Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Just got new Iridium plug (Read 170 times)
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Just got new Iridium plug
10/10/08 at 18:32:47

I just got a new Iridium plug from Lancer, and I can't get rid of the impression that the bike runs better on the original plug. I test drove it on my usual stretch of Hwy. and usually on the flat stretch there I get it to 95 all the time, sometimes a tad over. And on the way back, there's a hill I approach with 75 and then going up the hill crack it open, and it'll pull up to 85. With the new plug it really struggled for a long time to get to just 90, and on the way back up the hill struggled to get to 80. I did the same test just last week while playing with the idle mix screw. Also in town it seems to need more throttle just to go with the flow of traffic. Another thing I observed, it also seems to need to crank longer to start. It also backfires more. The only improvement so far, is the idle seems smoother, less harsh. The thumping seems to not hammer as hard. Coincidence, and just a bad day for the bike, or is it possible? Temps were 10 degrees cooler than the last time.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Just got new Iridium plug
Reply #1 - 10/10/08 at 18:56:22

I think your a little lean,I'm lean and I run better went its hotter out

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #2 - 10/11/08 at 17:22:25

I hate to be a party pooper, but if your motorcycle was running well with the old plug, a new plug is unlikely to make it run any better, no matter what the advertising claims. If you were getting a true 95 mph with a Savage, you were doing right well. I would want to verify that speed with a GPS or a stopwatch before I believed it.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #3 - 10/11/08 at 18:13:55

Charon wrote on 10/11/08 at 17:22:25:
I hate to be a party pooper, but if your motorcycle was running well with the old plug, a new plug is unlikely to make it run any better, no matter what the advertising claims. If you were getting a true 95 mph with a Savage, you were doing right well. I would want to verify that speed with a GPS or a stopwatch before I believed it.

I was ridng that stretch of Hwy before wih my brother in law, who has a Nighthawk 750, and we were going about the same speed. He verified 95. And we were flying past the cars in the right lane that were going about 75. We often ride together, and of course at times you wanna know what goes. It always amazes me how hard it still pulls, like being behind a car in the right lane going 75, and then pulling in the left lane to pass, cracking it open, and all the sudden you're doing 90 already, and then it starts creeping towards 95, but eventually gets there. And that stretch of Hwy is flat, not downhill. It has no trouble maintaining 85 at a tad over half throttle. The bike has a gutted stock muffler stock 52.5 pilot and stock 145 main jet and a 2/3 spacer made out of 3 washers fron Lancer's jet kit. I had the other pilot and main jets in the bike, but it was running WAAAY rich, so I put the stock stuff back in. Idle mix screw is at 2 1/4 turns out, which is her sweet spot after lots of playing with it. Roll on from 40-70 in top gear is 9-10 seconds, verified several times. For almost stock, this performance is great. Others had to do alot more to it to get there. It even has the stock air filter in it.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 10/11/08 at 18:31:44

Bike speedo's are notoriously optimistic.  Verifying your speed with a Nighthawk is like setting your watch by the sun.  
If you have stock gearing and back tire size, your speedo is probably reading 95 at about 88mph actual.
Still, that's honkin'!  Plug shouldn't make any difference if it's the same heat range.  The Iridium should last longer.
Cooler weather, will make you a bit leaner, especially if it's dry.
Sounds like your bike does "A" o.k., anyhow...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #5 - 10/11/08 at 18:43:19

Don't misunderstand me - I am not saying your Savage won't do 95 mph. I AM saying I do not especially trust speedometers, on any bike or on any car, unless I have checked them against something else. That something might be a GPS, or a stopwatch and the mile posts on the highway. My KLR 650 speedometer was about 10% fast, so when it said 90 mph it was more like 80 - 81 on a GPS. I have checked the speedo on my S40 against a GPS up to about 70 mph, and it is quite close. But I haven't had the S40 over about 80 - 82 mph, and it was about topped out. The magazine test I have read on the Savage claimed 85 mph against a radar gun. Mechanical speedometers are also notorious for being nonlinear, that is, their error is not always consistent at different speeds. Most speedometers read high, so you think you are going faster than you are. I believe this is a manufacturer's ploy to make you think the performance is better than it is, as well as a method of keeping actual speeds lower to avoid tickets. Of course, you have no reason to trust the speedometer on your buddy's bike any more than the one on your own.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #6 - 10/11/08 at 21:08:07

I have done the spacer mod ,jet mod 152 ,and I still got 82mph,just the same as before,Oh I have a Jardene drag muffler,since installing the iridiam plug I increased my speed to 86 mph,top speed of this bike when road tested was 78 mph,   but some guys say they have done a 100,after doing 85 a few times ,I don't think I want to go a 100mph on a savage.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 10/12/08 at 20:05:23

I don't think I want to go 100mph on anything. But I have no doubt that my stock '95 will do it. I've tested my speed againt those electronic radar speed signs at several speeds from 50 to 85 and have been just about dead on every time. Maybe 1-2mph optimistic at an indicated 85. Running a pretty well worn 140/90/15 D491 rear and 110/90/19 front. Anywhoo. At 85mph I'm a bit past 1/2 throttle but not quite to 2/3. Will definately hit 100 but i just about soiled myself at 85. I personally just cant handle it. Then again even the highways here are pretty bumpy and Ive got stock suspesion so it surged quite a lot.

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #8 - 10/12/08 at 22:04:54

BurnPgh wrote on 10/12/08 at 20:05:23:
I don't think I want to go 100mph on anything. But I have no doubt that my stock '95 will do it. I've tested my speed againt those electronic radar speed signs at several speeds from 50 to 85 and have been just about dead on every time. Maybe 1-2mph optimistic at an indicated 85. Running a pretty well worn 140/90/15 D491 rear and 110/90/19 front. Anywhoo. At 85mph I'm a bit past 1/2 throttle but not quite to 2/3. Will definately hit 100 but i just about soiled myself at 85. I personally just cant handle it. Then again even the highways here are pretty bumpy and Ive got stock suspesion so it surged quite a lot.

Believe me even with rocket fuel you are not boing to get another 15 mph with the last third throttle,after 85mph it bogs down,all your doing is burning more fuel.
In fact I have tried using high octain fuel,my brother in law is a drag racer,he gave me a couple of gallons 110 octain fuel, same result even with my chin on the gas tank and elbows tucked in,85 mph.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 23:36:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Just got new Iridium plug

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.