Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Aftermarket Seat for S40 (Read 292 times)
JohnR
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Aftermarket Seat for S40
10/09/08 at 11:42:37

First time for to modify my stock 2006 S40 . . . is there a really comfortable seat out there that does not cost an arm and a leg that will fit the 2006 S40.  I see many pictures of modified bikes and the seats all look sooooo good!

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: Aftermarket Seat for S40
Reply #1 - 10/09/08 at 11:46:50

Unfortunately most of the seats you have been seeing on the Savages on this site were modified by the owners. There isn't a direct bolt on comfortable seat for this bike.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
JohnR
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/09/08 at 12:22:05

Thanks . . . that's what I kinda suspected.  So what do you do?  Do you measure your seat or can you just find one you like and make it fit?  Do you suppose there ones out there that are better suited to the S40 with minimal modifications necessary ?

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #3 - 10/09/08 at 12:32:19

I'm really not the best person to ask on that subject as I am still using the stock Savage seat, but there are quite a few on here who have done work to their seats. Hopefully one or more of them will chime in.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
seviersavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Smoky Mountains Tennessee
Reply #4 - 10/09/08 at 12:51:25

I went with a sportster seat I got off of e-bay, 60 dollars plus shipping I think. It is a two up one piece seat from a 2002 sportster. Supposedly 2004 and newer fit our bikes but I took a chance on this one and was able to make it fit very well with a little modification. It is tons better for me than the stock seat. It is wider and has a real kind of a back to it so you are locked in to your riding position, with the stock seat I was always squirming around trying to get comfortable.
Seviersavage

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 10/09/08 at 14:50:02

JohnR wrote on 10/09/08 at 11:42:37:
First time for to modify my stock 2006 S40 . . . is there a really comfortable seat out there that does not cost an arm and a leg that will fit the 2006 S40.  I see many pictures of modified bikes and the seats all look sooooo good!  

So how much do your arms and legs cost?
Now for a little toe you can put on a HD sportster seat.  Looks great, feels a little better than a stock '96.
or you can go with a police seat for a little more.  And those are made for all day comfort.
or check out paladin's solo seat.
and then there's robertomoes vrod seat.

WWW   IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #6 - 10/09/08 at 14:59:58

Robertomoe's vrod seat? Huh

Anyone have a picture of it?

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #7 - 10/09/08 at 15:12:34

Scroll down this link and you'll see a couple of reasonbly priced seats.
One of them is 1/2 to 1 inch wider than ours(which is the one I like):

http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/chopper.htm

Of course,I'm not sure what I'll wind up buying...yet.

And someone may know more about them than me.

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #8 - 10/09/08 at 15:25:07

I picked up a Harley Police Seat with the Air Ride cylinder. I have not installed it yet but I have a picture of my 2006 with the seat sitting on it to give you an idea of the scale. The way the Police seat works is that there is a cylindrical rubber bladder that goes between the bike frame and the seat frame. The bladder is pressurized by a small canister that can be filled up from any air line at a gas station or a home compressor. So you can dial in the ride.  Cops spend up to 12 hrs on this seat (OK...except for donut stops every 90 minutes Grin)

My challenge is not in mounting the seat, but in making sure my changes are reversible if I want to go back to stock.

Gort has done a nice job with a fully sprung Police Seat, but the air ride is a bit different so I have to come up with a few different approaches. Anyway, if I can find a free weekend to work on it I think it will make for a very comfy ride. And I spent less than $70 bucks for the seat and air ride mechanism. Which is about what my left arm is worth from my fingers to the elbow.

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #9 - 10/09/08 at 21:35:02

Comfort is so subjective. "What's wrong with the current seat?", is often a good place to start. How long is your inseam? Sometimes the hieght mod is all that is required to create a little more comfort. I reworked the seat pan on mine, to get more of a "spoon" effect, and also raised the front using the hieght mod. I've also added EdL's forward extentions (hghly recommend) to complete the seat comfort mods with the existing seat. If, after all this, I still feel the need to modify further, I'll go with a sprung solo.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #10 - 10/10/08 at 02:29:15

Jay's got a good point. Start with the seat lift mod and see if you like it better.  I thought it was a great improvement for my daily commute.

How long are you riding at a time? I ride 30 minutes to work and maybe an hour or so each way on my weekend rides before I stop and do a little walking and stretching.  I found a great deal on my Police Seat and figured it would be a fun project but it was not driven by gross dissatisfaction with the stock seat and lift mod.

There are a number of ways to improve seat comfort :

First, you can increase the amount of contact surface area, which reduces the pressure on any given part of your butt.  The problem is that as you make the seat wider you extend out laterally over the frame and have to find outboard supports like the head of the shock absorbers to keep your wider seat from twisting. Gort documented his solution using outboard springs here:

http://www.richard-perry.com/HDSeat/HDPoliceSeatConversion.html

Secondly, you can change the resiliency of the foam in the existing seat. Amateur upholsterers make the mistake of just jamming in more cheap foam, or carving up the materials in some new way, only to be disappointed when the whole thing breaks down. If you're reupholstering your seat, ask for an HR (high resiliency) foam, with an IFD (indentation force deflection) of 2.0-2.4.  

Thirdly, you can use non-foam viscoelastic materials to redistribute the pressure over top the foam. For example, the AirHawk air pillow or gel pads do that. Note that more gel is not always better. Gels absorb some shock, and redistribute your weight but do not provide the same dynamics as foam.

Fourth, you can provide mechanical elastic supports like springs or air ride cylinders.

So you've got lots of options, but there are no cheap direct replacement seats out there that bolt right on. The low volume of Savage seats, (and the fact that most owners are DIY cheapskates like me,) means there is not much of a market for aftermarket solutions.

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 10:30:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Aftermarket Seat for S40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.