Choke popping out (Read 122 times)
revsin
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Huntsville, AL
Choke popping out
09/27/08 at 12:43:09

Recently, when I decelerate with my hand off the clutch. Backfiring away like it always does, but this is something new... the choke pops out a bit when I decelerate in 5th gear.

I notice it cause the tone of the engine changes and the RPMs stay up much much longer when I let off the throttle.

What do you guys think causes that?

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: Choke popping out
Reply #1 - 09/27/08 at 14:08:12

What year bike??  Any modifications??  How far is it popping, first notch??

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
revsin
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Huntsville, AL
Reply #2 - 09/27/08 at 18:41:19

2000, no recent modifications. Has a supertrapp on it, everything else is stock. Bike has been solid for the last 3000 miles and this is just a new problem. I've had this happen about 3x's this week.

I'd say that the choke pops about 1/2 way out.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #3 - 09/29/08 at 17:25:53

More Questions

Do you know if the carb was re-jetted when the Supertrapp was put on??

Are you getting any mis-fires popping back up into the carb??  Would be a muffled dull thump.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
revsin
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Huntsville, AL
Reply #4 - 10/09/08 at 19:19:28

More Answers to More Questions:

I suspect that the carb was not rejetted, I checked the plugs recently and the electrode is a white. So it's still running lean. Tho I do not know that for sure.

I also suspect that I may be getting mis-fires popping back into the carb, I wish I could be of more help to you (and myself).

See the real problem is with this diagnosis is that I'm almost deaf (not joking, really am), I can't hear the engine idle, I hear the backfires and crackles, but any other sound is outside my range of hearing.

I recently did all the basic maintainence, air filter, sparkplug, hoses... turned the idle mix screw a halfturn out recently and that helped.

I'm wondering about the discs in the supertrapp. I haven't taken it apart to see how many discs the former owner had put in there. But that might be a culprit too.

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #5 - 10/09/08 at 19:28:56

I'm a little deaf my self,(getting old) try riding with beanie helmet or one that doesn't cover your ears ,you should be able to hear better and get a better idea.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
revsin
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Huntsville, AL
Reply #6 - 10/09/08 at 22:19:38

Update:

I looked at the supertrapp, took out the disc array to count how many were in there. I lost count of just how many the dude that owned it before me put in there!

But SuperTrapp suggests 6-8 discs! This guy had over twice that many discs in there!

So aided with what the manufacturer suggested, I took them out and left it with 7 discs.

So so so much quieter, when it backfired before it was like a .38 going thru my head. It still backfires (of course), probably running too lean still and adds to my guess that it hasn't been rejetted.

I dunno if I've actually accomplished anything other than not pissing off my neighbors as I decelerate down my steep driveway setting off gunfire from my exhaust.

Note tho, after fiddling with the idle mix screw the choke hasn't been popping out anymore.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 10/09/08 at 23:16:42

keep taking out discs until it stops backfiring.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 05:50:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Choke popping out

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.