Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Black smoke from exhaust (Read 173 times)
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Black smoke from exhaust
09/21/08 at 09:07:10

1987 Savage, with about 17,400 miles on the clock, and SuperTrapp.

Riding back from Pa last night, I noticed black smoke in my rear view mirror on a heavily traveled Rt. 78. The sun has just set, my mirrors were vibrating and there were two 18 wheelers up ahead on an incline blowing black smoke, so I thought that the odds were good that it wasn't me.

I just finished cleaning the bike and added about 1/3 of a quart of oil. Also, I was backfiring like crazy on decel yesterday, so I richened up the mixture about 1/2 a turn counter-clock-wise on the carb mixture screw.

After I was done with everything, I fired up the bike and didn't notice any smoke. After a few minutes I gave it more throttle (bike was on the stand), but not too much, and noticed a puff of black smoke while letting off (decel). It smelled pretty bad too. It's not "steady" black smoke, just a puff.

Did a google and found black smoke=fuel problem, maybe too rich. My previous experience tells me; black smoke=engine problems ie: blown engine on my old Cutlass belching steady black smoke.

The only changes I made were switching from Castrol Syntec to dino oil (don't want to start an oil war, but need to tell all for potential diagnosis). I checked the oil before leaving Pa. for a 120 mile ride home, and it was just above center between the two marks. Checked it this morning and it was just above the low mark.

If Fido or TMack noticed any black smoke coming from my bike while riding behind me yesterday, please let me know.

I'm going to take a ride in a little while with Shar following in her car looking for smoke.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

FSO
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Black smoke from exhaust
Reply #1 - 09/21/08 at 09:18:25

17k is not too many miles
A black puff at thottle close is probably not a serious issue.
A blue one would, and would indicate worn valve guides (I tink)
Backfiring like crazy, did you check you header bolts and muff clamp?

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 09/21/08 at 09:22:15

Synthetic oil burns clean, no smoke.  That's one of the reasons I love the stuff -- I have an original Acura Legend that I have owned since it was brand new (over 215,000 miles and it drinks a quart a month easy.  Drive it hard and that will double or triple.

It would be an undriveable mosquito fogger if it wasn't for synthetic oil burning clean.  Very rarely do I see smoke on a hard take off.

Think about it, were you burning oil before but just didn't know it?  You switched to smoking nasty old dino oil, you know.

Next option, Justin had a consumption issue he tracked back to tired oil -- he changed his oil to fresh and his consumption went much lower (until the oil got tired again).  Just info -- I have not noticed this myself.

My bike didn't use any oil until I went to the mountains -- it uses a quarter quart a month now.  I ragged it pretty hard on the mountain trip and now it uses some oil -- surprise surprise.

I feed it synthetic Rotella diesel oil which does not smoke.  I top it up as needed.  I change it twice a year, but if consumption gets high enough that will go to once a year at filter change time.

You just joined the oil users club, that's all.  

Switch back to synthetic and see if your smoke stops.  I bet some 20-50 Mobil 1 would stop both your smoke and oil use.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #3 - 09/21/08 at 09:24:34

Header bolts, and muff clamps are tight. Wasn't backfiring two days ago. Well, not much anyway. Turned nasty on decel yesterday, but was riding pretty high up in the mountains. There was mention of altitude change maybe being the cause.

I just found a post regarding the fuel vac line. I'm going to take a look to see if it's dry.

Thanks for the reply V.

FSO
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #4 - 09/21/08 at 09:27:34

Was writing post while you replied OF. Just changed the oil before leaving for Pa. Noticed that the dino oil does burn faster. With the semi-synth, it seemed like I was hardly ever topping off.

FSO
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 09/21/08 at 10:41:23

Higher elevation = thinner air,...makes you run rich.  Black smoke is rich,..blue/gray smoke is oil.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #6 - 09/21/08 at 11:17:51

Thanks Serowbot.

I just took a blast with Shar following me. She didn't see anything, so seems I'm fine. Did some 0-50 quick rips also. Backfire's pretty much gone. Don't know if it was adjusting the mixture, but it's back to abnormal.

Thanks again for the replies.

FSO
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #7 - 09/21/08 at 12:46:42

if under 5k in elevation higher is not the issue...jursey has mountains???

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #8 - 09/21/08 at 13:09:34

thumperclone wrote on 09/21/08 at 12:46:42:
if under 5k in elevation higher is not the issue...jursey has mountains???

8 blocks from the Atlantic Ocean. I'm at sea level.

FSO
  IP Logged
savage2k
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 09/22/08 at 05:56:47

My initial thought was perhaps you had pulled the choke out a notch while cleaning the bike. Glad you solved the problem.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #10 - 09/22/08 at 11:31:06

Hi Joe,
   I didn't notice any black or blue smoke coming out of that un-trapped supertrapp.    

The black smoke on a quick rev is due to the slide which is vacuum operated.  In a perfect world it would close as soon as the throttle does.  But, since the world has friction, it lags a little.

You're best bet is to look at the sparkplug.

T Mack

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #11 - 09/22/08 at 17:54:10

I'll pull the plug when I hunker down in my Mom's garage fixing that oil leak. Don't think I should attempt the cap fix in the sand out front. Bad enough changing the oil trying not to get any in the motor. Stuff sticks to everything.

FSO
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 06:35:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Black smoke from exhaust

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.