Send Topic Print
Decomp solenoid (Read 161 times)
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Decomp solenoid
09/24/08 at 14:26:43

Got a slight problem, I do believe my decomp solenoid has gone out. I believe it has been out for several days if not weeks. The bike turns over and fires up every time.

I just checked it, I watched the decomp while I cranked it over and it does nothing even though the FireLizard fires right up. What kind of damage if any can I do if I run it like that because I do not have the money to replace it.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
DJM

'06 Red S40

Encinitas CA
Re: Decomp solenoid
Reply #1 - 09/24/08 at 14:54:48

From what I understand, all it does it make it easier for the starter to crank the engine. It would take more juice from the battery, so it would run it down sooner. If the bike is starting OK I wouldn't worry about it too much. But, I would fix it because I wouldn't want to get stranded if my battery was a little weak.

You said it still starts, but does it seem to be cranking slower or taking longer than usual?

Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 09/24/08 at 14:55:03

Where were you looking?

I think it needs it, to protect the starter. Might not BE the solenoid, might be the timer, under the seat, or a wire.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DJM

'06 Red S40

Encinitas CA
Reply #3 - 09/24/08 at 15:04:43

You might also try disconnecting the cable from the solenoid to the engine, to see if maybe the cable is binding, or something is jammed up in the engine.

If solenoid still doesn't move, see if it is getting any volts from the timer.

IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #4 - 09/24/08 at 15:14:41

My understanding of the way the system works is that it basically vents the exhaust valve briefly to decompress the cylinder and make it easier to start. If the solenoid is not activating, but FireLizard cranks up anyway then you should not expect any damage due to the lack of venting. Worst case is that it might not turn over sometime if your battery is weak and the piston is sitting at TDC when you try to start it.

A problem could exist if the ADS failure somehow kept your exhaust valve open a smidge, but I'm not sure if that is possible.  You might get severe afterfiring as hot combustion gases escape the cylinder before the exhaust valve would normally open. If you have the proper freeplay in the ADS shaft and if the spring is returning things to the normal setting I would think you're OK.  Perhaps some of the experts can tell you more.  Just my best guesses!

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 09/24/08 at 15:18:15

it doesnt hold open long at all. Put a hand on the cable & pop the start button. Or stand by the bike & watch it when the thumb touches the button.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #6 - 09/24/08 at 15:25:57

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/24/08 at 15:18:15:
it doesnt hold open long at all. Put a hand on the cable & pop the start button. Or stand by the bike & watch it when the thumb touches the button.

That is exactly what I have done. I was watching the solenoid cable as I hit the starter button, there was no movement what so ever but the FireLizard fired right up.

At times she does seem a little hard to get over the first crank then it fires right up, but most times it just comes to life without a problem.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 09/24/08 at 17:07:51

Well, thats a bummer. If it was mine, I would fix it, cuz I think its about the starter gears more than battery. Maybe someone will say"leave it be"..

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 09/24/08 at 17:29:49

The solenoid is a big electro magnet.
And it has to be fairly close for it to pull in.
Is there a lot of slack in the cable? should be.
take the tank off and you'll need a fast acting analog VM.
or hook the leads to the horn, I've never tried it but you should get a beep.
It's only on for 1/2 a second, so keep you eyes open.

WWW   IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #9 - 09/24/08 at 18:02:19

Slight problem with that test. My horn went out on me months ago and I don't have a VM of any kind. All I want to know at the moment is will I cause any irreparable damage by running with out the decomp? The FireLizard is my main source of transportation at the moment and may be getting a job soon (I really hope so) that will be about a 40 mile round trip.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #10 - 09/25/08 at 12:44:12

Damage will be wearing out the starter since it will have to work much harder.

Did you put a finger on the body of the decomp press. Solenoid to feel the click when youstart the bike???  

Also,  have you adjusted the calbe lately??  Did you do anything when you changed to the monster tank??

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #11 - 09/25/08 at 14:04:28

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 09/25/08 at 12:44:12:
Damage will be wearing out the starter since it will have to work much harder.

So, basically as soon as I get up enough money I need to replace it before my starter burns up because of the extra work.

Quote:
Did you put a finger on the body of the decomp press. Solenoid to feel the click when youstart the bike???

No, I just watched the decomp cable and noticed nothing at all happening when I hit the starter button except the bike firing up without a problem.  

Quote:
Also,  have you adjusted the calbe lately??  Did you do anything when you changed to the monster tank??

I haven't adjusted the cable recently, and it was working perfectly fine with the "monster tank" (I actually like that description  Smiley ) until just recently.

IP Logged
DJM

'06 Red S40

Encinitas CA
Reply #12 - 09/25/08 at 14:11:21

Before you buy a replacement, make sure it is bad. Could be a loose or dirty connector, broken wire, or even something binding in the cable to the engine.  Maybe some gunk built up in the solenoid itself that could be cleaned with a solvent.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #13 - 09/25/08 at 14:13:58

Good idea, and I just remembered something. The other day I took apart the switch housing trying to figure out how to put on a throttle lock, (didn't work, so I returned the lock) could I have pinched a wire or something inside the housing that activates the solenoid when I put it back together?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 09/25/08 at 19:27:08

You could hold it by hand, hit the starter & let go.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 10:26:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Decomp solenoid

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.