Forks Forks Forks... (Read 253 times)
SavageBlues
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Forks Forks Forks...
09/14/08 at 19:02:56

Hi guys,

I intend  to play with the forks length on my future savage. I want to experiment with shortening the forks.
I understand (from previous posts) that the fork tubes diameter is 38mm and that you cannot slip up the fork tube on a savage(because the fork nuts hold the tubes...). I understand that in order to be able to do that you have to change the top yoke.
I guess I can have new tubes made but I'll have to try different lengths before sinking any money in this project.

Questions are:
Anyone knows what alternative top yoke could fit the savage?
Any alternative complete front end would fit?

Have a nice evening!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Forks Forks Forks...
Reply #1 - 09/15/08 at 05:01:46

I have an '82 Suzuki GS550 front end that fits right on the Savage frame and it does sit a bit lower...also has better brakes ... some model yrs also have dual brakes on the front for even more braking pleasure!   Wink

IP Logged
SavageBlues
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/15/08 at 08:55:45

Hey Lancer, thanks for the information.
When you say complete front end did you mean the the triple tree also fits the savage?
I have a friend that has a few GS850 bikes. I'll visit him and take some measurements. Maybe all the GS line could fit the savage! It gives me hope.
Thanks.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 09/15/08 at 17:16:19

Yep, the whole thing.  The front end I have even has the same bearings as is on the Savage.  The forks are set up for a single brake but the wheel I have ('83) has dual discs, so at a later point I can change out the right side bottom slider with a caliper and have a dual disc setup.

IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #4 - 09/15/08 at 18:03:23

Somehow I picture a "Savage stoppie" video will be posted on YouTube the day after the dual front disks are engaged  Wink

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #5 - 09/16/08 at 04:35:35

Hi Lancer, nice reading your posts !  Smiley

SavageBlues, I do not know why you should want to play with your front fork, but if it's handling you're after (you mention shortening the tubes) I would consider a cheaper operation first, which is moving the foot controls some 6 - 8 inches to the rear.

Once you've done that, you might want to consider DR tubes/trees too, which would allow to slide them up&down to stretch/shorten wheelbase to your pleasure, depending on the ride of the day.

Cool

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
SavageBlues
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 09/16/08 at 07:59:32

mpescatori, Yes I am also very interested in moving the pegs backward. This is part of the mods I want to make to the bike. I found a picture of one savage with this mod. Just saw it yesterday. My intention is to make a roadster out of the savage which means:

Low bars
Relocated pegs
Shorter forks
Chrome mudgards
New seat (higher seat, I'm looking something like 31 inches high from the ground)
Performance mods
Longer rear shocks
Maybe taller rear wheel (18 inches)
Roadster front light and front light holders
Vintage rubber fork protectors

I guess I'm into a lot of research, fitting and work. But It will be fun. And with the help of this wonderful forum I shall be on my way.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 09/16/08 at 08:44:39

look for tempster

WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 09/16/08 at 16:40:22

SavageBlues wrote on 09/16/08 at 07:59:32:
mpescatori, Yes I am also very interested in moving the pegs backward. This is part of the mods I want to make to the bike. I found a picture of one savage with this mod. Just saw it yesterday. My intention is to make a roadster out of the savage which means:

Low bars
Relocated pegs
Shorter forks
Chrome mudgards
New seat (higher seat, I'm looking something like 31 inches high from the ground)
Performance mods
Longer rear shocks
Maybe taller rear wheel (18 inches)
Roadster front light and front light holders
Vintage rubber fork protectors

I guess I'm into a lot of research, fitting and work. But It will be fun. And with the help of this wonderful forum I shall be on my way.

There are an assortment of rear wheel sizes within the Suzuki GS series bikes, from 15", 16", 17", and 18", depending on model type and year.   There are shoe and disc brakes, wire or assorted mag style wheels.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 09/16/08 at 17:30:40

Unless you're going to the chain mod, and swapping for a longer swingarm, You need to stick with a tire OD of 25" or so.

A 130/80-16 is 25.3" or so depending on brand, model etc.

WWW   IP Logged
SavageBlues
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 09/18/08 at 09:39:25

Verslagen1,
you are right on the wheel diameter limit. I didn`t thought about it. I went out and measured a triumph t150 rear wheel (19 inches) and the diameter of the wheel with tire was 26 inches. Same diameter for a Yamaha 18inches wheel!
So I guess maybe a 17 inches wheel would be the maximum that would fit. So maybe I`ll stick to the oem wheel. Too bad cause I really liked the Yamaha aluminum wheels.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #11 - 09/18/08 at 12:57:08

with that much Mod'ing,  wouldn't it be almost as easy to take the LS650 engine and stick in another frame???

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/10/24 at 20:09:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Forks Forks Forks...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.