Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Questions from new Suzuki savage owner. (Read 320 times)
aceshigh92
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Questions from new Suzuki savage owner.
09/17/08 at 03:42:50

I just bought my first bike, i have a 1997 suzuki savage ls650.
i been told the battery needs frequent recharging. how often should i recharge, what are the signs i need to recharge, is there an indicator light? what kind of charger is recommended.

thanks, Peter

IP Logged
forrest
Serious Thumper

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Kennesaw, Ga
Re: Questions from new Suzuki savage owner.
Reply #1 - 09/17/08 at 04:13:21

Did the previous owner tell you this?  Is it because it is an old battery?  Or one that has been run down a few times?  If he told you that then you may need a new battery.
There isn't an indicator other than the bike maybe reeeeaaal slow to turn over; or maybe not at all.

Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #2 - 09/17/08 at 05:42:57

Be sure theres water in it,I never have to charge battery during riding season.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #3 - 09/17/08 at 05:54:21

The Savage and most MCs will charge their battery fine if you get out and ride a decent distance several times a week without shutting the motor off and restarting too many times. If you are only going to ride on the weekends and then only for short distances (less than 10 miles) at low speeds (less than 40) then you want to probably keep your battery plugged into a tender when parked at home. A battery tender is also a good idea if you are going to to for more than a week without riding.

If you are riding everyday at highway speeds for ten miles or more and your battery discharges, you have a load (short?) discharging your battery.

Other symptoms of a low battery charge is a MC that either won't start or starts with difficulty. (Sometimes the engine will seem to be turning over just fine, but the voltage is low enough not to give a good spark).

As bill67 pointed out, check your level in the battery and refill as necessary. This is just regular maintenance. Also if you think you are having problems check the connections to the battery. (Make sure they are tight).

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #4 - 09/17/08 at 07:38:43

aceshigh92 wrote on 09/17/08 at 03:42:50:
I just bought my first bike, i have a 1997 suzuki savage ls650.
i been told the battery needs frequent recharging....

HUH???  The ONLY time a vehicle battery needs recharging is when it has been abused -- by leaving said vehicle parked with the key/lights on, by leaving said vehicle parked, ignored for long periods, or by a failure of a part of the charging/storage system.  I've done all three.

First is common.  Batteries really really hate going totally flat, I've never had one get past the third full discharge.  The second is common on low mileage motorcycles -- how many miles on your '97?  The third is correctable by getting a new battery (an AGM if you'll be parking/not riding for extended periods of time) and/or fixing the charging system.

WWW   IP Logged
aceshigh92
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 09/17/08 at 17:14:11

it has 6688 miles on it,
the previous owner barely ever used the bike.
would it be good to get a charger for the winter?
what is recomended?
and on the gass supply valve what is the equivalent of off on the valve? because the owner didnt have/give me a manual for the bike i might ask alot of stupid questions because i dont know much.

thanks

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #6 - 09/17/08 at 17:23:21

Did you check the battery for water,during the winter I charge about ever 2 months on 2 amps over night ,then take it off,There is no off on the gas lever just leave it on on.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #7 - 09/17/08 at 19:00:32

The Savage gas lever, or more correctly petcock, has three positions. They are PRI, ON, and RES standing for PRIme, ON, and REServe. PRIme forces the petcock open and allows gas to flow to the carburetor. It is provided so that, if the carburetor is dry, it can be filled to make starting easier. ON is the normal position. Engine vacuum turns the fuel on when the engine runs, lack of vacuum shuts off the fuel when the engine is stopped. In the ON position fuel is drawn from a tube sticking a couple of inches up into the tank. REServe operates just like ON, except that it draws fuel from the bottom of the tank. You normally leave the petcock ON. After driving a hundred or so miles, you will run out of gas. You then reach down and turn the petcock to REServe, which gives you about half a gallon of gas. Practice this move BEFORE the thing runs out of gas in traffic. And remember to put the petcock back to ON when you fill up, or when you run out of gas the next time it will be for real.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #8 - 09/17/08 at 19:01:57

First,  there is an download-able owners manual in the Tech - Ref section.  Use the INDEX which is one of the top posts.    It's real handy to have.

Next,  Most batteries will have a date of manufacture on the label..... well ... it should...  A battery more than a few years on it may need replacing.   But.... check the acid level first (also shown in the OM).

Next, you should get a repair manual,  the clymers manual is setup for the shade tree mechanic,  and the Factory Service Man is really great for the big engine jobs.....  (I have both,  I like the wiring diagram in the Fact. Serv. Man. better than Clymers)

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #9 - 09/17/08 at 19:36:51

aceshigh92 wrote on 09/17/08 at 17:14:11:
it has 6688 miles on it, the previous owner barely ever used the bike.
Poor little bike, hardly ever got to go out and play.  I do hope you intend to treat it better.

would it be good to get a charger for the winter?  what is recomended?
Depends on you and your "winter".  And your battery.

There are two main types of motorcycle batteries: flooded and absorbed glass matt.   A flooded battery has liquid acid that you can see thru the case or by removing the caps to the cells.  An AGM battery has the acid absorbed in a glass matt between the plates, no liquid acid to spill or check.  An AGM battery self-discharges at a far lower rate than a flooded battery, and should be able to start the bike after sitting for four-five months.  One month no problem!  If I were to be in a situation where I would be ignoring the bike for a month at a time it would definitely have an AGM battery in it.  If I had a bike with just electric start and no kicker it would (and does) have an AGM battery.

Assuming you are where the streets are cleared in the winter, assuming a sunny day at least once a month in the winter, take the bike for a fifteen minute to an hour or more ride once a month.  That and an AGM battery and you won't need to bother about the battery.

and on the gas supply valve what is the equivalent of off on the valve?
 Little handle pointed down is 'on' normal, draws off the top two and a smidge gallons of gasoline.  Pointed foreward is the 'reserve' position that taps into the bottom half gallon or so of gasoline.  When you are riding and run low on gas the bike will cough and spit and sputter and carry on to where you'll be wondering if something broke -- and you reach down and move the lever from down to foreward and you have 20-40 miles to find a gas station.  Both 'on' and 'reserve' off when the engine is off -- they are turned on by engine vacuum.  The third position is 'prime' -- taps the whole tank and is always on.  It is used it the bike has sat too long and the gasoline has evaporated out of the carb and needs to be primed to start.  (also useful if vacuum has been insufficient to keep the carb happy -- as in steady 75 mph cruise)

because the owner didnt have/give me a manual for the bike i might ask alot of stupid questions because i dont know much.
The stupid questions are those not asked.  Your dealer can get you a replacement owner's manual for a reasonable price.  A Chilton's is handy.  As is this forum.

None of us knew much to start with.   Scare me, tell me '92 was your birth year.

WWW   IP Logged
trev0006

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 09/17/08 at 20:58:20

That is some low miles.

Motorcycle and cars video collection
  IP Logged
aceshigh92
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 09/18/08 at 13:31:35

yes 92 was my birth year.

IP Logged
aceshigh92
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 09/18/08 at 14:10:32

what do you mean by Be sure theres water in it?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 09/18/08 at 15:02:12

If your battery goes dry, you'll need a new one soon.

WWW   IP Logged
aceshigh92
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 09/18/08 at 15:10:32

thanks

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:30:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Questions from new Suzuki savage owner.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.