sealer would stick too long.

Also, the new plugs have a improved design so don't be too worried if it doesn't look exactly the same as the old on.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Moofed
Alliance Member

...and the engine
just gleams...

Bloomington, Indiana
Reply #4 - 10/14/08 at 08:14:53

Maybe the OP meant the head cover gasket?  Mine started leaking by the spark plug after i nicked it getting the plug out.  At the time I couldn't tell if it was the head cover gasket or the head plug cap.  Took the cover off to tighten the head bolts at 4k miles and the plug was completely dry.  Of course I sealed it back together.  Cheesy

WWW Moofed MoofedOne   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 10/14/08 at 08:44:21

Theyn't no head cuvur gayuskit,, Boah! Its Just Gaskit GOO whut goes up thayur. ( use yer best hillbilly accent to read that, okay?)

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #6 - 10/15/08 at 08:57:08

I'm fixing my plug leak in a couple of months. It's nothing more than an annoying pita, but I don't notice any significant oil loss. For now, I just clean it off after every ride. When it cools down of course. It's gets on everything; battery box, pipe, side covers, pants leg and even a few drops on the seat when highway riding. I wiped down the fins about an hour ago. At least the oil has a golden look to it  Smiley

FSO
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/15/24 at 23:22:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Famous Oil Leak

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.