Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Why would a 03 with 3K miles smoke?? (Read 119 times)
Nick
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Why would a 03 with 3K miles smoke??
10/09/08 at 13:15:17

Hi all ,my mom just bought her first bike (is that aweseome or what?), a 03 Savage. It has 3100 miles on it. She is just learning and can not quite ride yet, so I took it out and only went a couple miles and when I got back, it has a bit of smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe, and also from about midway down the pipe. Here is a pic showing from where it is coming from -

http://www.imagebam.com/image/9ea1c415346394

The pipe also crackles a bit, like a car when it is cooling down, that comes from the exhaust pipe.

The bike is stock, looks perfect, runs great, just discoloration on the pipe. I have changed the oil in it before I ever rode it and the oil level before was fine. I don't understand why it smokes, it is pristine, my bike has never smoked... Also, Im not sure how obvious blue smoke is, but if I had to say blue or white, I would say this is white smoke.

So what is the reason for it? Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Why would a 03 with 3K miles smoke??
Reply #1 - 10/09/08 at 13:34:13

I would say a couple of miles (maybe 10 minutes?) is not enough time to judge.  Although the pipe will be hot to the touch, it may not have driven off all moisture/fluids from the cleaning and oil change.  Keep an eye on it though.

Cracklin' pipe is normal.

Backfiring? (technically afterfire)

Header turning blue or yellow?

WWW   IP Logged
Nick
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/09/08 at 13:36:16

No backfire. the pipe itself when coming out of the engine is discolored, like many other bikes.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #3 - 10/09/08 at 13:48:57

Put some SeaForm in the gas tank,It will clean up the carb,and It needs to be driven and it might all clear up.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
rokrover
2005 No Login

torkenstein

SoCal
Reply #4 - 10/09/08 at 14:07:06

Each time I change the oil filter some oil gets around back under the header / muffler joint and burns off first ride with wisps of smoke.  Never been a fan of gas additives other than for long term storage.

IP Logged
sm96
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Toms River NJ
Reply #5 - 10/09/08 at 14:22:20

The spot midawy is where the header and the muffler is connected. My bike is a 96 and I got it with 1064 miles on it. When I too went to clean the carb out I noticed smoke from this point also. I had to take the muffler clamp bolts off and well as loosen the header from the engine and push the two together and retighten the clamp. It still isn't perfect and I dont know why this happened. Hope this helps a little bit. BTW. I used seafoam and it helped. Just dont add to much.

96 Red - 150 main and the rest is stock. Looking to do upgrades and modifications over the winter.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #6 - 10/09/08 at 15:06:10

Except for Sta-Bil when you store the bike for long periods - two or three months minimum - gas additives are a complete waste of money. Although not mentioned yet, oil additives are at best useless and at worst harmful.

White smoke sounds like it might be moisture coming out of the pipe. Run the bike at least ten or fifteen miles, including a a couple of miles at highway speed, and see if the smoke clears up. Once the engine and the exhaust pipe get up to operating temperature any water or condensation will evaporate off.

Sometimes judging the color of the smoke isn't easy. Generally, black smoke means the mixture is too rich, often caused by the choke (enricher) being left on. Blue smoke usually is oil, and it isn't uncommon to get a little blue smoke on start-up caused by minor valve stem leakage or ring leakage. White smoke is more likely "steam" from water condensate. Not applicable to the Savage, in a diesel engine white smoke is likely to be unburned fuel, injected into a cylinder which doesn't fire right away on startup.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #7 - 10/09/08 at 16:33:39

Sea Foam doesn't work for everyone,but it sure does wonders for most people.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
mikestrikes
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 10/09/08 at 17:12:23

Well some bikes just aren't broking in properly and the rings never get seated right, I've seen a few bikes with very low miles start to smoke, its simply from not seating the rings good in the first few hundred miles.

BUT this sounds more like some oil is getting burned off. Like the others have said take it out and get it good and hot for 10+ miles, then see how it does..

Good for her, make sure she takes a riders safety coarse !

IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Reply #9 - 10/10/08 at 00:50:33

Charon wrote on 10/09/08 at 15:06:10:
Except for Sta-Bil when you store the bike for long periods - two or three months minimum - gas additives are a complete waste of money. Although not mentioned yet, oil additives are at best useless and at worst harmful.
With you on both counts there.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 05:53:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Why would a 03 with 3K miles smoke??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.