Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rebuild the clutch or get new springs (Read 77 times)
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Rebuild the clutch or get new springs
09/25/08 at 12:43:18

I have noticed that my clutch is getting less and less.  I only have to mov3 the lever a small amount and it is disengaged.  I have adjusted the cable and that isn't it.  I have lots of lever left when it starts slipping.  My bike has 17k miles.  Am I looking at a rebuild of the clutch or are the springs getting weak.  My bike is a 95.

What say you all?

Because I can!
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: Rebuild the clutch or get new springs
Reply #1 - 09/25/08 at 12:52:01

Don't look at where it starts to slip, look at where it starts to engage when you let out the clutch.     That should be only small amount from the grip.  3/4 to 1 inch.

On the PA ride, PhotoJoe said his clutch was slipping in 4th (he has a '87 w /4-spd).  Well, the engage point was about an 1 1/2 out.  We adjsted it in a bit but not to the 3/4 mark.   It stopped most of the slipping....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Re: Rebuild the clutch or get new springs
Reply #2 - 09/26/08 at 08:22:16

Bike is running fine now. I've been messing with the cable for a couple of weeks, but after TM adjusted it, it's now changing gears tight.

I too thought I was due for a clutch change. I hope your issue is the same as mine. I compare the cable adjustment to the belt adjustment. They both need to be tweaked a bit to find the sweet spot.

FSO
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 10:27:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rebuild the clutch or get new springs

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.