Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
600 mile valve adjustment..??? (Read 89 times)
Royal
YaBB Newbies

Ride like the Devil,
he's gaining on you.

Kansas and Texas
600 mile valve adjustment..???
09/24/08 at 13:11:50

I've owned a lot of bikes in my lifetime but I've never had one that said to check the valve clearances at the first 600 miles. Have any of you found that the valve lash was out after only 600 miles? I know a friend's son took his C-50 into his dealer's shop got whacked good in the pocket book and then found out they never even checked the valve lash. When he asked them about it they said "We never check them at the first service." I personally cannot believe my S-40's valves could be out of adjustment after so few miles or hours in the saddle.

IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Re: 600 mile valve adjustment..???
Reply #1 - 09/24/08 at 14:36:49

The stealership tried to tell me that "all LS650's need valve lash adjustment at 600 miles"  and wanted to charge me for inspection AND adjustment before they even looked at it. So I told them to forget it.

I did my own 600 mile check and found them to be within tolerance, but one was at the max so I adjusted it in by 0.001". Checking is a pain, adjusting is a piece of cake.  

However, I do think it is a good idea to do the whole 600 mile check, including the oil change, retorquing the head bolts, checking cables, etc. They don't call them thumpers for nothing and I was amazed how quickly things had loosened up.  It's your call, but I would not want to wait until the 5000 mile checkup to do all the required checks.

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #2 - 09/24/08 at 17:13:40

got my 06 new..just turned 11k..@every valve adj theyve been tighter than spec..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #3 - 09/24/08 at 20:35:49

I got a little over 4,000 miles on mine, and have checked the valves three times (OK, I'm a little anal). Each time they've been within spec. That said, I'd still check 'em. As was said here already, checking them is a PIA, adjust them (if necessary) is a snap.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #4 - 09/25/08 at 08:58:07

FWIW mine needed adjustment at the first check (around 600 miles). As far as the reason for needing adjustment, I can think of several including: unless you checked them before you rode the MC how do you know they were right from the factory? Shocked Shocked

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 20:24:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 600 mile valve adjustment..???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.